Do you like your first name?

Options

Replies

• loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I don't actually go by my legal first name - haven't since I was a youngster. It was common and dull - so I switched it to my middle name. My parents and family still refer to me as my legal name but in a social setting they know it's my middle :)

Cheers - awesome thread!
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    yes, because is very uncommon so everyone knows what "Jaylene" they are talking about.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I changed mine as a teen. It used to be Aaliyah. But I changed to Allison. Now nobody ever calls me that, and I'm just Allie. Which I think suits me.
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    My name is Olly and I absolutely love it :) Always have......

I love that name!!!!
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Ashley is fairly common. I think I went to school with at least half a dozen more. My friends all called me Aly to keep it separate.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    My first name is Allen. I was perfectly OK with it until I went down to Alabama to visit my father's side of the family. Since his middle name is Allen and down there everyone goes by their middle name he is Allen and my relative's started calling me "Li'l Allen" (stretch that out with a drawl so thick you can float a shoefly pie on it)

So I perfer Al, Just Al.
  • confettibetti
    Options
    Mines Stephanie, SO common! I graduated with like 6 other Stephanies! I prefer Steph
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Mine is Cassie. Not Cassandra, just Cassie. I HATE IT.

Awww. Cassie is so pretty!
  • confettibetti
    Options
    Stephanie- I'm glad my parents gave me a normal name... None of the "Ajiclshi" pronounced Katie business. (I've seen a name or two like that, not that particular name, but similar) It was just common enough, but there weren't 15 in my class. Actually, I was the only one in my class in school. People seem to have a hard time spelling it, though... :grumble: I go by Steph usually, and to a VERY select few, Stephie.

Im Stephanie too! I hate having a common name, and there were a lot of us in school!!! :) I go by Steph, and Stephy for the little people in my life! ;-)
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    mine is Autumn...as a kid i didnt like it because it was so much different than all the other kids but now i love my name for that reason.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    My name is Kimber. Without the "ly". I think I would like it better if people didn't get so confused by it. New people always want to automatically call me Kimberly and that drives me absolutely insane.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I have always liked Kimberly, but never liked Kim. Ever since reading "Kim" by Rudyard Kipling.
    Kimberly has a much nicer meaning than Kim, too.

My mother's name is Janet- she hates it. I like it. My mom hates to be called that and has always insisted on being called Jan. I like full names, though. (Like not using the shortened version of a longer name. Kim for Kimberly, Mike for Michael, Gwen for Gwendolyn, etc)
    edit- BUT I like the shorter names if they are the given name. Like naming the child Tim instead of Timothy or Becky instead of Rebecca
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Mine is Laura.

I hated it as a child as I thought it was an old lady name. Now I like it. I think it sounds very mature and classic. I love the 1950s and Laura was a popular name back then. :) And Frank Sinatra sings a song called "Laura" which was inspired by the movie "Laura" with Vincent Price (my favorite actor!). It just gets annoying when I say my name and people think I say "Lauren" or "Laurie".

So, how about you guys? Do you like your name? Have you always liked it?

I'm Lauren and I do like my name. I too get called Laura and Laurie. Lauren was a very popular name when I was growing up so there always mutliple Laurens in my classes. I hated being known as "Lauren T" and just wanted to be plain 'ol Lauren!
  • ajohn252
    ajohn252 Posts: 158
    Options
    Arwen, said like are-when (yes after Lord of the Rings).
    I've always liked it and I've never met another
    person with the name.
  • Morningstar93
    Options
    Danica :smile:

It is different .. like me :flowerforyou:
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Love my name, Vanessa; its a Butterfly (and it totally fits me). Only thing I don't like is getting called Veronica, Valerie, Victoria, and yes, Vanilla....I got called Vanilla....

My brother calls me Nessa and my sister calls me Ness; my husband calls me messy-vanessy (he's anal retentitve, super clean, retired chef and I'm a mess in kitchen) and my dad calls me his little butterfly. I do have a million butterfly things; my husband buys me every butterfly piece of jewelry he ever sees; the good thing is he likes high quality jewelry and he has great taste. I think there's only one piece (a ring) that is a little outside my comfort zone. :)
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    My first name is Robin. I HATE IT. I always have.

The only reason I keep it is because I was named after my mother's father who was killed in WWII.

I purposely chop it in half and go by 'Rob'. Even THAT causes confusion.
  • teya44
    teya44 Posts: 29
    Options
    my name is Teya ... i love it cause no one knows how to say it lol its really easy all you have to say is T-ya funny huh ... i get ta-ya all the time but its ok ill answer to that too
  • Fitby31
    Fitby31 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My name is Meagan - its ehhh

1- i always had other Megans in my class growing up...ALWAYS
    2- no one can spell it correctly

Plus I was always partial to the name Samantha
  • Mustlovepugs11
    Options
    Mine is Angelina and yes I do like it.. The only thing I hate is when people call me Angie!!! :mad: :happy: