Cheating on your Spouse

Options
dakotababy
dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
Hey everyone.

I have recently found out that one of my "brother-in-law's" wife has been cheating on him (for at least the last month for what we now know of). The family is fairly devastated, and this in my eyes is tragic. They both appeared to be so happy and "in love" on the outside - but I guess we never really know what happens behind the closed doors of a marriage.

Now I get it - people cheat. They cheat because they are not getting any at home, they cheat for the "excitement" (perhaps followed by a rush of guilt!), they cheat because they no longer love their partner and just want to feel wanted by someone. These are some of the reasons for cheating.

I want to know WHY DO SPOUSES NOT TELL THEIR PARTNER THEY ARE THINKING OF CHEATING? I mean especially a married couple!! My in-laws were together for 7 years, and it just blows my mind that the wife could not approach her HUSBAND and say "Look, I am not happy in our marriage and I have been contemplating cheating on you". or "I am not happy, I am thinking of leaving". Instead what often happens is a wife/husband just cheats or packs up and leaves without any word of warning! I mean, yes there is the "unspoken warnings" but i figure if you have been with someone for 5, 6, 7 - 50 years you would be able to approach them and SAY "I am thinking of ending the relationship/cheating/leaving..etc".

So - please, someone enlighten me to this phenomena as to WHY A SPOUSE DOES NOT TELL THEIR PARTNER THEY ARE CONTEMPLATING CHEATING/LEAVING?

I have a few ideas, but I would love to hear other opinions as well as if you were the one who cheated *if you want*

Replies

• MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Sometimes they might want the security of home and the excitement of something new. If they can keep it up they can have the best of both worlds.
  • dakotababy
    Options
    I guess, that would definitely apply in some cases!
  • guildwars1987
    guildwars1987 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Maybe they still love their spouse but want the thrill of being with another person. Like you said there are many reasons why they would not tell someone. And think about it, if someone were to tell their spouse that, what stops the spouse from saying "f this, I'm leaving"?
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Sometimes they might want the security of home and the excitement of something new. If they can keep it up they can have the best of both worlds.

I agree with this. A lot of people don't want to give up their home life....kids, house, security....but yet they want to feel "wanted" which maybe isn't the case at home what with all the added stress of life and whatnot.
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Chubbyhulagirl Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Simply because a lot of people are not decent human beings and do not know how to be decent. Communication and taking responsibility for their part in a relationship is not top priority.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Maybe they still love their spouse but want the thrill of being with another person. Like you said there are many reasons why they would not tell someone. And think about it, if someone were to tell their spouse that, what stops the spouse from saying "f this, I'm leaving"?

This.
  • dakotababy
    Options
    I just feel like its really not a true answer to the question. Think about it - Put yourself in the shoes of a miserable husband who is thinking of cheating on his wife.

Why not just tell her that instead of just cheating?

I just read through some of the other answers, and I definitely believe the whole "I want security, but I want to cheat still" could make sense...though that sounds so silly typing it out.
  • Betsybeee
    Betsybeee Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have been dating the same man for 5 years. We are engaged to be married. I recently listened to my intuition that something was wrong. He denied anything. I became my own private investigator. I have proof that he has been cheating on me. He has also been contacting and meeting women from Craigslist. We aren't even married yet! I don't understand. Our sex life is good. We go out together and have fun alot. It's obviously ruined our relationship.

I can't answer your question. Perhaps I'll learn something from some of your replies. It really sucks.
  • scottg1024
    Options
    Several things come to mind where one might not tell the other.

The thrill or excitement.

A sense of revenge - the other "deserves it" based on their behavior (also flirting or cheating)

Fear of loss of security

Didn't expect that something that seemed innocent at first would go that far. The slippery slope.

Lack of maturity

I'm sure there are a lot more.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Guilt, no other reason. They feel guilty that they are going to have sex with someone not their spouse. Excitement and all that is secondary.
  • dakotababy
    Options
    I have been dating the same man for 5 years. We are engaged to be married. I recently listened to my intuition that something was wrong. He denied anything. I became my own private investigator. I have proof that he has been cheating on me. He has also been contacting and meeting women from Craigslist. We aren't even married yet! I don't understand. Our sex life is good. We go out together and have fun alot. It's obviously ruined our relationship.

I can't answer your question. Perhaps I'll learn something from some of your replies. It really sucks.

I am so sorry to hear this. It is just crazy how he could not have told you he thought there was issues/he was not happy. You would think you could trust a person enough to say something...especially a future husband.

What lead to your intuition? Was there any signs now that you think back?
  • dakotababy
    Options
    Several things come to mind where one might not tell the other.

The thrill or excitement.

A sense of revenge - the other "deserves it" based on their behavior (also flirting or cheating)

Fear of loss of security

Didn't expect that something that seemed innocent at first would go that far. The slippery slope.

Lack of maturity

I'm sure there are a lot more.

Wow - thank you so much, this definitely sounds like it. Especially the "Slippery Slope". I understand people may have fantasies of cheating, and how easily one thing could lead to another. This makes sense.
  • dakotababy
    Options
    "Guilt" and "Shame" were some of my ideas for sure. That the thought of admitting the relationship is so bad, or the shame in even considering cheating would make a person unlikely to tell the spouse they are going to cheat.

Thank you very much.
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    In an ideal world, everyone would wait to get married until they're capable of putting their big girl/boy britches on and accepting that one of the requirements of a successful marriage is to have healthy communication skills.

As I said, though: in an ideal world. The reality is that a lot of people who would rather cheat or let things implode in some other way, than to honestly communicate with each other before the relationship is beyond salvaging, get married anyway.
  • halfretird
    halfretird Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    There are times when a person continues to tell their spouse what they are not happy about and it goes through one ear and out the other..someone in that relationship may not be listening..and all it takes is for one person to listen to their problems. Maybe show some attention that they havent received in a long time.
  • I_wanna_live
    I_wanna_live Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    and people wonder why; I don't want a relationship with anyone... Bumping just to read
  • LilEmm
    LilEmm Posts: 240
    Options
    edit
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    what makes you think they those things weren't said? Cause in my experience they were..and nothing changed.
  • _Sara_A_
    _Sara_A_ Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm very very opinionated on this topic as my boyfriend's ex wife did this very thing. Not only did she cheat on him, she used him by convincing him that if he moved with her to a new city that they would work on their marriage. He agreed and they packed up their things as well as their children's and moved. Once they got off the plane her attitude changed and she no longer wanted him (my boyfriend). Her brilliant idea was that they live in the same apartment and date different people but continue to live together. My boyfriend proceeded to pack up his things as she said she no longer loved him!
  • ken1994
    ken1994 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I see the words thrill and excitement but I think the overall feeling shoud be respect. How can you not respect your spouse enough to not have this discussion. I don't get it but I guess that is a good thing. Sucks that one brief momnt can send such a ripple through an entire family.
This discussion has been closed.