Breastfeeding pics - Curious

Options

Replies

• WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    My wife is breast feeding, and if we're out she will use a
    small blanket to cover up, or go out and sit in the Jeep.
    What ever she feels comfortable doing at the time.

This is completely fine to me. Blanket, towel, what ever.

My son HATED that. Do you want a blanket over your face while you're eating? You can nurse without covering the baby's face without the entire breast showing.

That's fine too. Really though you can go under the blanket, you can get a blanket that has slivers in them, you can make sure the baby has enough room and isn't being smothered. There's a lot of alternatives to just straight up having to see the kid sucking on the mothers nipple.

Anyways, I find the smut on FB to be unnecessary either. FB lets a lot of **** slide, which I find to be BS too.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I was always too embarassed to do it without covering up BUT was secretly jealous of the women that could. It is such a beautiful, natural thing... I am proud of the women that are comfortable enough with their bodies to display this.

Funny how we Americans pride ourselves on being so civilized and forward-thinking, but something as natural as a mother breastfeeding her child can become something dirty.
    Well said. I'm in America and I'm sick if people trying to criminalize it.
  • veggiehottie
    veggiehottie Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    It's just a baby eating. Natural, yes, but no more "beautiful" than a baby eating cheerios off the tray of its highchair. The bigger a deal we make of it, the more people will have something to react negatively to.

I have to disagree. It is much more beautiful than a baby eating cheerios. It is a direct, loving connection between a mother and child... And that IS beautiful, at least in my opinion. :)
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    its so normal...it shouldnt even have to be discussed. Babies need to eat...no matter where they are....Dont men pee standing right next to other men in American restrooms???? LOL!!

I think its so stupid how such a 'civilized' country like the US find it such a hot topic to discuss...breastfeeding.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Men can go topless. Women should be able to as well as far as I'm concerned. As far as breastfeeding goes, if I ever catch anyone complaining about it, I will choke the life out of them without hesitation or guilt.

So much this. Americans make breasts more of a big deal than they should be. And as for the "it's a private thing" attitude, that just makes it come across as creepy and weird.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    There's no big deal about breast feeding but it's not something I'd post on Facebook or any forum either x
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Seeing a tastefully done photo of a nursing baby wouldn't bother me. That being said, I was so sloppy HUGE when i was breast feeding, I wouldn't have allowed a photo of that to be taken. So, therefore, I wouldn't have put it on FB even if FB existed when my babies were babies.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    My wife is breast feeding, and if we're out she will use a
    small blanket to cover up, or go out and sit in the Jeep.
    What ever she feels comfortable doing at the time.

This is completely fine to me. Blanket, towel, what ever.

My son HATED that. Do you want a blanket over your face while you're eating? You can nurse without covering the baby's face without the entire breast showing.

It's not an issue with our son. Plus she uses a blanket
    that loops around her neck so she can lift it off of him,
    with out it sliding down or fallen off.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I was always too embarassed to do it without covering up BUT was secretly jealous of the women that could. It is such a beautiful, natural thing... I am proud of the women that are comfortable enough with their bodies to display this.

Funny how we Americans pride ourselves on being so civilized and forward-thinking, but something as natural as a mother breastfeeding her child can become something dirty.

American society has "issues" with boobs. I don't get it either.
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Interesting that people get offended for a woman using the breast for it intended purpose.
  • Ke11yJo
    Ke11yJo Posts: 141
    Options
    I have no issues with a woman feeding her baby. I kick myself that I EVER nursed my son in a bathroom stall because I didn't want some moron to make a comment.

Me too!! I nursed both my children in "hiding".

IMHO if the pictures encourage a more open understanding of nursing and enables other Mom's not to hide I am all for it. It is such a beautiful thing and I am never uncomfortable seeing it nor is my husband.
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    One reason women post photos of themselves breastfeeding on Facebook is that threads like this one still exist.
  • sds76
    sds76 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    If people are okay with seeing women in bikinis or half their boobs hanging out in low cut shirts then they should not have a problem seeing a pic of a child breastfeeding. If they do they are hypocrites in my opinion. I breastfeed and have breast fed 4 other children. If I was nursing in public you would have no idea unless you walked right up on me and were in the baby's face. I def. show less of my boob then half of the pics I see of women in bars.

