Band nerds?

Options
123457»

Replies

• RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Snare drummer checking in. Still embrace my inner band nerd, love me some DCI. A local show was Saturday night, so I got to watch the cascades practice since they were staying at my old high school. One of the lower corps, but their drumline is tight.

I always felt like the drummers thought they were so much cooler than the rest of us....clearly, they're hot too
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    It was a loooooong time ago (I graduated high school in 1974!) - I played clarinet during marching season and bass clarinet during concert season.

We were actually quite good as a marching bad and did a lot of competitions, both on the field and at parades. We marched in the Macy's Parade in Detroit, and at several Steeler Football games. I was just telling someone the other day that we marched in a competition parade in Niagara Falls (I'm from the PIttsburgh area) and our drum line, color guard and full band won first prize, and the majorettes won second prize. It was a record at the time!

I haven't played the clarinet since high school, but kept my hand in music - I taught myself to play a 12-string guitar and ended up playing for summer camps for several years, I took a beginner piano class at a college I was working at, and spent some time as a recording engineer. I was even a church choir director for a year.
  • Wolfbrown85221
    Options
    Percussion Here! Bass Drum Extrodanair snare ....now i play guitar, bass, drums , and sing!
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    This one time at band camp... it exploded.

No lie. My first high school band camp, a gas line exploded in the middle of the night. No one was hurt, but put a damper on the event.

Clarinet player here.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    That's me in the middle in 1984:

2guyve1.jpg

This was at our reunion last year, I'm second from the left:

2jcuk45.jpg

I also twirled baton and flag.
    My dream would have been to march with the Blue Devils :love:
  • urbanplum
    urbanplum Posts: 188
    Options
    Oh I LOVE band! Let's see ....

Clarinet 5th grade-college. Mellophone for pep band in high school. Bass clarinet and contrabass clarinet for wind ensemble.

Drum major junior and senior year of high school. Indoor flags and rifles senior year of high school.

Anyone else been to George N Parks DMA? It changed my life.

College:
    218148_1007921233544_2008_n.jpg

Junior Drum Major in HS practicing holds:
    208780_1008857256944_9028_n.jpg

I miss it. :heart:
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    I played flute, piccolo and xylophone.

I excelled at none of the above, but I sure rocked the hell out of the awful uniform. Werd.
  • brandynot
    Options
    Yep...I admit it! I played flute from 5-12th grade. Marching band in high school for 3 years...1 year flute...2 years on the Pom squad. And I LOVED every minute of it! That's why I can walk long distances without a care in the world. :happy: :happy:
  • Blonde_Gandhi
    Blonde_Gandhi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Bagpipe band count?
  • JamieG8991
    JamieG8991 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I was in band from 7th grade until I graduated high school. I played trumpet and I was on the flag line! :bigsmile:
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Flutist 5th grade until I graduated high school, color guard in marching band though (did it for a year in college and it wasn't as fun).
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Everyone knows to watch out for the trumpet section...

<--- :P
  • ravensfitnessjourney
    ravensfitnessjourney Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I am still a band nerd at heart! I played the flute from 6th grade until I graduated high school! I was in the top band and an officer in at my school and made it to area, fun times. I miss it!
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I marched, playing piccolo.
    Flute during concert season.
    And was a drum major my senior year.

Band geek 4 lyfe!
  • BoilerUpSlimDown
    BoilerUpSlimDown Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Flute/piccolo here. I did marching and concert bands in high school and college, and orchestra, state band, pit orchestra, and solo & ensemble in high school. Yeah, I was a super band nerd.
    Anyone else been to George N Parks DMA? It changed my life.

I miss it. :heart:

RIP George Parks :cry:
    I was never in DMA (I did different programs at the same camp), but I met him. He was amazing.
  • RebeccaJoyy
    RebeccaJoyy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was a trained ballet dancer during my childhood years, and when I got to high school, I traded in my ballet/pointe shoes for a flag! I figured this performance sport involved dance, so I got the benefit of both. I loved colorguard. Now 11 years later, I still do it! I'm 25, and have prolonged this hobby of mine, but I really enjoy it, and work hard. I compete in the most difficult class and am very competitive. Love it! Anyone here still do colorguard??

Last years performance that one a spot into finals competing against the best groups in the world!

http://youtu.be/3ZG3l7yKJm8

Friend me, i'm cool ;)
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I played flute from 4th grade through my senior year of college. And a few years ago, I picked it up again to play in a music group at church.

In high school, I played in Concert Band my freshman year (which is all freshmen)...then I skipped Symphonic band (which is most of the 10th-12th graders) and went straight to Wind Ensemble my sophomore year (which is the elite band - very few sophomores get invited). Was first chair my junior and senior years. Also played in the full orchestra my junior and senior years. Played in flute choir all four years. Was in marching band all four years - played flute the first two, piccolo junior year, and was drum major my senior year (the "leader of the band geeks" lol).

In college, all four years, I played in the regular band, flute choir, jazz band and pep band (for our D1 basketball team). I primarily played flute, but also played piccolo, and took a turn on the alto flute in flute choir. :smile:
  • JamieG8991
    JamieG8991 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I was in band thru jr high and high school. I played the trumpet and I was on the flag line! :bigsmile: