Why do MFP Men suggest Heavy Weight Lifting for Women?

Options
123457»

Replies

• AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy does not equal big/bulky/hulk'ish/manly body!!! Lifting heavy gives great definition and lowers body fat. My husband has yet to complain about my lifting - while it may not be super heavy - its not cute pink weights either.

This.
    Also if someone were to make heavy pink weights, I would be keen to use them :tongue:
    Like these?
    6.png

Apparently there's a women's gym that promotes heavy lifting and uses pink plates. I'm for it if it gets more women to lift heavy.:laugh:

MoreBean uses this picture as her avatar from time to time. Very cool.

Those are awesome. Do want.
  • embercakez
    Options
    Pretty sure I don't look bulky or manly. I'm only making my curves better by lifting heavy. Don't knock it till you try it.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Okay.

Am I the only one who is annoyed at the implication that only men play football?

I play football!

Australian Rules Football to be exact but it's one of the most hardcore sports in the world.

Oh, and I wear skirts and heels daily. I also lift heavy because a strong opponent is harder to tackle :wink:

::shimmies off to go kick more *kitten*::

PS: In case you were wondering what Aussie Rules is like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqymJpIhpPY
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend heavy lifting but I would recommend weights as a way to tone and develop good muscle balance. Free weights as opposed to machines. Light to moderate with more reps and a few sets.
    No. Heavier weights with fewer reps. If you can complete more than 10-12 good form reps, it's time to increase your weight! :wink:

I personally am going for *strength*. Not only do I regularly have to tote around toddlers, library bags full of books, move furniture, and lift heavy patients...I also like to hear my (mostly male) partners in the dojo say "#$@*, you don't look like you would hit that hard!"
    And no, I am not bulky, and I don't look like a man.
    2012-3-16_zpsea155996.jpg
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be filling in for Ray Lewis this season.