Cheating on your Spouse

Options

Replies

• DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    People on this site are too judgmental.

I'm going to tell some rather personal things here.

I cheated on my ex once. My ex used to slap me around. He used to insult and degrade me on a daily basis, telling me I was fat (I was a size 10 back then) and no wonder my father didn't want me (I haven't seen him since I was 4).

Every time I left the house without him I was accused of cheating. He didn't like me working. He didn't like me seeing my family. He was a control freak.

One day, I met a guy through a friend who said all the right things to me. He was the first person I opened up to, mainly because he caught me crying in the toilet at a friends house party after a particularly vicious row.

He was there for me, and a couple of months down the line, I slept with him. I couldn't have told my partner I was thinking about cheating on him, the ensuing argument and violence wasn't worth it, and it wasn't a planned thing.

Before anyone thinks; 'why didn't you leave him?' it was my first relationship, and he had ground down my confidence so much I didn't think I could function on my own.

Am I a 'horrible person'? Am I a 'coward'?

Anyone that can form that sort of opinion of me or anyone else without realizing there are two sides to every story is far too judgmental, in my opinion.

Are you horrible? No. Are you a coward? Yes. Everything you shared is just a justified excuse as to why you should feel ok that you did it. His bad behavior doesn't negate your bad behavior.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    You are not in their house or living their lives. You have [i[no[/'i] idea what went on between the two of them behind closed doors. You said yourself that they seemed happy and in love on the outside. Again, you have no idea what went on at home behind closed doors. You don't know if there were discussions, arguments, tears, counseling. You have no idea what either person is thinking. You don't know the reasons why the cheating happened and in all honesty you never will because you will only get one side of the story: The person who was cheated on and believe me that side can taint you for life.

There's a plethora of reasons why a person would cheat and sure it's easy to sit there and say "Well just say something and leave the other person" but sometimes it might not be that easy. You have no idea what goes on in the mind of someone else or what goes on behind their doors unless you are that person and you are there.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

I cheated on my ex once. My ex used to slap me around. He used to insult and degrade me on a daily basis, telling me I was fat (I was a size 10 back then) and no wonder my father didn't want me (I haven't seen him since I was 4).

Every time I left the house without him I was accused of cheating. He didn't like me working. He didn't like me seeing my family. He was a control freak.

One day, I met a guy through a friend who said all the right things to me. He was the first person I opened up to, mainly because he caught me crying in the toilet at a friends house party after a particularly vicious row.

He was there for me, and a couple of months down the line, I slept with him. I couldn't have told my partner I was thinking about cheating on him, the ensuing argument and violence wasn't worth it, and it wasn't a planned thing.

Before anyone thinks; 'why didn't you leave him?' it was my first relationship, and he had ground down my confidence so much I didn't think I could function on my own.

Anyone that can form that sort of opinion of me or anyone else without realizing there are two sides to every story is far too judgmental, in my opinion.

Thank you so much for sharing this. I am sorry to hear you were trapped in an abusive relationship. I am grateful you were able to get out of that situation. I really appreciate this as you share your perception and what you were thinking when you were going to cheat and why you were unable to say anything. :D
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    You are not in their house or living their lives. You have [i[no[/'i] idea what went on between the two of them behind closed doors. You said yourself that they seemed happy and in love on the outside. Again, you have no idea what went on at home behind closed doors. You don't know if there were discussions, arguments, tears, counseling. You have no idea what either person is thinking. You don't know the reasons why the cheating happened and in all honesty you never will because you will only get one side of the story: The person who was cheated on and believe me that side can taint you for life.

There's a plethora of reasons why a person would cheat and sure it's easy to sit there and say "Well just say something and leave the other person" but sometimes it might not be that easy. You have no idea what goes on in the mind of someone else or what goes on behind their doors unless you are that person and you are there.

This this this... I love when outside people judge other people's relationships based on perceptions.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

Are you horrible? No. Are you a coward? Yes. Everything you shared is just a justified excuse as to why you should feel ok that you did it. His bad behavior doesn't negate your bad behavior.

Perhaps I am a coward. However, unless you have been in a abusive relationship (which I hope you haven't) you will have no idea how difficult it is.
    I don't feel guilty. and I don't regret it. Cheating on him made me realize I wasn't worthless or unwanted. It gave me the boost of confidence I needed to get out of the relationship.

This is not me saying that all cheats have an excuse. Some just cheat because they want to. But do not be so quick to judge people when you have no idea what goes on behind closed doors.
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    Options

Perhaps I am a coward. However, unless you have been in a abusive relationship (which I hope you haven't) you will have no idea how difficult it is.
    I don't feel guilty. and I don't regret it. Cheating on him made me realize I wasn't worthless or unwanted. It gave me the boost of confidence I needed to get out of the relationship.

This is not me saying that all cheats have an excuse. Some just cheat because they want to. But do not be so quick to judge people when you have no idea what goes on behind closed doors.

