What was your clique in HS, and are you still the same?

Options

Replies

• Briteblu
    Options
    I was the floater...i got along with everyone but mostly kept to myself....

HS was a jail and I was doing my time one day at a time....and was focused so intently on making it out that I never really attached to any specific clique...

but I didn't NOT get along with any specific clique.

Agreed! LOL
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I was a band nerd, however our band was well respected and a lot better than the football team! We never got bullied or anything.

Now, I don't play the sax anymore but I'm still really into a wide variety of music. I'm a CPA by trade, so just a regular nerd now? haha :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Who did you run with in HS, and is that still similar to the people you hang out with today?

I was the lone wolf, so to speak, though not the *kitten* lone wolf, but the friendly one. I played sports, was on the debate team, yearbook staff, among other extracurricular, but I didn't hang out with any of them. I even sat at different tables for lunch from time to time and spoke with whomever sat there. Since I was involved in such a wide variety of activities, I had kids in every clique that I would talk to at lunch or in the halls. But I usually hung out with my B/F who went to a different school, as well as kids from the youth group at my church.

I would say that it's still similar today. I am friends with nerdy types, with hippies, with musicians, lawyers, accountants, and even a few folks who earn their living in both black and gray markets. :wink: My main friends that I hang out with now are varied. I'm the type of person that has so many different interests that I can find common ground with a lot of different people.
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    I was the floater...i got along with everyone but mostly kept to myself....

HS was a jail and I was doing my time one day at a time....and was focused so intently on making it out that I never really attached to any specific clique...

but I didn't NOT get along with any specific clique.

Agreed! LOL

Same here,...was friends w/ the potheads,..band kids,..sporty types,...the artsy fartsy's....oh,and the group that was kinda street/thug..lol...we all got along!
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I went to 4 HSs and had been to 3 elementary schools so I was friendly with everyone but never really had a clique. I subconsciously knew I wouldn't be around very long so I never attached myself to anyone. I'm pretty much the same way now. I have very few friends and never allow anyone to get too close.

Yes, I have issues.
  • slackerwoman
    slackerwoman Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Shy Quiet Nerd with a few close friends. Got less shy once I got out of high school. Not quiet at all anymore no matter how much you wish I wouuld be. Still a nerd though and proud of it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Nerdy brainiac who loved debate and Model UN. Friends with lots of types- hubby was a jock and into D&D too!

Still the same really. I do miss band camp though .....

I refused to do model UN for political reasons, but I *loved* student congress. If only we could fill today's U.S. Congress with a bunch of brainiac high school kids, we could fix this country! :laugh:
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I was known as an individualist. Though I was welcomed by and mingled among several cliques. I was invited to become a cheerleader but it wasn't my thing. And some of my best friends were the smartest kids in school (I was #5 in gpa). I wasn't heavily into sports though, mostly just in junior high. I was probably best known for my writing ability, my ability to be "myself" as I simply never felt the need to be a conformist, and was considered "smart" though not a nerd. And I can boast that I dated the hottest guys in school :)
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I was the unpopular one, though I preferred it that way. I'd dress in all black, hair dyed black, black nail polish. I'd have worn the spiky collar too but was against school dress code. I was the "goth" girl before that whole scene became popular and tainted. I still have some of the mentality of who I was in High School but I don't go out of my way to dress the same. Just the hair dye, more piercings and tattoos. :tongue:
  • suddenbeth
    Options
    I hung out with the girls that weren't so...nice lol. I liked to hang with other kids that had a "don't give a ****" attitude. I was always an honors student, I just didn't like the snobby kids that were part of that group though...so I found the ones like me that could give a **** less about reputations and labels.

Today, I'm still in college, still nerdy enough to make good grades. I don't talk to any of the people I went to school with, but I usually still pick the people that are strong enough to be who they are regardless of the boxes society tell you to act and think in. I've just mellowed out because I'm in a serious relationship and I was lucky enough to get all the wild out before it could mess my life up.
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Like most of you, I wasn't associated with one group.

I played sports (softball and basketball). I was in the school band (played trumpet, trombone, tuba). I also belonged to the debate club. And I had a music show on public access television through the high school.

I was friends with lots of people. But, all of my close friends were the straight edge/hardcore/veg kids. My entire life was going to shows and listening to music. I guess I still largely identify with that lifestyle.
  • kathim429
    kathim429 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    It is funny because when I was in school I had friends in every group. But I didn't actually hang out with anyone. I went to a pretty big school and never went to lunch because I had no one to sit with. I was very shy, but was class Treasurer for my Sophomore through Senior years...weird.

25 years later I am being told by friends that they thought I was part of the rich, popular group. That couldn't be further from the truth.

I still have friends from all different kinds of backgrounds...and I still hangout alone.
  • mavrick7
    mavrick7 Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    High schoolers tend to label themselves, but most adults want to diversify themselves.

I hung out with the jocks, nerds, band geeks, and cool people at an all boys school.

Team captain wrestling team, National Honors Society, VP Chess club, but into heavy metal rock n roll.
  • loner_nell
    loner_nell Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    In Suicide-Mission-Rejects with Anexa.
    But I kinda think only 2 people didn't think I was completely out of place. The feeling of not belonging and whatnot, it's not that they said anything, just how I felt.(I also found a note from high school, apparently I was such a loser they even made fun of me, sans a few. :D )
    So I'm going to go with Loner, with 2 friends.
    Kinda the same, 1 friend moved.
    I had a few more friends when I played WoW, quit that, so it's the same again.
  • kimoRUN
    kimoRUN Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I was a jock, drama geek and choir boy all wrapped in one. I got flack from each group. My peeps in drama thought I was just a dumb jock. My football teammates made fun of me for being in the school plays and what not. And I only joined choir because my buddy said we'd meet a bunch of chicks....that didn't work out too well.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I was a cool/nerdy kid

Danced on the Drill Team BUT also was on the Debate Team!
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    I was a true man of the people. Didn't hang out with just one group. I probably would have been labeled as a jock. I'm the same now I suppose.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Teachers called me "the mayor" for my ability to move seamlessly between groups and talk with everyone in my class. I had my crew of friends but would end up hanging out with most people at one point or another during a school year. Party at my house this weekend!

/small school, class only had around 100 kids in it.
    //and yes, I'm still the same
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I was the weird kid from grade school, through middle school where I discovered punk rock (which gave a flavor to my innate weirdness), and all the way through high school. My lunch table in high school consisted of whatever misfits, geeks and outcasts wanted to sit with me, and no one picked on them while I was around because I was a violent little punk chick. I was not a bully. I struck fear into the hearts of the bullies, although usually by calling them out on it, not by violence. I still get people coming up to me who knew of me back then, but were extremely intimidated and now that I'm more approachable they will admit they were terrified of me back then. I've always been happy being different. I learned a long time ago a family moto: sweetie, they aren't like us.

I no longer wear my punk rock uniform, although I held onto it through part of college, but I do still go to shows and play in the pit.
  • ziggyc
    ziggyc Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I was the unpopular one, though I preferred it that way. I'd dress in all black, hair dyed black, black nail polish. I'd have worn the spiky collar too but was against school dress code. I was the "goth" girl before that whole scene became popular and tainted. I still have some of the mentality of who I was in High School but I don't go out of my way to dress the same. Just the hair dye, more piercings and tattoos. :tongue:

Lol. The goth scene was "popular and tainted" by the time it was named the goth scene. Actually, the goth scene by definition is pretty much never as authentic "now" as it was when whoever-is-currently-speaking was first into it. But you can pretty much bet that the day a Hot Topic opened, there was a universal black-rimmed eyeroll :-P