Fruit Makes you Fat

Options

Replies

• TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    okay yay!!!! EVERYBODY please stop eating fruit...that just leaves more for me to eat:) Fruits are a person's best friend-especially those that are dieting and limiting the amount of calories you are eating- LIMITING CALORIES LIMITS THE NUTRIENTS YOU GET!!! Fruits are loaded with vitamins and minerals that can do everything from improving your digestion to making you look younger, have more energy and fueled up for your hard workouts. Yes, they have calories and yes, they can induce an insulin spike but they will no more make you gain fat than chewing on a piece of paper as long as your total calories arent over what you need.
  • Lconsla
    Lconsla Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    totally agree with you!
  • bluefrog_2001
    bluefrog_2001 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    ycnqb.jpg

lol!
  • dezikontos
    dezikontos Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Im really confused.
    I have been trying to lose weight and i am sticking to 'good foods'ut i find that the whole eating veggies and drinking loads of water just bloats me, should i be weighing my veggies as well and im drinking up to 3 litres oif water a day is this right...
    Im looking at having a professional boxing fight this year and my coach has asked me to drop 5 kilos down to 56 kilos. i have 5 months to do it but im lean as it is but i need to get those last kilos off but i still need to be strong and not starve myself - the whole eating veggies thing and drinking all this water is making me lose my mind i am to scared to get on the scales
    im getting really confused
    i dont know if you could help me or not
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't expect anything less from the Daily Fail, I mean Mail :laugh:
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Hi Im really confused.
    I have been trying to lose weight and i am sticking to 'good foods'ut i find that the whole eating veggies and drinking loads of water just bloats me, should i be weighing my veggies as well and im drinking up to 3 litres oif water a day is this right...
    Im looking at having a professional boxing fight this year and my coach has asked me to drop 5 kilos down to 56 kilos. i have 5 months to do it but im lean as it is but i need to get those last kilos off but i still need to be strong and not starve myself - the whole eating veggies thing and drinking all this water is making me lose my mind i am to scared to get on the scales
    im getting really confused
    i dont know if you could help me or not

Well, for one thing, you need to pay attention to more than just vegetables and water. You need adequate protein and fat, especially "good fats". If you are already lean, why would you want to lose any more weight? If you are lifting weights to get stronger, (and you are already lean) then you must eat at a surplus in order to put on muscle weight. Why does your coach want you to lose weight? Is it to get into a lower-weight category of boxer? If that is the reason, dieting for that purpose, will just get you sick and emaciated.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Well crap. Please don't tell my body this! It seems to think I can still lose weight and eat tons of fruit like I am.

Damnit. I knew it was too good to be true.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Yes, I think the Daily Mail article is misleading but there is some truth to the idea that excessive fructose leads to obesity. Our greatest exposure to fructose though is NOT from eating fruit---it is from our 500-calorie-a-day sugar habit. (Sucrose, i.e. table sugar, is 50% fructose). Fructose researchers are focusing on the hypothesis that fructose has an "anti-satiety" quality and prompts overeating. Fruit, because the fructose it contains is encased in fiber and is diluted with water, is really not a problem for most people. Fructose researchers do recommend a sugar-free, low-fructose diet for the obese. It is sugar that is the problem for obese folk. It may turn out to be a problem centered in the liver of obese people. Researchers believe that, fructose, in large amounts, overwhelms the liver's capacity to deal with it. Since I got the sugar out of my diet, I have not overeaten even once. It has been about three years since I have had any sugar and the weight loss that I have enjoyed has been pretty effortless (other than the working out I have done). :wink:
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the article but I have to say, if I eat even normal serving sizes of sweet fruit like bananas, pineapple, mangoes etc. my body doesn't much care about where the sugar rush came from, it just cares that it came, and it just wants more. So does fruit make you fat? no. Can it trigger cravings for more sugary food that WILL make you fat? For some of us. I prefer leafy greens and non starchy veggies to fruit... and I am going to try eating seasonally and locally. I have no business eating mangoes 12 months of the year up here in Canada! LOL
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

Yes, I think the Daily Mail article is misleading but there is some truth to the idea that excessive fructose leads to obesity. Our greatest exposure to fructose though is NOT from eating fruit---it is from our 500-calorie-a-day sugar habit. (Sucrose, i.e. table sugar, is 50% fructose). Fructose researchers are focusing on the hypothesis that fructose has an "anti-satiety" quality and prompts overeating. Fruit, because the fructose it contains is encased in fiber and is diluted with water, is really not a problem for most people. Fructose researchers do recommend a sugar-free, low-fructose diet for the obese. It is sugar that is the problem for obese folk. It may turn out to be a problem centered in the liver of obese people. Researchers believe that, fructose, in large amounts, overwhelms the liver's capacity to deal with it. Since I got the sugar out of my diet, I have not overeaten even once. It has been about three years since I have had any sugar and the weight loss that I have enjoyed has been pretty effortless (other than the working out I have done). :wink:

THIS!
  • jessykab74
    jessykab74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure most of us aren't on here because we eat too many apples...

HAHA that is so true!!!
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I'm pretty sure most of us aren't on here because we eat too many apples...

HAHA that is so true!!!

Yep. :laugh: It's the SUGAR, folks. It's all the ice cream, pies, cakes, cookies, candy, chocolate, soda pop, and processed food, with all its "hidden" sugar that we eat. (For example, is it really necessary to put so much sugar in Wendy's chili?) Food manufacturers have long-since figured out that, if they include sugar in processed food, that we will eat more of it.
  • littlebre33
    littlebre33 Posts: 318
    Options
    No fruit or any other kind of food makes u fat,you make you fat

^^^ THIS!!! ^^^
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    ycnqb.jpg

Love this!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    So instead of my apple and bannana with my fage 2 percent yogurt (300 Cal) I should opt for a double baconator meal becouse all that sugar will fatten me up.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Fact: You should never eat ANYTHING! It will ALL make you fat! All you really should eat, to maintain a healthy lifestyle is water and air!

100% of all people that drink water and breathe air will die
    It's the truth!
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Makes perfect sense. Having Diabetics for parents and a Hypoglycemic son, I have always tried to do 1 fruit to at least 2 veggies, and with my son he doesn't eat fruit unless he has a complex carb (usually cheese and crackers) to digest with it so his insulin levels don't spike. He over produces insulin, so double what is required to manage his sugar levels.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Oh the Daily Fail. If you read it like it's sarcasm it's the funniest paper in the world.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    They took time out from celebrity news did they?
  • MissFitee
    MissFitee Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The article does have alot of valid points though. Im sure you've all overheard or even been in a discussion with someone that goes something like this:
    - Im trying to lose weight so I'm eating alot of fruit.
    + Just be careful not to over eat it, fruit contains calories aswell
    - Yes, but It's fruit.
    + But it's still calories.
    - But calories from fruit doesnt make you gain weight because it's healthy calories.

Im sure those people are the same who think they'll get bulky from lifting barbiestyle. =)

Now, I'm not saying that some gossip-looking website is the place to go for facts, but what I read did contain alot of truth. =)