Options
    Yes, ALL guys are wired to cheat.
    x_x
    lmao

I can't believe this is even a topic!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    More food for thought for our evolutionary biologist: The struggle to direct or order one’s biological desires in accord with reason and moral choice/commitment is definitely a part of human experience but that does not mean we are “hard-wired” for cheating. It simply means that there is sometimes (or even oftentimes) a struggle to harmonize one’s biological tendencies with intellectual and moral choice. So, for instance, we may choose to eat something we know is not healthy for us. This doesn’t mean we are “hard-wired” for eating junk food it only means that we struggle to bring our bodily desires into harmony with rational thought.

I agree with this. I restrict my diet for two reasons: 1. ethics (strongest by far), and 2. health/fitness. I may be 'hard-wired' to eat what is tasty and satisfying to me, but resisting those foods which mess with my moral choice is stronger.

Food and sex are basic needs, so I think this analogy works.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Hope you don't mind, but I'm quoting this as my opinion too, since I'm nowhere near as eloquent as you. :tongue:
    Cheating is NOT natural, Kimmy. Cheating is the moral choice to betray someone with whom you are in a committed relationship. How can science even try to explain morality?

"Cheating" is a societal construct, though. I personally do not feel it's "natural" for people to be monogamous. Besides, the term "cheating" is relative.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    "Cheating" is a societal construct, though. I personally do not feel it's "natural" for people to be monogamous. Besides, the term "cheating" is relative.
    I guess I'm just not clear on what you're saying. My understanding is that cheating in this context is having sex outside of a committed relationship. In that context, I cannot understand how we can be "wired"to cheat because we are equal to all animals. I've never seen 2 birds get married and profess their love to one another. Being in a committed relationship is a moral choice, so to cheat is also a moral choice.
  • Bawlzar
    Options
    I cheated while playing Monopoly once. Pictionary too.
  • KimmyEB
    Options
    I guess I'm just not clear on what you're saying. My understanding is that cheating in this context is having sex outside of a committed relationship. In that context, I cannot understand how we can be "wired"to cheat because we are equal to all animals. I've never seen 2 birds get married and profess their love to one another. Being in a committed relationship is a moral choice, so to cheat is also a moral choice.

I'll be completely honest--I only came into this thread to see what you were talking about. :tongue: I figured it was another "LOL MEN SUCK" thing, but when I saw the more complex posts, I just decided to jump in. I'm not looking at it from a viewpoint of "cheating" as much as "sex" in general. As in...people are wired to have sex, not make a moral choice to cheat. I PERSONALLY don't feel that people are hard-wired to CHEAT in the sense that they're wired to make a decision to hurt others in that respect. More that they are wired to want to have sex with people on a basic, primal level. I also don't associate "basic primal level" as a negative thing.
  • fatfrost
    fatfrost Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    yes
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I think cheating is a possibility in anyone not just men.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Noooo, I just think they get caught more often. Although I have been cheated on by half of the men I've dated so who knows? It depends on the types of guys you go for too.
  • CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Yes. Both men and women are 'wired' to cheat. HOWEVER, it takes brains to overcome those 'animal instincts' and make a choice to cheat or not to cheat. Hence, you can gauge one's intelligence by the probability of them cheating.

Men and women who cheat are less intelligent than the ones who don't (yes I realize that this might piss a lot of people off, but it's the truth).

Watch this documentary (the whole thing)... it explains EVERYTHING.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA6nBS-KHEc
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options

oooh burn!
  • KimmyEB
    Options
    Yes. Both men and women are 'wired' to cheat. HOWEVER, it takes brains to overcome those 'animal instincts' and make a choice to cheat or not to cheat. Hence, you can gauge one's intelligence by the probability of them cheating.

Men and women who cheat are less intelligent than the ones who don't (yes I realize that this might piss a lot of people off, but it's the truth).

Watch this documentary (the whole thing)... it explains EVERYTHING.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA6nBS-KHEc

For those of us who are having trouble with their speakers, can you provide something other than a sweeping statement and a video claiming "Men and women who cheat are less intelligent than the ones who don't?" Personally, I think history and the world around us proves you wrong already, but I'm interested in your "reasoning" behind what you're claiming.
  • KimmyEB
    Options

oooh burn!

Pretty sure Patti didn't insult me in any way. In fact, I know her, and know she didn't. So...do you have anything of worth to contribute? :wink:
  • perfectingpatti
    Options
    Yes. Both men and women are 'wired' to cheat.
    Wired to cheat or wired to have sexual desires? There is a difference.
  • djsupreme6
    djsupreme6 Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    no they aren't wired to cheat and neither are women...there are just certain things you need to do with your partner in order for them no to stray
  • KimmyEB
    Options
    Yes. Both men and women are 'wired' to cheat.
    Wired to cheat or wired to have sexual desires? There is a difference.

THIS. Short and sweet, and what I've been meaning to say. :happy:
  • perfectingpatti
    Options
    no they aren't wired to cheat and neither are women...there are just certain things you need to do with your partner in order for them no to stray
    Wow.
  • perfectingpatti
    Options
    Pretty sure Patti didn't insult me in any way. In fact, I know her, and know she didn't. So...do you have anything of worth to contribute? :wink:
    I think Boom was meaning that toward the poster who suggests we're like animals. I pointed out that 2 birds or 2 of any other animal have never married and professed their monogamous love for one another, so how can they "cheat"?
  • KimmyEB
    Options
    I think Boom was meaning that toward the poster who suggests we're like animals. I pointed out that 2 birds or 2 of any other animal have never married and professed their monogamous love for one another, so how can they "cheat"?

She quoted our posts, so I assumed it was towards me. If I'm wrong, my bad. :tongue:
  • Wonkermann
    Options
    The answer's yes. I took a couple of red ones from the bank when playing monopoly last Christmas. I didn't have to, but i just couldnt help myself.

It's not my fault! I'm wired to be this way!