Dear Abby, Why aren't don't older chicks try to be hotter?

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    I don't preen for anyone's benefit but my hubby. The rest of the world might think I'm a frump, but when I want to catch hubby's eye - I'll preen. I don't care what the rest of the world thinks.
  • teepeetim
    teepeetim Posts: 99 Member
    I need to add my two pesos worth, from an older man perspective.

Having separated this year and got back into dating at 51, it has never been "easier" for me because ..
    A) I have lost weight because of hard work and MFP
    B) I almost always dress well, even when on a day off and just running around shopping
    C) I dont own track pants and tshirts are for the cottage, sleeping, or workouts (although in the past they were regular attire)
    D) I bathe at least once a day, sometimes more (that may sound like a joke, but you should see some of my customers)

Most men my age (and a lot younger for that matter) really dont care how they look. I see Larry the cable guy everywhere I go.

Now women actually hit on me, for the first time in my life, and I am not being conceited, just amazed.

I don't think it matters , male or female, some people don't care, and some do. We can all make choices.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    WTF??? Seriously? has this dude taken a look in the mirror? There is a reason my bf is 15 years younger than me...the hot older men here are an anomoly.

^

If he is a hot older man, I can understand wanting someone similar to himself. No harm there, no foul. If not, then he's just a hypocrite with double standards. More of the second than of the first in my experience.
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand I've met a lot of guys that are say, mid 40s, balding, with potbellys, that have the attitude that anything less than a model like physique isn't good enough for them/to their standards..even if they look like danny devito themselves. This irritates me. A lot.

Otoh, what if this *is* a guy who works out all the time, and is in great shape, dresses nice, does what he can with his hair etc, and looks pretty nice. Well, then I can see how he might want someone who is on a similar level that way, fair enough. Maybe he'd like a girl fit enough that they can go running together, or a tennis partner etc.

It's been an odd thing for me lately...I'm still definitely overweight, even obese, yet now I'm making definite efforts to eat better and exercise regularly, and am always working on myself in other ways (ie, learning new skills). I'm single, 40s, and I usually go for the more geeky sort (sci fi cons, renfest maybe, lots of brains, but with social skills) ...but now I'd really like someone who does care at least somewhat about health and fitness too, who is willing at the very least to go on walks once in a while. It's surprisingly hard to find. The men in local circles I tend to be in are often more interested in online gaming for hours at a time than anything remotely resembling exercise, and the fit buff ones really aren't likely going to be looking for a girl like me. I want this to be a lifestyle change /lifelong habit and don't want to get sucked into the land of nachos and sloth, which would be easier with a partner with similar goals. Not to say they aren't out there, and probably quite a few of those on this site, but locally in person, I just don't run into any middle of the road of fitness sorts much.

Incidentally I can't say that I've "let myself go", I've always been overweight and been about the same for some 20 years now (just way too high), and if anything I'm better at the hair and makeup and sense of what styles look good than I was 20 years ago. I'm not going to get all fancied up to run out to the drug store, that seems like silliness to me. Though I won't go out in old sweats either, and if i'm going out out pretty much anywhere with friends or a date, I make an effort to look nice, if not fancy.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Clearly, but as long as she's confident and happy with herself, who cares?

If she was confident and happy with herself, then maybe she wouldn't care what other people think?

I don't bother getting my hair cut and my Tazmanian Devil t-shirt doubles as a cheet-o napkin, if you don't want to treat me like a QUEEN then u don't deserve me
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    I haven't read all of the comments on here but quite a few of them are ticking me off especially by 20ish year olds who are criticizing women double their age. Everytime I go to the mall I see tons of teenager girls that are twice my size and with their bellies hanging out....I've had 3 kids and I look 100% times better than they do (and I could lose a few more pounds and certainly tone up) and I'm twice their age. Age is a #, just because someone is in their 40's or older doesn't mean they are frumpy. I am constantly busy and rarely get to sit down but I will NEVER leave my house in a stained shirt or sweatpants.

Amen sister!! I'm 47 and some of the mess I see at the mall makes me wonder what these kids are putting into their bodies. Kids that are as young as 12 look like their motthers. What is going to happen when they are in their 40's with some kids... Boggles the mind. Yet they look at us like we are old and frumpy.
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Why is a successful and fit middle-aged man writing Dear Abby to find a date?

BINGO!! And how dare these ladies agree with this pig of a man! shame on you ladies shame on you!
    this is whats wrong with us there is supposed to be a girl code. Guys have this down pat, we really need to work on that girls.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    I am a wife and have a two year old daughter and a four year old boy who is special needs. I work full-time Monday through Friday. I cook most of my meals and try my hardest to keep the house from smelling bad. I also work out six days a week and spend time teaching, playing with, and reading to my kids.

My point is we are all busy. However, my body is my temple. It took me too many years with failed attempts to get serious about losing weight. In the past I thought "If I am going to be fat, I am going to be the well dressed neat stylish fat girl'.

