Do you eat Cereal?

Options

Replies

• Jayme34
    Jayme34 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    the dietician told me to look for the cereal with 8grams of sugar or less and high fibre content, I usually eat fibre 1.
  • mreffle
    mreffle Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't eat cereal for breakfast, but if at the end of the day I still have to up my carbs but not my fat/protein, I'll have a serving of Crispix--no milk, just crunchy no-fat snackiness. :) One cup is 110 calories so it's not overwhelming. I really hate sugary/sweet cereals. I sometimes eat packet oatmeal for breakfast but it's usually oversweetened by the maker, so not very often...

If you're talking about MFP carb/fat/protein recommended levels for your body, based on the data you entered, please remember that MFP goes high on carbs, and low on fat and protein. For example, my recommended numbers, for maintenance (I'm 5'0"), work out to 66% carbs, 16% fat and 18% protein. I'm not sure I would be able to maintain lean muscle mass with 18% protein. In my case, I'm trying to increase my protein intake, which in turn lowers my carb intake. Without working at it too hard, I try to keep my ratios to 55/20/25. Also, protein at the end of your day will sustain you through the night. I have a teen who wakes up hungry in the middle of the night, and ends up going for yogurt, or PB on toast. :smile:
  • NomNomCupcakes
    NomNomCupcakes Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I eat cereal every morning. I alternate between a "healthy" adult cereal (cornflakes, total, wheaties, cheerios) and mix in a lot of dried cranberries with some rice or almond milk and every OTHER day I have the junkfood cereal (Captain Crunch, Trix, etc). It's the fastest thing to make in the morning and it's not a lot of calories.
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I love cereal, after reading all of these posts I feel like I shouldn't touch it anymore though!! :/
  • mreffle
    mreffle Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I eat Kellogs Allbran but it is full of sugar....I will switch back to the Co-op own High Bran cereal once I've got through the 2 boxs of Allbran I got at half price!!

I also eat oats raw with a little milk and a yogurt.

It's the fibre content that's important to me.

mabelbabel1, how do the raw oats work out? Are they quite chewy? I wonder if I mix them with yogurt the night before, and refrigerate until morning, would that soften them up?
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I brought the children up on sugar free cereals, weetabix, porrige and shredded wheat. When they were older and would say when we were shopping ''can we have this'' I'd say ''look at the ingredients, if the second one is sugar, the answer is no!'' None of them has a particularly sweet tooth, or is over weight or unhealthy. What they do as adult is up to them, hopefully they know about healthy balanced eating and will be ok.
    I only eat oats or oat bran for breakfast now as I find it suits my complex digestive system better.

Edit to add. My biggest achievement is having all 4 children age 20, 18, 13 and 11 with no fillings or dental work. I put this down to not having sugary breakfasts or lunches.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    i got a lot of boxes of weetabix and chocolate weetabix 2 months ago (it was buy 1 get 1 free). all of my friends who follow my diary know that i eat weetabix almost every day for breakfast, honestly i'm already kinda sick of it. But that's ok, i just have 3 more boxes left :)
    I tried eating cheerios one day, i had a serving size, and honestly i was hungry an hour later. no idea how so many people can survive on cheerios until lunchtime.
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have weetabix every morning, with skimmed milk, flax seeds and a little sweetener.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I eat weetabix/sultana bran/bran flakes with unsweetened soya milk twice a day, I hate the really sugary cereals.
  • recee96
    recee96 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I used to eat cereal at night...to fix that hunger after dinner was long gone. But now..I don't really eat it. It's a lot of carbs/sugar and it's hard for me to just have one bowl...so I tend to stay away.
  • Goddessmaker1
    Goddessmaker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yes honey. The things I do for a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios is terrible..I would do just about anything for it with some cold Almond milk...The pole would be worked for a bowl..I have to watch the sugar though..
  • myhealthjourney86
    Options
    I love cereal! I eat it almost everyday, now is Special k with yoghurt, and I love it!
  • LKD87
    LKD87 Posts: 21
    Options
    Original Fiber One and Puffed Kamut (50 cals for 1 cup!) are my go-to cereals :) yum
  • dj_bounz
    Options
    Kashi GOLEAN Crisp Cinnamon Crumble is my go-to in the morning. Delicious.

Totally Agree! My fav cereal.
  • natalovesmusic
    natalovesmusic Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yes, I don't want to put any more effort into making breakfast :P
    Some of the best cereals include: cheerios, Post's shredded wheat, original fiber one, kix, and kashi. I love love love the shredded wheat. It sounds plain and dull but it's actually really good and really filling
  • kaitgettingfit
    Options
    God... I love cereal but I have to avoid it at all costs or I'll eat the entire box. Seriously.
  • PicklePlum
    PicklePlum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I eat steel cut oatmeal or yogurt with fruit on most breakfasts. I just prefer it over box cereals.
  • hellohappylisa
    hellohappylisa Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been eating apple cinnamon chex with dry oatmeal mixed in. Super yummy!
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a bowl of cereal in the mornings on the weekends. Normally it's some variety of Kashi or Special K but occansionally something like Rasin Bran sneaks in there. I avoid the more sugary cereals as much as I can.
  • molly_grue
    molly_grue Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I eat cereal as a snack. I like the Nature's Path Granolas a lot. Especially the peanut butter one.