What was your clique in HS, and are you still the same?

Options

Replies

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    art nerd/hardcore kid

small school though, so everyone hung with everyone. good times.

ETA:
    yes i'm still the same. just older. (and wiser, of course)
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Most of my friends were artsy and/or musically inclined - not necessarily in the band, but had their own bands (remember high school battles of the bands? That sort of thing). I was definitely an artsy hippie type, and the only sports type stuff I did was ski club - which half the time was just an excuse to check out hot snowboarders lol The fact that I'm a jogger now is mindblowing! Anyway, all that said, I had a friend or two in most groups.

Today I'm much the same - musician and artist friends, but also friends who play fantasy football (and who respect that I don't get the attraction); but I've traded some of my hemp necklaces and ankle bells for tattoos, poetry journals for professional notes (I'm an anthropologist), etc.

I find it interesting that so many people identify as go-between-ers. I wonder if we all think of ourselves that way, and just other people put us into cliques. :tongue:
  • MrsScheidt
    MrsScheidt Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    We did have one group of friends that we hung out with the most. We were I guess you could say average. We weren't popular, but we weren't unpopular and we got along with everyone.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I hung with the pot heads and drugies, yes I still hang with those people now a days we are sober and I'm kind of into bodybuilding
  • BioShocked89
    BioShocked89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I was a part of the Metal/wear dark clothing/don't talk to anyone group. Originally all of that group stemmed from Band. Hmm.
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Options
    I didn't like being defined by a clique, but I guess if I had to choose one, it was the drama geeks. Wearing all black and cheap Chinese slippers (even when we didn't have shows pending), attending angsty poetry readings in late-night coffeehouses filled with clove smoke and hipster/goths, and going on for far too long about my collection of Gregorian chants and indie punk LPs.

I now have much of the same friends, but ocassionally wear colors with my black, have better shoes, and have greatly expanded my musical tastes (but still bust out the Cure and Dead Can Dance cd's when the whim hits). Still working on the late night mocha addiction.
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    BANDEEE!!!!

I pretty much hung out with every group though... and I still am like that. I love being a social butterfly!

Oh and on top of this... I was a prissy chior chick too! No one could tell I was a bad girl underneith... had them all fooled.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Not really one.

I was an athlete, as I was on the tennis team all 4 years of high school. But tennis isn't as big of a deal as football or basketball. That was my primary extracurricular, but I floated around some other activities.

I got along with most people. I sort of flew under the radar.

Today, I still play tennis, and I am probably better in tennis today than I was at the high school level.
  • Aeriesified
    Aeriesified Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    When I hung out with anyone, I hung out with the arts kids, mostly. I was in band, choir, performing arts, and drawing. I spent a lot of lunches trying to read in the library (which was ridiculously loud for a library), drawing in the art room, or practicing a new piece in the music room. Most of the time, by myself. By my last year, I'd realized how few friends I really had, and that was one of the most difficult years of my life, so all I really remember about high school was feeling like an outcast, or doing my own thing and trying to fly under the radar.

I'm still very much the same. Don't really fit in anywhere, and I just do my own thing. Very few friends, but many acquaintences.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    artsy-type, socially awkward, often homebody- yes. Still the same.... but better! :D
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I never got the whole "clique" thing. I just did my own thing. I knew almost everyone and they knew me. I had a few close friends and mostly just tolerated everyone else.

At my dance studio I was one of the "popular" ones. Everyone knew me and I didn't know most of them. I didn't care about it though. I went, danced, taught for a couple of years and designed some stuff (tshirts/costumes)

In college I was the only "punk" in my business classes. I was the one that went to shows and the "alternative" bar (where I never ran into anyone from my classes). I wore strange clothes compared to the others in their jeans/khakis and polos/blouses.

I am pretty much the same now. I do my own thing, have a few close friends and am nice to everyone else.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Cheer Captain, but our cheerleaders weren't the "preppy" type. We all got along with everyone...no clique really.

I totally would have guess cheer captain for you! lol
    Someone had to keep those girls in line! Hhahah :)
  • kit8806
    kit8806 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I was more in the Band clique, but got along with pretty much everyone. Had jock friends, cheerleader friends, geek friends... I'm still the same, get along with pretty much anyone :)

Though, I do miss band the most!!!
  • heykaraoke
    heykaraoke Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Nerds/brainiacs, artsy kids, goths, hippies... I was friendly to everyone but my few close friends were from these groups. I got bullied by the preps a lot until I punched some kid. They left me alone after that and I wasn't really interested in getting close with any of them afterwards. I was in chorus and the outdoors club, headed the literary magazine, and was the newspaper editor. I spent more time with books than people. Today I still love to read and write, and I have very few close friends, but I don't really feel like I fit any of those labels anymore. My interests and style are all across the board.
  • feisma
    feisma Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    The leftover stragglers that didn't fit in any other clique and no one wanted to sit with. Think... Island of Misfit Toys.

I'm still a misfit, but I'm comfortable with it.

This. Always got along best with all the folks that didn't neatly fit into any one group...odd group of peripheral jocks, nerds, drama folks. I was the smart but overwhelmingly sarcastic one...
  • bellydancer124
    Options
    My clique was people who didn't fit into any cliques. :tongue: I hung out with the "invisible" students....you know, the ones no one ever remembers once you graduate. I was a painfully shy, nerdy overachiever.

I'm still nerdy lol, but otherwise I'm a completely different person than I was in H.S. :glasses:
  • LanaeCarol
    LanaeCarol Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Band geek but kind of a loner too
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I wasn't really in a clique and kind of floated in and out of different groups. I was very popular, but not unreachable I guess is the right way to put it. Mostly, I was a "smoker" hahaha ~ and could usually be found where the smokers were hanging out, talking smack to each other. Lol
  • katekizm
    katekizm Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Nerds/geeks.
    Or just friends with everyone.

And, yes.

Was never into sports, but when I hit 30, I joined Roller Derby and did that for 5 yrs.
  • LeighAnna115
    Options
    My high school was terribly cliquey, I hated it. But I was a floater really. I was President of the FFA, so I was part of the redneck crew. Was definitely a big part jock (went to college on an athletic scholarship) and i was also the homecoming queen. Homecoming queen sounds like the big popular girl, but I wasn't really. People said they voted for me cause I was nice.

My life is still pretty similar. Probably more athletic based in recent years because when you play a D1 sport it's all you have time for!