Door Opening Men - a question for you

Options

Replies

• iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I do this on a regular basis and it makes no difference if it's a lady or a man. If I'm coming out of a building or approaching a door I allways hold the door, or open it and wait if someone else is going that way.

It's called manners and the result of good parenting.

Another vote for this.

I also still open the car door for my wife...18 years in to our lives together. Just a simple courtesy and reminder of the place she holds in my life.
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I do this on a regular basis and it makes no difference if it's a lady or a man. If I'm coming out of a building or approaching a door I allways hold the door, or open it and wait if someone else is going that way.

this
  • KettleBellHoe
    Options

I second that

Im a chick and i open the door for everyone who is in my vicinity cuz why the **** not and people always do it for me... i guess your coworker jus has bad luck.
  • OlsenG318
    Options
    I have a question for men (I'm a woman). A couple of times when I opened doors for men, I felt they were annoyed/surprised. Do you feel bad when a woman opens a door for you? Does it make you feel uncomfortable? (I'm not talking about holding the door, which is just being polite).

Not uncomfortable, we're just not used to it happening that way. It catches us off guard more than anything. Thanks to the ladies who also hold doors.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    So she's saying they just let the door go in her face? Sounds like most women I encounter when walking into or out of a business. :noway:

FTR- I hold the door for anyone within a few steps of reaching it. I consider it rude to let it go when they are about to reach it.

^^this. I do the same.
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I adore it when men are gentlemen. I always feel so appreciative when somone holds a door for me, whether male or female. And a lady SHOULD say thank you.

Sadly many do not, some seem to view it as an offense or entitlement of sort. My husband is always going out of his way to hold doors, and it is amazing the number of women who stick their nose in the air and stoll through without even a glance in his direction.. I find that sad. More than once he has said he feels like stopping because of it, but his upbriging and gentlemanly nature just won't allow it.

Like it was said, treat others how you want to be treated. (even if they are total stinkerpots)
  • tbspoon09
    Options
    I like it when strangers hold the door for me, it is a courtesy that I rarely see in young people. I work at a middle school and many, many times go up to the door with my hands full and someone will be right in front of me and then just let the door shut. Don't get me wrong, I am the mother of 3 so I know how to juggle and I can open the door myself but on the rare occasion when a young person does hold the door for me it makes me soooo happy! It makes me have hope for the future. Also just the other day I was walking up to the door with my hands full and a young man(about 12yrs old) inside the lobby saw me and came out just to hold the door for me. It was great! It just shows me that they aren't all completely selfish or oblivious to others around them. There is such a thing as common courtesy but not everyone gets taught this at home:(
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I always notice men opening the door for me! Always. and it is sooooo nice. Love when guys are gentlemen. I always say thank you and often its a conversation starter.

Sometimes 2 men will have a "door fight" aka both of them standing their trying to be the one who holds the door for me and it makes me smile.
  • mavrick7
    mavrick7 Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, after leaving the gym, I held the door open for a Guy walking into the gym. I said, "hey let me get the door for your buddy." To my surprise, it was a husky, "butch" type lady. She replied: "thank you, you are such a gentleman" Whoa! :embarassed:
  • khara2012
    khara2012 Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    So she's saying they just let the door go in her face? Sounds like most women I encounter when walking into or out of a business. :noway:

FTR- I hold the door for anyone within a few steps of reaching it. I consider it rude to let it go when they are about to reach it.

Hey, now - I hold doors for guys...and girls if I'm going in or coming out and someone is close by. However, I don't get the door for the men in my family, even if I beat them to the door. It is just the expectation I have of my guys. Again, it goes to manners, and if I allow my guys to be thoughtless of me, I can't expect them to be thoughtful of others.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I find short skirts help. No, really, men will trip over each other running to get a door, grocery bags, etc for a little skin. It's quite amusing, and appreciated. :flowerforyou:

Seriously though, I open doors for everyone too. It's not just a guy thing.
  • millions0fpeaches
    millions0fpeaches Posts: 195 Member
    Options

This. Without being asked, my three year old held the door open for me as we were coming back from dinner. It's just the polite thing to do. She also uses please, thank you, you're welcome, bless you, and excuse me more frequently than most adults do...
  • Jonesie86
    Jonesie86 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    While we're on the subject...what makes men do the opposite, be a total jerkoff and not open or hold open the door for a mom carring two kids, one on each hip??

Before you ask does it really happen, the answer is yes on a weekly basis, to me around here...
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Courtesy .

Exactly.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    While we're on the subject...what makes men do the opposite, be a total jerkoff and not open or hold open the door for a mom carring two kids, one on each hip??

Before you ask does it really happen, the answer is yes on a weekly basis, to me around here...

There must be a lot of male JERKS in Washington state. Sheesh.
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I typically hold the door for anyone just out of common courtesy. I was raised that way and my boys are learning to do the same and usually race each other to see who can hold the door first:)
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    It cultural social training. That's how most men used to be raised here in the U.S.
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    I typically hold the door for anyone just out of common courtesy. I was raised that way and my boys are learning to do the same and usually race each other to see who can hold the door first:)

good job Dad!!!,...mine are the same way,..theres something to be said about being a true gentlemen.
  • BBehnke84
    BBehnke84 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    To the men who open the doors when a lady is behind or in front of you.

Why?

What prompts you to open a door for a woman?

My reasoning for asking is simple. I have never been in a situation where there was a man immediately before or behind me where I've actually had to touch the door myself. They always, always, always open the door for me. I'm so used to it I've never noticed it.

However, a coworker of mine has been complaining that she has never met a man in this town who will open the door for her!

So what's the difference? Why are guys ignoring her and tripping over themselves to open doors for me?

It can't be appearance because she dresses better, she's skinnier and she's prettier (not being modest, this is just facts). So it's not as if I'm getting special treatment because of appearance. So what else could it be?

What is this elusive thing that will make you open the door for one woman and ignore the next? Please discuss and enlighten me. :D Thank you.

*shrugs* It's simple, was raised to be that way. Be polite and courteous to everyone and as a man go out of your way to show respect to a woman.
  • Jonesie86
    Jonesie86 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    To the men who open the doors when a lady is behind or in front of you.

Why?

What prompts you to open a door for a woman?

My reasoning for asking is simple. I have never been in a situation where there was a man immediately before or behind me where I've actually had to touch the door myself. They always, always, always open the door for me. I'm so used to it I've never noticed it.

However, a coworker of mine has been complaining that she has never met a man in this town who will open the door for her!

So what's the difference? Why are guys ignoring her and tripping over themselves to open doors for me?

It can't be appearance because she dresses better, she's skinnier and she's prettier (not being modest, this is just facts). So it's not as if I'm getting special treatment because of appearance. So what else could it be?

What is this elusive thing that will make you open the door for one woman and ignore the next? Please discuss and enlighten me. :D Thank you.

*shrugs* It's simple, was raised to be that way. Be polite and courteous to everyone and as a man go out of your way to show respect to a woman.

Whoop!