Do you like your first name?

Options

Replies

• discoqueen73
    Options
    My name is Sophia and I do like it.

I hated it as a kid and insisted on being called Sophie (which incidentially I now cannot stand!) but since I was 16 or so, I have loved Sophia, although all of a sudden it is getting popular with a lot of reality show women with children named Sophia.

Horrified! :ohwell:
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Mines Julie and I like it just fine. It's not too common but not too unusual.
  • zepdig
    zepdig Posts: 155
    Options
    my first name is maroun, pronounced like the color, and i love it. its a lebanese family name and it has been a pretty great conversation starter throughout my life. it is hard to come up with original names though. im about to have a baby pretty soon and coming up with a unique nice sounding name is tricky, so dont put to much hate your parentslol
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The only thing I don't love about it is that I can never find any of those little trinkets - like pencils or license plates for my bike - with my name on it. Not only is it an unusual name, but an unusual spelling of an unusual name.

Sometimes I go by Lori because it's so much easier, especially on the job or on the phone.

"____ Animal Hospital, this is Lorina, how may I help you?"
    "Maria?"
    "No, Lorina."
    "Marina?"
    "No, Lorina."
    "Mariah?"
    "No... Lor-eeeeeee-na. May I help you?"
    "Nancy?"

Lori's easier.

But I prefer Lorina. I was named after a Johnny Cash cover of a Civil War ballad. You can't get much cooler than that.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    My name is Lenneah (lyn-ay-uh). Most people mispronounce it or don't even try, but I like it.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    I neither like it or dislike it.
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I really hated Heidi when I was younger. I thought it always sounded young--there was no way to shorten it (I occasionally will get Heid or Heids from family/close friends) and it wasn't like other names. I didn't think that name "Heidi" would be taken seriously and of course, I rarely found "Heidi" things when I was younger.

However, now I'm starting to love and embrace my name. It's unique. I love the meaning---"noble one; star" and it hasn't held me back at all.
  • EmGetsFit
    EmGetsFit Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My first name is Emily and I love it! :) I didn't love it growing up... thought it was old-fashioned. But now I do. And who knew that later on, for ten years straight, it would be the #1 name for baby girls? (I was named after Suzanne Pleshette's character on the Bob Newhart Show.)
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    laura here. i <3 my name. it's ME. although if my parents had named me naomi or charlotte, as they were thinking of doing, i'm sure i'd have loved those too. esp naomi.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Another Julie here. I like it, but I always wished it was Julia. So much prettier.
  • Eeyore255
    Eeyore255 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my name. Only met 1 other person with it :) - Jeralyn (sounds like Carolyn or Marilyn).
  • ashumeow
    ashumeow Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am Aswini... I love my name. I hate when people pronounce my name wrongly.
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    My name is Laura too and I also used to hate it when I was younger. And also hate how people mistake it for Lauren or Lori!
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I hate my first name. Hate it so much I had it legally changed at 18.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    My name is Nathan and I don't mind it...most call me Nate....I had a nickname growing up "Buddy"....didn't like that at all. Middle name is a little weird though. "Loyce" but, its an old family name. Most people like my daughters name "Mckenna"
  • juicy011
    juicy011 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My name's Veda
    I like it, it's different... not too many people with my name
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    My name's Veda
    I like it, it's different... not too many people with my name

I have an aunt named Veda
  • PJmetts
    PJmetts Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I love my name, as an adult, Peggy, NOT MARGARET! The only person that gets away (got away) with calling me Peg was my Dad, called me Peg-leg-Pete. Not many real "Peggys" out there, but it's fun to ask. As a kid I got called Piggy by my 7 sisters and have a ton of pigs - now in boxes for goodwill. My dad named me so I love the name.

And Heidi, I love that name so much I named my daughter Heidi!
  • annadolezalova
    annadolezalova Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My name is Anna and I like when my friends call me Anke, but I hate nicknames like Anča, Anička, Andula, Andulka etc. :sick:
  • needernt
    needernt Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Meisam. I love my name