I was, to my first husband for 8 years. I still NEVER EVER cheated. Like I said it's all just justification. I took my vows seriously, even if he didn't. I respected MYSELF far too much to compromise my own values by giving into something I don't agree with for temporary satisfaction. I know that my self worth doesn't come from a sexual experience.
  • fat2fitmom24
    Options
    I bashed cheaters once, then I was put in a situation that allowed me to find feelings for another man. It is not as easy to walk away as you would think. I had a realtionship for a little while and I did eventually tell my husband. It made me realize that if I could do this then I was not in love with him anymore. We have been divorced for a while, but we remain friends.
  • lauren3101
    Options

I was, to my first husband for 8 years. I still NEVER EVER cheated. Like I said it's all just justification. I took my vows seriously, even if he didn't. I respected MYSELF far too much to compromise my own values by giving into something I don't agree with for temporary satisfaction. I know that my self worth doesn't come from a sexual experience.

This is the thing you don't understand. I didn't have any respect for myself. Clearly, neither did you, or you wouldn't have been in an abusive relationship for 8 years.

My self worth didn't come from a sexual experience. What did come from that sexual experience was a realization, shall we say, that I was not as worthless as my ex told me I was. When I built up the courage to leave him, my self worth rebuilt from there,

I think we are clearly not going to agree and I think this is quite a tender subject to be discussing. I do hope that no-one judges you in an as unforgiving way as you have me.
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    Options

This is the thing you don't understand. I didn't have any respect for myself. Clearly, neither did you, or you wouldn't have been in an abusive relationship for 8 years.

My self worth didn't come from a sexual experience. What did come from that sexual experience was a realization, shall we say, that I was not as worthless as my ex told me I was. When I built up the courage to leave him, my self worth rebuilt from there,

I think we are clearly not going to agree and I think this is quite a tender subject to be discussing. I do hope that no-one judges you in an as unforgiving way as you have me.

You're absolutely right that I didn't respect myself at the time. I made excuses for why I should stay. Things will get better. We have two children together. We need to remain a family for their sake. Ect. However I wasn't going to further disrespect myself by compromising what little self respect I did have and go against my belief structure in that cheating is NEVER justifible. Having a sexual experience with someone else didn't give you courage or build up your self esteem. That's just more stupid justification. It's not like that act magically transformed your way of thinking by injection of sperm.

You can continue to justify why you cheated, and feel that I'm unforgiving to you. The simple matter of the fact is that I don't owe you any forgiveness because you didn't commit anything against me. As for the judgement, people judge others all the time. If you are as okay in your choices as you claim to be, it wouldn't matter what I or anyone else things regarding your situation. I think you know you're not as okay with it as you claim or you wouldn't feel the need to defend yourself, especially not on a message board to strangers.
  • fat2fitmom24
    Options

You are not a horrible person.
  • 2BeLovedAgain
    Options
    I love my husband & I love the family we created together.

In the past three years, my husband and I have had sex only 2x a year. He knows I want more. He knows I need more. I have told him... cried to him... practically begged him. He has ignored me and brushed me aside over and over again. I have become embarassed by my desire for physical touch and intimacy and so now I say nothing.

I have been faithful, but I have thought about cheating... fantasized about it in fact.

I have not and will not tell him that I have been thinking about cheating because I love my husband & I love the family we created together. I just wish he loved me too.
  • lauren3101
    Options

You're absolutely right that I didn't respect myself at the time. I made excuses for why I should stay. Things will get better. We have two children together. We need to remain a family for their sake. Ect. However I wasn't going to further disrespect myself by compromising what little self respect I did have and go against my belief structure in that cheating is NEVER justifible. Having a sexual experience with someone else didn't give you courage or build up your self esteem. That's just more stupid justification. It's not like that act magically transformed your way of thinking by injection of sperm.

You can continue to justify why you cheated, and feel that I'm unforgiving to you. The simple matter of the fact is that I don't owe you any forgiveness because you didn't commit anything against me. As for the judgement, people judge others all the time. If you are as okay in your choices as you claim to be, it wouldn't matter what I or anyone else things regarding your situation. I think you know you're not as okay with it as you claim or you wouldn't feel the need to defend yourself, especially not on a message board to strangers.

Lol.
    I am not defending myself, Tbh I'm pretty sure that 99% of normal people would agree with me that I have nothing to defend myself for, I am trying to explain to you the difference in my opinion and situation to yours, This is a debate.

Yes, my sexual experience DID give me courage and self-esteem. And no, it has nothing to do with 'the injection of sperm'. Don't be so utterly ridiculous, What I had was someone else's care, love and respect, all the things my ex did not give me. Sex is not the ultimate example of cheating. It is not like simply jumping into a strangers bed to gain confidence. Your opinions are childish and extremely closed-minded.

YOU may not agree with cheating under any circumstance, but that is YOUR opinion. I would not take back what I did for the world. I am now engaged to a lovely man and happier than I ever have been. Hooray for my 'injection of sperm!' :D
  • lauren3101
    Options

You are not a horrible person.

