50 Shades of Grey....Love it or Hate it?

Options

Replies

• tmbowen12
    tmbowen12 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have one thing to say...

There is better written, kinkier, and best of all FREE stuff online...

^^^THIS!!
  • pocketmel
    Options
    pure drivel - hated it. New Rules of Lifting for Women entertained me more
    Brutal! I like the way you critique a book. lol!
  • Felicia714
    Felicia714 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I liked them, however, I found myself skipping over the sex scenes from the 2nd book on. It seemed to be very repetitve. I can't wait to see what Christina Grey looks like though :)
  • mrsjaime_jor
    mrsjaime_jor Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I didn't care for the first one but decided to try the second one- I never finished it. It wasn't that it so totally shocked me; it's just very poorly written and I couldn't really get into the story. I agree that there are much better written and just as kinky stories out there! Media frenzy and the "taboo-ness" of it all made it a hit...
  • lisitabonita
    lisitabonita Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSn-oCq_3vcPoa5bOA7nNUBf7V-y-vwcheyRgVLRXoduKZ8cG5

^^ This. I really was bored by it.
  • SamiSamiBoBlammy
    SamiSamiBoBlammy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I liked them, however, I found myself skipping over the sex scenes from the 2nd book on. It seemed to be very repetitve. I can't wait to see what Christina Grey looks like though :)

I'm wondering how they are going to make this into a movie...
    If you take out enough of the sex scenes to make it R rated - you've lost basically everything except the emotional abuse. People are going to pay to watch that? smh
  • LittleBallofFurr
    LittleBallofFurr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Have to agree with the comments, if you want to, you can find better online, or probably with your own mind. The author admits to having no experiance with what was written, everything was googled and wiki'd plus a few interviews. Another talentless looser makes money off of sex deprived housewives....:( BLeh
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    It made me very angry. With whom, I'm not sure.
  • LittleBallofFurr
    LittleBallofFurr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSn-oCq_3vcPoa5bOA7nNUBf7V-y-vwcheyRgVLRXoduKZ8cG5

THIS THIS THIS!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I LOVED them. And for everyone that complains about the writing quality, let me sum it up like this.

Complaining about the literary quality of 50 Shades is like complaining about the story line in Magic Mike. NO ONE watched it for the plot.

Also, my boyfriend really appreciated me reading those books. In fact, I think he'd prefer I read books like that more often!

Twenty years ago, the writing quality would have kept this book from being published. People aren't complaining about the quality because they didn't expect it to be bad. We complain because we're utterly disgusted that these books 1.) Got published and 2.) Got validated by becoming best-sellers.

And, finally, the vast number of women who think it's romantic and are "in love" with Christian Grey, who's an abusive nightmare that no one would really want to date if she met him. He's awful and exhausting in his controlling neediness. Just from reading a blog about it with a few excerpts from the book, I want to sneak into his red room of pain, find something long and sharp and STAB HIM TO DEATH.

And, yeah, there actually are people who think it's well-written and that makes me very sad.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Last night I got a massage and my MT said her boyfriend was egging her on to read the book, because he keeps hearing his male friends talk about how kinky things got after their women read it. Have seen messages from men here and on other boards saying the same thing.

Well, guess what, fellas? I know of at least one woman, a crass idiot with a husband and child, who is full into the whole 50 Shades thing and directed that energy not toward her own husband, but someone else's. So if your woman is into it, hooray for her I suppose, but your junk might not be the only junk she's hauling.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i thought it was a riot! i loved smutty books when i was a teenager so it wasn't "shocking" to me as it may be for some.

i loved how ana turns him on his head...she has ALL the power!

oh, also i skipped any annoying parts.
  • ROCKNMIMI
    ROCKNMIMI Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to get thru book one for 2 months and I love to read. I think the book was seriously over hyped. I do not like the writing style of the author.
  • hrshygrl00
    hrshygrl00 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Okay ish for trash reading, but it was pure crap. Total fantasy, ridiculous situations, bad writing, and glorification of an emotionally abusive relationship.
  • rml_16
    Options
    So, I found the audio books on YouTube. I've gotten through the first and partway through the second. And now that I REALLY KNOW what's in them -- word for word -- I wonder how anyone reads them.

I mean, there are poorly written books (anything by Nicholas Sparks) and there are unreadable books. This is unreadable. If I were trying to read instead of listen. I would have put it down and never picked it up again after the first couple chapters. It's AWFUL.

And the sex scenes? Well, the first couple were a bit of a turn-on -- I won't lie. But now they make me never want to have sex again. Enough. It's boring.

And, come on! WHO TALKS LIKE THAT??? WHO ACTS LIKE THAT??? These characters are ridiculous and annoying and beyond fake. They're worse than I thought they would be.
  • tazhinshaw
    tazhinshaw Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I hated it. Thank God I only bought the first book! I just couldn't stand how they gasp every page and her dang 'inner goddess' it annoyed the heck out of me lol
  • rml_16
    Options
    I hated it. Thank God I only bought the first book! I just couldn't stand how they gasp every page and her dang 'inner goddess' it annoyed the heck out of me lol

Everything is "going to be fun," too.

There are so many drinking game words and phrases, I could die of alcohol poisoning if I attempted it.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand why people like it so much. I can find better dirty fanfic online for free.
  • Pineapples
    Pineapples Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I couldn't even finished the first one lol..