Dressing revealing & Self Respect

Options
123457»

Replies

• megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I have yet to see any correlation between amount of skin shown and self respect or self worth.

I THINK that the correlation comes from maybe Biblical teachings, not that I have any verses to back it up. Just remembering lessons from when I was a teenager, we were always told that if you respected yourself and your body, you would dress modestly, that you wouldn't dress in a way that would cause men to look at you and think of you in a way that disrespected your body. The idea was to attract men to your spirit, intellect, kindness, personality, etc., and not necessarily your assets. I'm not saying that's how I feel; just answering your question as to where this idea of how you dress vs. self respect came from...possibly.

Now, while I still have my faith, I don't necessary believe that showing skin means you do or don't have self respect. I am a modest dresser, but I am positive of my self-respect and self-worth, and I don't believe that someone who leaves little to the imagination puts any more or less value on themselves. I think it's a very broad idea. Some people who like to show what they've got have loads of self respect. Some have major insecurities and feel like they have nothing else to offer. Some people who cover everything up have loads of self respect. Some have major insecurities and are ashamed of their bodies.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Americans are prude. In most other countries it's OK to walk around half naked...or naked. The only reason to bash on others here for flaunting it is because you're jealous ;)

See, I wonder how true this really is. People are constantly making these "Americans are prudes" statements in these types of discussions.

Maybe its true, but I suspect that its more a matter of degree; the American fantasy of the hyper-liberated "other" somewhere 'out there'.

If someone walks around downtown Paris wearing nothing but a thong, wouldn't he still be seen as a kook?

Pick it apart all you want, but my POINT is that people outside of America have a completely different mind set. They don't hold back feelings and they don't worry about skin showing. Ever notice how much more forward people in other countries are? They say what's on their mind. Americans are so judgmental and prude and crass...every little thing offends them. Yes, I am an American. No, I don't dress with skin hanging out all over the place, so I'm not trying to defend how I dress. Just stating my views!

I wasn't picking it apart, so much as challenging the validity of the statement versus being thoughtless hyperbole mindlessly being thrown around.

I just don't fantasize about the great 'other' out there.

Honestly, as far as bluntness goes, I'd put Americans in the top 3 on this front.

From my experience, except for the beaches, Europeans dress more conservatively. And I agree that overall Americans are more forward and less reserved; ( friendlier too though)
    ##

I'm European and you're wrong. And Americans are only 'friendlier' in that insincere, disingenuous way... We do dress differently here, my American sister-in-law from NY was shocked at how little women can wear here but it's fashion! She and most of the women that went to her wedding dressed in a very matronly way for their age which people would consider very odd here.
  • dg730
    dg730 Posts: 62
    Options
    I dont care. as long as its comfortable.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    That's just what ugly or insecure people say who are afraid to dress like that. It's just like poor people who say money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a whole lot of hookers and blow, if you've got a whole bunch.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    There is good taste beauty and there is sluty and thats a big difference. At the office is one thing , going out at night sexy is good, sluty is good as long as it isn't his girlfriend, his daughter or his wife
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    do what you want, let it all hang out, theres a time and a place for everything of course , just dont do it near my food...or at walmart.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    [snip]...

My girlfriends had this exact conversation at the bar when a chick passed us in cutoff shorts and sports bra looking shirt. She was cute and fit. When they commented like "Wow, what is she wearing" i just said..you are crazy she is hot and we are just jealous, get over it. Now if she wasn't in shape and wearing that then the "wow" comment would of been justified.

Why would a comment be justified at that point? Does the fat girl in the cutoff shorts and sports bra have less self-respect than the cute and fit girl in the cutoff shorts and sports bra?
  • RockinBooty89
    Options
    Last time I checked I wasn't in middle school anymore. Who cares, size, outfit, its all just a way to make other people feel bad and I'm never going to support that. As long as you are clean and your hygiene is up to par its really nobody else's business how or why you dress the way you dress, just do you.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Last time I checked I wasn't in middle school anymore. Who cares, size, outfit, its all just a way to make other people feel bad and I'm never going to support that. As long as you are clean and your hygiene is up to par its really nobody else's business how or why you dress the way you dress, just do you.
    While I agree with you that it may not be anyone's business, unfortunately, this does not stop people from judging a book by its cover.

It might not be fair or right, its how the world works. People are going to judge you by your body, your clothes, your hair, your tattoos, piercings...you name it!