Thank you. :-)
    I've had a couple of lovely messages as well. It's nice to know that not everyone on this site is consumed by their own self-righteousness.
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    Options

I've had a couple of lovely messages as well. It's nice to know that not everyone on this site is consumed by their own self-righteousness.

I'd rather be self righteous than make excuses for cheating. How would you feel if your current partner cheated on you? Would you still feel like it's okay, that it was obviously something you weren't doing right to make them go out and seek for it elsewhere? I bet you'd be crying and complaining how much you loved them and why you don't understand how they could do that to you. Selfish people cheat.End of story. And who agrees with you, other cheaters. Congrats.
  • lauren3101
    Options

I'd rather be self righteous than make excuses for cheating. How would you feel if your current partner cheated on you? Would you still feel like it's okay, that it was obviously something you weren't doing right to make them go out and seek for it elsewhere? I bet you'd be crying and complaining how much you loved them and why you don't understand how they could do that to you. Selfish people cheat.End of story. And who agrees with you, other cheaters. Congrats.

One rather huge fundamental difference with that; I don't beat my partner up or slowly crumble any self-esteem he has. IF he cheated on me, I would certainly ask his reasons. I would definitely wonder if had done anything wrong.

I will post something someone (no names mentioned) just messaged me as I think they hit the nail on the head:

"She clearly feels superior because she endured a horrible relationship and "kept her integrity."

But she isn't better than you. She just is a different person who made a different choice."

And I will not reply to you any more. We have a huge difference in opinion and will never agree, and this is ridiculous.
  • fawndam
    fawndam Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Sometimes they might want the security of home and the excitement of something new. If they can keep it up they can have the best of both worlds.

I agree with this. A lot of people don't want to give up their home life....kids, house, security....but yet they want to feel "wanted" which maybe isn't the case at home what with all the added stress of life and whatnot.

Just having went through this for the umpteenth(sure that isnt a word) time..i will have to agree with ^^^ , that being said...enough is enough...get the f*** out!!
  • fawndam
    fawndam Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I love my husband & I love the family we created together.

In the past three years, my husband and I have had sex only 2x a year. He knows I want more. He knows I need more. I have told him... cried to him... practically begged him. He has ignored me and brushed me aside over and over again. I have become embarassed by my desire for physical touch and intimacy and so now I say nothing.

I have been faithful, but I have thought about cheating... fantasized about it in fact.

I have not and will not tell him that I have been thinking about cheating because I love my husband & I love the family we created together. I just wish he loved me too.

This makes me incredibly sad...I felt your pain for many years!!! (((hugs)))
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    Options

One rather huge fundamental difference with that; I don't beat my partner up or slowly crumble any self-esteem he has. IF he cheated on me, I would certainly ask his reasons. I would definitely wonder if had done anything wrong.

I will post something someone (no names mentioned) just messaged me as I think they hit the nail on the head:

"She clearly feels superior because she endured a horrible relationship and "kept her integrity."

But she isn't better than you. She just is a different person who made a different choice."

And I will not reply to you any more. We have a huge difference in opinion and will never agree, and this is ridiculous.

Good. Because all you do is justify why everything you endured makes it ok for you to cheat. Why it's not wrong because you have a myraid of reasons that make it okay. CHEATING IS WRONG!!!!! You were wrong, and you can't even own up to that. You and people like you make me sick that you feel justified in what you did and make no apology for it. Not that you owe me one at all. If someone said I cheated, I was wrong, I learned from that, and I am better equipped now to be in a relationship they would have my utmost respect. You're saying I cheated, I don't regret it, it wasn't my fault, and I'd do it again if I were in that situation. That's disgusting.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Good. Because all you do is justify why everything you endured makes it ok for you to cheat. Why it's not wrong because you have a myraid of reasons that make it okay. CHEATING IS WRONG!!!!! You were wrong, and you can't even own up to that. You and people like you make me sick that you feel justified in what you did and make no apology for it. Not that you owe me one at all. If someone said I cheated, I was wrong, I learned from that, and I am better equipped now to be in a relationship they would have my utmost respect. You're saying I cheated, I don't regret it, it wasn't my fault, and I'd do it again if I were in that situation. That's disgusting.

You know, bringing two children into the middle of an abusive relationship is pretty disgusting and wrong, too. And staying "for their sakes" is even worse.

Take it from the child who sat crying at the bottom of the stairs many nights listening to her parents screaming at each other and wishing for years and years that they would just get divorced already.

But you didn't cheat, so yay for you.
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    Options

You know, bringing two children into the middle of an abusive relationship is pretty disgusting and wrong, too. And staying "for their sakes" is even worse.

Take it from the child who sat crying at the bottom of the stairs many nights listening to her parents screaming at each other and wishing for years and years that they would just get divorced already.

But you didn't cheat, so yay for you.

It was, and that's why I left when they were small toddlers. I didn't want to set that example for them on what a marriage should be like.
This discussion has been closed.