Well now I am losing the fat and I continue to dress neat and care about my appearance. Think of yourself as a walking advertisement. I refuse to let the world look at me and see that I am a disheveled, tired, run down mess. I rather be a neat, well dressed, beautiful woman who is in control of life and does not let life control her. Even though on the inside sometimes I just want to scream and say, "EF-IT. Do your own laundry and cook your own dinner, mommy is going on a cruise!"
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member

If she was confident and happy with herself, then maybe she wouldn't care what other people think?

I don't bother getting my hair cut and my Tazmanian Devil t-shirt doubles as a cheet-o napkin, if you don't want to treat me like a QUEEN then u don't deserve me
    I don't think she does (care what other people think).
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member

I don't think she does (care what other people think).

I'm sure that's why she started a post about it
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    He must be looking in all the wrong places. I work in the beauty industry and believe me, women over 40 are spending the money to look better.

Maybe he should hang out in the beauty section of stores?
  • Notice this guys makes no mention of anything other than appearance. No social views, hobbies, political beliefs how they would conduct themselves...if they are a decent human being. So basically you could be a mute as long as you physical appearance was to his standards. I'm starting to see why this guys is single. If you only focus on the outside you are going to be leading a very lonely, shallow life which I am guessing he is already experiencing. Good luck buddy, you are certainly going to need it...
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    This is awesome.
    I need to add my two pesos worth, from an older man perspective.

Having separated this year and got back into dating at 51, it has never been "easier" for me because ..
    A) I have lost weight because of hard work and MFP
    B) I almost always dress well, even when on a day off and just running around shopping
    C) I dont own track pants and tshirts are for the cottage, sleeping, or workouts (although in the past they were regular attire)
    D) I bathe at least once a day, sometimes more (that may sound like a joke, but you should see some of my customers)

Most men my age (and a lot younger for that matter) really dont care how they look. I see Larry the cable guy everywhere I go.

Now women actually hit on me, for the first time in my life, and I am not being conceited, just amazed.

I don't think it matters , male or female, some people don't care, and some do. We can all make choices.
  • Quanda1972
    Quanda1972 Posts: 20 Member
    WTF??? Seriously? has this dude taken a look in the mirror? There is a reason my bf is 15 years younger than me...the hot older men here are an anomoly.

You go girl! Mine's 8 years younger... This guy needs to get over himself.

OMG LOL.......... Glad i'm not alone.........was starting to feel like I was robbing the cradle. Yay us!!!!
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    I haven't read all of the comments on here but quite a few of them are ticking me off especially by 20ish year olds who are criticizing women double their age. Everytime I go to the mall I see tons of teenager girls that are twice my size and with their bellies hanging out....I've had 3 kids and I look 100% times better than they do (and I could lose a few more pounds and certainly tone up) and I'm twice their age. Age is a #, just because someone is in their 40's or older doesn't mean they are frumpy. I am constantly busy and rarely get to sit down but I will NEVER leave my house in a stained shirt or sweatpants.

Amen sister!! I'm 47 and some of the mess I see at the mall makes me wonder what these kids are putting into their bodies. Kids that are as young as 12 look like their motthers. What is going to happen when they are in their 40's with some kids... Boggles the mind. Yet they look at us like we are old and frumpy.

I agree. Yes, just to add to my previous comment, I wasn't being specific about age, but ALOT of people dress like they don't give a sh** . The teenage girls who weigh 200 lbs and are wearing belly shirts and low cut jeans? The young guys with their pants around their a**? It really all makes me shake my head.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Those womem who 'let themselves go' or girl that just never got there and never will and called FRUMP MASTERS
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    This man obviously hasn't seen some of the 40+ women on my friends list, seriously....
  • Dear Abby,
    Why is it that men in their 40's and older don't realize that women their age are starting to go through all sorts of hormonal changes? That some of the weight they find offensive is a RESULT of those changes? God forbid a man find a woman attractive for how she looks, what scars she has earned, what stories her stretch marks tell about her. Why is it that these men don't realize we women have to work out twice as long and twice as hard for the results that they get just by cutting cokes and cookies out of their diet? And why is it that these now divorced boneheads didn't learn the lesson the first time that women who are also finding themselves single have spent the last 20 years raising families and taking care of households while putting themselves LAST so that they could try to give their now ex-husbands everything?

I'd rather have an overweight loving man in my life that cherishes every aspect of me, including my smartass sarcasm, than a man who THINKS at 40 he deserves a barbie doll.

Grow the F*** UP!
  • jporte
    jporte Posts: 164 Member
    At the very least, 40+ women could have better haircuts. Men generally prefer a woman with shoulder-length hair. When women sport these over-layered hairstyles, they just look so old.

Funny that's not my hubby's opinion....he likes mine to be long....hates it when it's shoulder-length.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    This man obviously hasn't seen some of the 40+ women on my friends list, seriously....

Werd!