Dear Abby, Why aren't don't older chicks try to be hotter?

Options
gingerjen7
gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
Read this in the paper this morning. I thought it was worth sharing, as I'm positive there are some people who would really like to respond:

DEAR ABBY: I am a divorced father of two children, one in college and the other in high school. I have reached a point in life where I can take trips and make time for me. I am well-educated and earn an above-average income. I'm in decent shape and considered a "catch" by many of the single women I encounter. But most of the women in my age bracket (mid-40s) or slightly younger no longer take care of themselves.

I'm looking for a very attractive woman to accompany me through life. Most single men I know also put a premium on a woman's appearance. Why don't women understand this? Where would you suggest finding a suitable partner for someone in my situation? -- MR. PARTICULAR IN TUCSON

My response would be:

Dear Mr Assface,

Perhaps single women your age have better things to do with their lives than preen for you. Or maybe they DO understand how important appearance is to you, they just don't give a ****.

Abby's response was a little more classy:

DEAR MR. PARTICULAR: Start at the nearest gym. If that doesn't net you what you're trolling for, another place to look would be the Playboy Mansion in Los Angeles. Hef throws large parties there, many of which are charity fundraisers. Who knows? For a generous donation you might meet a woman who meets your high standards -- providing you have enough assets of your own to merit her interest.

Replies

• hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have to partly agree with the man's comment. I have many female family members and friends who think, well I got my husband so I don't have to care or worry about what I look like. Or I've heard, "oh heck, it's too hard so why bother". I don't agree at all. However, I am happily married and want to look/feel good for ME and my husband. I am in my upper 40's and many people think I am 10 years younger. I want to be a young 80 and be able to run and play with my grandchildren (when it happens) and even my great grandchildren. Yes, the guy sounded like a jerk - but what he wants is fair, how he came across was wrong. There are just as many men who don't take care of themselves either.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely no problem with this man's comment. Im often surrounded by women my age plus 10-15 and I cannot believe how much freaking frump is happening.

There is a difference between preening to look good for some man, and walking out into the world head high as a dignified, classy, beautiful well put together woman. In an outfit you planned, with fresh skin and a little makeup, clean healthy hair and a bounce in your step because you feel good about the way you present yourself to the world.

I kinda feel like anyone else who gets mad at this is the people that show up at Walmart at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon in stained jogging pants and a tweety bird tshirt with their hair in a lopsided banana clip, angry that men always go for hot chicks.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    What makes this ANY different from younger guys?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Id like to find myself a hot man to accompany me through me life. If he doesnt care how he presents himself to the world, why should anyone else? If he cares in small things, he'll care in big things.

heh big lol
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely no problem with this man's comment. Im often surrounded by women my age plus 10-15 and I cannot believe how much freaking frump is happening.

There is a difference between preening to look good for some man, and walking out into the world head high as a dignified, classy, beautiful well put together woman. In an outfit you planned, with fresh skin and a little makeup, clean healthy hair and a bounce in your step because you feel good about the way you present yourself to the world.

I kinda feel like anyone else who gets mad at this is the people that show up at Walmart at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon in stained jogging pants and a tweety bird tshirt with their hair in a lopsided banana clip, angry that men always go for hot chicks.

What she said ^^
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

THAT TWEETY BIRD SHIRT WAS MY MOM'S!
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options

BAM!
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    WTF??? Seriously? has this dude taken a look in the mirror? There is a reason my bf is 15 years younger than me...the hot older men here are an anomoly.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    On that note, I will always be a MILF.
  • IamBlackMamba
    Options
    I wouldn't consider him a catch.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    In my mid-40s, I find that men my age tend to have given up on their appearance whereas the women are well-groomed and keep themselves fit.

OR the phenomenon is entirely subjective and we're all looking for partners who looked like they did when we were last single, 20 years ago :tongue:
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    LOL....I loved your answer AND hers! Thanks for sharing... Some men kill me!
  • Sick_Beard
    Sick_Beard Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks =) Not all men are like that though
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    That guy sounds like a total ****......
  • IamBlackMamba
    Options
    WTF??? Seriously? has this dude taken a look in the mirror? There is a reason my bf is 15 years younger than me...the hot older men here are an anomoly.

You go girl! Mine's 8 years younger... This guy needs to get over himself.
  • barky586
    Options
    I totally agree...so many tend to "frump out." I was one of them.....
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    he wants what he wants and his brave enough to be honest about it. I'd be willing to bet no woman wants a slouch, either. Difference is, she is just going to keep it to herself and/or maybe share it with her girlfriends rather than submit it to Dear Abby.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    I see lots of women who are around my age who let themselves go, hell I am one of them, but I am trying to change, I also see men who have too, I would not want a man who wants me SOLELY for my appearance, and its not that good anyway, but I would want to make an effort, I also would appreciate the same in return, I want to get dressed nicely to go out, and I would want my man to feel the same.
    This guy is being an *kitten*, but it is also true that a lot of PEOPLE stop making an effort, they lose themselves,. go to the store looking like they just got out of bed, I see people all the time and think WTF are you thinking?

There is making an effort because you have enough self esteem to do so, and there are *kitten*, there is a difference. We should all respect ourselves enough to make an effort for ourselves.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    the funny thing about this is..you can bet the guy writing it is fat and bald.
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    "...the people that show up at Walmart at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon in stained jogging pants and a tweety bird tshirt with their hair in a lopsided banana clip..."

*so* silly, i almost did a coffee spit-take!

and i agree: lazy and frumpy will lose to polished and pretty, at any age.