Band nerds?

Options

Replies

• vivian1616
    vivian1616 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    OH YEAH!! I also couldn't help but notice how SEXY all of us band nerds turned out to be. Eat your hearts out all you jocks and mean girls who wouldn't go out with a band nerd in high school! :smokin:
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Snare drummer checking in. Still embrace my inner band nerd, love me some DCI. A local show was Saturday night, so I got to watch the cascades practice since they were staying at my old high school. One of the lower corps, but their drumline is tight.
  • LeighAnnH75
    LeighAnnH75 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Saxamaphoooone! Marching, Concert and Jazz... total band nerd! Also played piano =)
  • anna0478
    anna0478 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    My aunt, sister, daughter and I play the trombone. Husband played trumpet and baritone, daughter plays the baritone as well, and my son plays flute.
  • missxlisa
    missxlisa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    clarinet from 4th grade-college! also drum major in high school
  • danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Yep, played the alto saxaphone from 5th grade throughout HS. But stopped and haven't picked it back up since graduation of HS.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Started on piano when I was just a little monkey. Played that through high school. I was pretty good.

Got the drums bug around 3rd grade, and when the school cymbal player got hurt, I took my chance. I hadn't practiced with the marching band, and couldn't stay in step, but I didn't care. I was going out to meet my destiny, baby.

Played drums through junior and high school. Marching band, orchestra, pep band, fife n drum, you name it I played it. Pep band was the best.

Gave up drum line in college and played in the orchestra. Eventually, while I was away, my dad sold my drum set.

Now I have 3 daughters and they all play piano. The oldest is starting middle school this year and wants to play drums. We got her a practice pad, some sticks, and a list of the 40 drumming rudiments (who knew, while I was growing up, that they'd change it from 26 to 40. Pretty sneaky drumming world!). We also got another drum set. Supposedly so she has something to practice on. But (ssshhh... don't tell anybody...) I like to get on it while nobody's around. It feels good to be back behind a drum set again.

Good times. BAND NERDS RULE THE WORLD!
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I played clarinet. Totally went to band camp. I was actually in the high school marching band while I was in jr high. Extra band nerd points! I still play a bit too. But I can't afford a new one so it's more like a trophy than an instrument these days.
  • CarlaRG
    CarlaRG Posts: 264
    Options
    Band nerd here!!! Played trumpet in marching, concert, jazz and pep band. Some of my best high school memories were on the band bus! ...that sounds worse than it actually was... (I joined band to meet my now husband who played trumpet and bass guitar)
  • gzus7freek
    gzus7freek Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, Alto Sax, Bass Sax and the occasional snare....
    I so miss band!!!!
  • EnviousDan
    EnviousDan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Tuba, checking in.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I played the clarinet in marching band. I never went to band camp, though.
  • Terra_Incognita
    Terra_Incognita Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Band nerds! My people.
    Mallets, marimbas, xylos, vibraphone, glocks, bells, cymbals

...and if I could I'd play this
    h26535D39
  • matthewdavidross
    matthewdavidross Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Percussionist here... Started with drums when I was 10, Snare in 6th grade, marched bass, tenors, and snare in high school (center snare.) Went to Morehead State and majored in Music Ed. for a year and marched bass for 2 years. I still play kit and have picked up a couple other instruments too.

So yeah, band nerd.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Band Nerd and Choir Geek! I played bassoon, percussion, and sang first soprano. Yep. We are all divas.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Band nerds! My people.
    Mallets, marimbas, xylos, vibraphone, glocks, bells, cymbals

...and if I could I'd play this
    h26535D39

It's... so... beautiful! :cry:
  • GraySkies_123
    Options
    Started out on flute in 5th grade. I quit band in 12th grade; by then I was playing baritone sax LOL
  • db34fit69
    db34fit69 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    The best time of my life was being in The Greatest Marching Band in the History of the Universe from 2003 to 2006

I'm on bass drum:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDbSx7QgK-I
  • eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Tuba player here. Was in the Michigan State Spartan Marching Band from 1986-1988. 88 was the last year we went to the Rose Bowl and I was proud to march in the Tournament of Roses Parade. Every year the Alumni Band does the halftime show in Spartan Stadium but I've been too fat to march the past few years. Maybe this year or next before I turn 50. Lots of great memories and awesome experiences.
  • emmacken
    emmacken Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I play trombone! I marched through HS and college and I am currently a band teacher. I play in various nearby town bands, I sing soprano in a chorus, and I am now getting involved in some local swing bands. I love every minute of it!