Count bites not calories

Options

Replies

• a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm picturing her stuffing an entire cupcake in her mouth and counting it as just one bite. Not only will the cupcake not be enjoyed, but you'll be eating a ton of calories in that bite.

Challange accepted!

Does it still count as a bite if you don't chew it?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a stellar idea for developing an eating disorder.

Just kidding, it's just stupid. Really, really stupid.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    1000 calories is not enough for a person of your height.

And while you might be "fine", you will have lowered your metablism so that when you start eating to maintain you will put your weight back on.
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories because it's tedious and it sucks. I'm not truly hungry until lunch and dinner and 10 bites per meal satisfies me. I would rather eat a burger with veggies on it in 10 bites than 10 bites of salad. The burger keeps me satisfied and happy for at least 4 hours. I want my body to use my stored fat for energy not constantly be digesting food.

Yeah...meat take hours to digest,so you're not exactly avoiding that.
  • lanapoo
    lanapoo Posts: 57
    Options
    That really doesn't sound healthy. :/
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. Just for breakfast I probably take 20 bites and it's only 250 calories.

This exactly. The number of calories per bite varies considerably based on what you are eating. On a normal day, I don't average anywhere near 50 calories a bite. Hell, unless you take really big bites, dark chocolate isn't 50 calories a bite (e.g. the 88% chocolate 2" squares I sometimes eat are 50 calories, each one takes me multiple bites).

Edited to say, they might be 1.5" squares, but still, they take multiple bites, and chocolate is a pretty high calorie food.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I take really small bites... I would starve to death.

But if it works for you and you're happy doing it, go for it. Who am I to judge?
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Words fail me.........:huh:
  • mandy0688
    mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Go see a doctor about this. Your only going to hurt yourself in the end. 1000 cals a day is too low. You should at least increase your system. And its not a smart idea. But if it works for you thats fine. I am gonna stick to what I am doing now.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    that is a horrible system.

THIS!!!!! You're only eating 20 bites? I just ate way more than that for lunch for 600ish calories. Also, unless you're taking big bites of cake, I highly doubt that each bite is anywhere close to 50 calories.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories because it's tedious and it sucks. I'm not truly hungry until lunch and dinner and 10 bites per meal satisfies me. I would rather eat a burger with veggies on it in 10 bites than 10 bites of salad. The burger keeps me satisfied and happy for at least 4 hours. I want my body to use my stored fat for energy not constantly be digesting food.
    I understand eating more satisfying and filling foods. The other day I had a delicious chicken burger with sweet potato fries. But what's wrong with eating a burger AND counting calories?

And like someone else has brought up... if you do this, does it mean you must abstain from having an engaging conversation over dinner? When I eat, I like to savor the deliciousness. Having to count the bites would be a huuuuge distraction. I can count calories before or after eating, but I can only count the bites during the act...
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    This is one of the WORST ideas I've seen on MFP, and that says a LOT.

First of all, 1000 calories isn't enough.
    Second of all, 50 calories per bite is probably a gross exaggeration for most things.

My egg salad: 20 cals per bite
    Strawberries: 9 cals per large bite
    Chicken Breast: 25 cals/bite

You're probably about right if all your bites are a square of dark chocolate, at least. You can't estimate calories by the bite. It's stupid.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options

I suggest you stop dieting until you learn more about nutrition and how your body actually works. Your body can use stored fat for energy and digest food AT THE SAME TIME!!!
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories because it's tedious and it sucks.

And counting bites *isn't* tedious?
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    If you are having 20 bites and estimating them at 50 calories then this would put you well under the recommended daily amount of calories. It worries me as it sounds very obsessive and could easily lead to an eating disorder. Please be sensible x

im not saying i support this 'bites' idea, but counting is counting. counting calories easily becomes obsessive also.
    9lbs in one week is too much! did u log at the same time to see how close you were to ur goal?
    i think u should try that, make sure ur comming up even weekly at least and not too far under :D
  • AnnabellKE
    AnnabellKE Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Umm...this is some kind of joke right?
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    This is one of the WORST ideas I've seen on MFP, and that says a LOT.

mhmmmmm... +1
  • daggs95
    daggs95 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I will poop on your parade so younger people or the mentally challenged don't think this is a good or sensible idea. In no way could that be enough calories, so you may as well just say hey you want to get fat. even a bite of something super rich and decadent (like this awesome brownie I just had) is waaay less than 50 calories unless of course its a HUGE bite (so for example I would have to eat the whole brownie in 6 bites for it to equal that...and that would be hard to do) I had turkey breast for lunch and needed to eat 2 slices (many bites) to equal 50 calories.

I am also as tall and when I started was looking to lose similar weight (originally about 25lbs)...and when I ate like that I got sick and lost no fat. It was fabulous waste of time and unneccesary sufferidge, I suppose I should have played it harder, poor me and my stupid self-imposed-low calorie diet...but I just wasn't thinking right, nope I figured I didn't want to feel that way so I learned to eat something more responsible, like 1700-1800 calories a day since that still puts me at a 500 deficit, and gives me room for more of one with exercise, or more food if I need the fuel. Instead now I am strong, and realize that half of the battle of the buldge was in my own head, because I didn't like the scale.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I love this idea!!! I was getting fed up with counting calories...WAY to tedious e-v-e-r-y-d-a-y!!! So 20 bites a day huh? I can do that...I take really big bites. AND...I can drink my RT. 44 Cherry Cokes again, because drinking doesn't count as a bite. This is going to be AWESOME!!! OH...and I don't really "bite" ice cream either, just put it in my mouth and let it melt. Soups...no bites there either, more of a slurp and drink.
  • estherwhetstone
    estherwhetstone Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I just take normal size bites and don't overthink it. When I'm done, I'm done. I posted this on here because I thought this was also a support group, obviously I'm wrong about that and it's just a calorie counting website. I do want to say that I have tons of energy and I sleep very well. Everything I eat tastes amazing.
This discussion has been closed.