In most countries it is considered the norm...but here in America so many people have made it so perverse. So much so that there are many facebook pages with half naked women on facebook but MANY breastfeeding pics get banned.

As for why people take pics, maybe because when they are nursing they feel so deeply connected to their child, or because it's a nice quiet momen with their new baby. I would never say anything about a picture of a baby eating anything, whether it be from a boob a bottle or baby food. Their is a hide feature for those that don't want to see it.

Of course this is just my opinion on the matter. Everyone is entitled to their own.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It's just a baby eating. Natural, yes, but no more "beautiful" than a baby eating cheerios off the tray of its highchair. The bigger a deal we make of it, the more people will have something to react negatively to.

I have to disagree. It is much more beautiful than a baby eating cheerios. It is a direct, loving connection between a mother and child... And that IS beautiful, at least in my opinion. :)

To the people involved, maybe. To everyone else, it should just be a meal.
  • Ke11yJo
    Ke11yJo Posts: 141
    Options
    One reason women post photos of themselves breastfeeding on Facebook is that threads like this one still exist.

Amen.
  • TXtstorm
    TXtstorm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I breastfed my children. In public, at times. Sometimes with a light blanket draped over my shoulder, sometimes without drape. If I was feeding in my home or the homes of friends and family, I did so openly. If I could locate a pic of me feeding one of my babies at home quickly, I'd happily post it here to prove a point. There is nothing shameful about it, nothing obscene. Perhaps your friend's pictures are particularly indiscreet? As someone else said, the general impression you'd likely get from one of my pics would be me cuddling my baby.

As for the suggestion that someone breastfeeding is flashing their tits around for others to see, I'd think perhaps those that feel that way have never seen an experienced mom breastfeeding a baby. There's not much to see... mom's don't strip to the waist first, they're just pushing a little clothing out of the way. Baby's head blocks most of the view of actual breast tissue. You'll see WAY more breast in most swimsuit pics or low cut tops or dresses. At least if you see a little peek at a breast that is feeding a baby, the breast is being uncovered for its naturally intended use, not to be provocative or as a sexual display.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    OK, I am a mom of 3, and I am no prude, but when does a breast stop being a breast just because milk comes out of it? I get the whole Mother Nature, all-natural, "It's a beautiful thing" crap, but please keep it to yourself and cover up in public since not everyone shares your idea of ...er...joyful bounty.
  • JLand918
    JLand918 Posts: 156
    Options
    My opinion would be this....no offense but your uptight. If seeing a woman feed her baby with her body makes you uncomfortable find some new uptight freinds. :)
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I don't like seeing it when I'm having dinner at a restaurant.

Yes I can look away, but it's the crash scene effect where you sometimes can't help, but look.

I think it should be kept between her and the child, but it's not my call to make as I'm 99% sure it's legal thing to do anywhere.

As for the facebook picture, yeah I don't know why she would post that and think her friends would want to see it... ?

The baby is eating his/her dinner too. It comes from moms boobs. Yep, that is what they're meant for.

Boobs have been sexualized for way too long. It's time to taken them back and make breastfeeding the beautiful, natural, satisfying act that it is for both mom and baby without the shame.
  • ltfitz89
    ltfitz89 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I am all for breast feeding, and someday in the far future when I have my own I will probably breast feed.... but just yesterday I was at work (I was working the register) and turned around to hand a woman her paint sticks and her two year old was sitting on the counter breast feeding right in front of my face then she pulled him off, adjusted herself, and left. Honestly I was speechless. There is nothing wrong with it, or doing it in public, but I don't want it to be in my face. If you are breast feeding I feel you should be courteous about it.