Ladies, when you're at the gym...

Options
Does anyone else feel not so pretty at the gym? I mean, most of the time im makeup-less. Now, i dont look horrible without it, but just, not as good. There are always so many people, and sometimes I feel self-concious! Does anyone else get this?

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    You go to the gym to work..not look pretty :wink:
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    You go to the gym to work..not look pretty :wink:
    This. Those girls on the elliptical, with make up on and not breaking a sweat? Yeah, that's not helping them all that much.
  • SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options
    I enter in Beast Mode and then leave accordingly. It would be a waste of my time to walk in feeling less than awesome, because I would be too worried about others and not focused on my workout.

Here is what I think when I see people at the gym.

Fit person: "Wow, I want to be like you one day"
    No-so-fit-person: "Good for you for taking care of your health"

The end.
  • zeala
    zeala Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Honestly no, but that is because I am at a point in my life where I just don't care what other people think in a basic situation like this where everyone sweats. If you honestly think about it, how does it really hurt you if someone thinks you're not so great looking while sweating? What do you really lose? Nothing.
    I'd feel more uncomfortable if I went to a fancy event under dressed, because then I'd really stand out. At the gym, we're there to work out and I think most people are so focused on themselves that they pay little attention to others.
  • itsDorian7
    itsDorian7 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My workout partner and I joke about who can look the worst after our workout :laugh:
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    tight bod IS pretty at the gym. obvious makeup, not so much,
  • Leah2975
    Leah2975 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Feeling much better about this now! Im fairly new to this gym, and since one of the better looking guys added me to facebook, its been weighing on me a little bit more then a few weeks ago, since he's seen my pics of me looking amazing, and then its so different when im at the gym. not sure why I let the guy who I see check his abs out in the mirror 6 times in a hour bother me in this way.
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I arrive at the gym about 20 minutes after I wake up. So it's NOT a pretty sight. But I'm not there to be pretty. In fact, the more folks DON'T look at me, the better. However, I think I get what you really mean. I'm sure half the folks there would not even recognize me when I get all prettied up. What can I say? I clean up well.
  • CheekyRunner
    CheekyRunner Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If you're looking pretty at the gym you're not working out hard enough. I always get a chuckle out of the girls who do their make up to go to the gym. You are pretty anyway so forget the makeup while working out. Plus most guys at the gym like the girls who are more focused on their workout then how they look. :wink:
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    AHA - it's about a guy! :-P
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    nope because i'm there to sweat and work my butt off. it irritates me when i see women with full makeup and not a drop of sweat. seriously i want to say to them what's the point all you're doing is taking up space - go home makeup girl
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Maybe pick up some cute workout clothes? If self-consciousness is interfering with your workout, a well-fitting, bright-colored workout top might boost your confidence.
  • Leah2975
    Options

LOL of course. i catch him staring sometimes. pretty uncomfortable!
  • Ke11yJo
    Ke11yJo Posts: 141
    Options
    I get it. I feel very self concious at the gym. I am 47 and I see all these wonderful 20 somethings and my paranoia makes me think they are staring at me laughing behind my back. The reality is most if they are even noticing me at all are just thinking "you go Girl" .

I love the "Beast Mode" concept and next time I go I am going to see if I can find my inner Beast :-)
  • Leah2975
    Options
    nope because i'm there to sweat and work my butt off. it irritates me when i see women with full makeup and not a drop of sweat. seriously i want to say to them what's the point all you're doing is taking up space - go home makeup girl

See, there have been a few times where I have gone in full makeup, once after work, and once after a lunch date. I sweat a ton those days, and ended up wiping some off. but as far as the girls who refuse to sweat? i agree. dumb.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Feeling much better about this now! Im fairly new to this gym, and since one of the better looking guys added me to facebook, its been weighing on me a little bit more then a few weeks ago, since he's seen my pics of me looking amazing, and then its so different when im at the gym. not sure why I let the guy who I see check his abs out in the mirror 6 times in a hour bother me in this way.

you're there to workout not hook up. if he's looking for someone who doesn't like the way you look while working out at the gym then forget about the guy. superficial will only get you so far in life.
  • MNmuncher
    MNmuncher Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I agree with this! I sweat buckets when I work out so the whole make-up thing is stupid; it'll just wash off. I do usually end up wearing makeup because I work out after work and sometimes forget to take it off.

One other thing is think about how awkward it would be to wear makeup and then have to wipe off sweat and all the make up is then on the towel or your sleeve. YUCK!!!!! This has happened to me on the days I forget about it and I am more self-concious about that then I am without makeup. Plus if you only wipe half your face, you have a half-makeup-ed face which cannot be a good look. :) Hope this helps!
  • SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options

LOL of course. i catch him staring sometimes. pretty uncomfortable!

This reminds me of that episode of Sex and the City, when Miranda met that guy at the gym. When he finally came over and she was all gussied up he was disappointed! He said that I like her when she was sweaty and stinky from working out.
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else feel not so pretty at the gym? I mean, most of the time im makeup-less. Now, i dont look horrible without it, but just, not as good. There are always so many people, and sometimes I feel self-concious!

I know you asked the ladies....but just a little secret generalization from guys who are dedicated at the gym....

Hard working, sweating, beast mode gym girl > big makeup girl who isn't working that hard (if she was her makeup would be running all over and making a real mess of things, lol)

The reasons are countless from dedication and drive to knowing that the hard work is what is keeping you looking great outside the gym.
  • Leah2975
    Options

you're there to workout not hook up. if he's looking for someone who doesn't like the way you look while working out at the gym then forget about the guy. superficial will only get you so far in life.

meh....he added me after he's seen me a few times at the gym. dont know him, havent spoken to him.