Replies

• L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    This thread reminds me of classic Muppet Movie joke:

"No, no, no. Myth! Myth!"
    "Yeth?"

- - -

OP - it think it all depends on your own definition of Happiness. :flowerforyou: Perhaps if you think it's an illusion than your standards are too high. Or perhaps you don't want to be happy.
  • vbrent07
    vbrent07 Posts: 115
    Options
    Well I don't think anyone can be happy 24/7. Some people depend on different things to make them happy but I think that can be destructive because in reality they need to be happy with themselves first. What really bothers me is people who are miserable when they really have everything going for them. Do they have a kid that's dying, are they extremely sick, are they living on the streets? Most of the time no, things are just not going the way they want them too. Well, it never does, you have to make your own happiness through the obstacles. For everyone that is going through a depressing time someone is going through a lot worse! There are situations in life that have made me sad and feel that I'll never be completely happy but I try to have hope that it will get better, it does. It might be in a day, a year, 20 years, but it always will. Happiness is not a myth, it is something you have to obtain all by yourself.
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Happiness is a choice that I have made. For example, my boyfriend brought flowers to work for me one day. A coworker asked why and I responded because they were on sale at the grocery story. She was shocked he would bring me "sale flowers" and I wasn't mad that was the reason. Seriously? End result - I have a huge bunch of beautiful flowers on my desk hand delivered by the man I love. What do you have?

Another time I was walking in to work. A blizzard was predicted for that night and the next day. When I got to my desk I mentioned to a coworker how beautiful it was outside. The trees flocked with snow, the big fluffy flakes falling, and the lighting at that moment looked like a Christmas card. Her response, "Yea, but we all know what's coming." Really? It's beautiful right now and you're going to overlook that because because of what will happen in the future? (BTW - the blizzard and snow drifts the next morning were also beautiful.)

So, I choose happiness. I choose to find the beauty in life. I choose to be grateful for gifts I've received. You can choose differently and we will probably not be friends.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Well, this is pessimistic. Happiness is not a myth. It's a choice. If you don't want to be happy... you won't be.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    *throws a glitter-loaded unicorn in the OP's eyes*

BEING HAPPY IS A CHOICE!
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    *throws a glitter-loaded unicorn in the OP's eyes*

BEING HAPPY IS A CHOICE!

Glitter. Oohhhh shiny.
  • Kmags66
    Kmags66 Posts: 21
    Options
    If you choose to believe that ...............your life sucks lol

I choose to be happy even with the bumps in the road !!! Sometimes it's the bumps that make you a better person

Agreed!

I totally agree, hapiness is a state of mind, it is all in your pespective not circumstances. You need to change up your attitude, there is no point in being miserable! Start having gratitude for the many blessing you no doubt have all around you.
  • AliceKlaar
    AliceKlaar Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    644132_423846760998265_611218439_n.jpg
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Well, I'd rather live in a myth than be obviously miserable.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    everyday I'm sober is icing on the cake
  • chsmith79
    chsmith79 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    There are no BAD days. Some are just BETTER than others!!
  • khara2012
    khara2012 Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Happiness is not a myth...I SWEAR!! I have visited there before!! :wink:
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Happiness is not a myth...I SWEAR!! I have visited there before!! :wink:

I knew I've seen you some place
  • DrJeep
    DrJeep Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Being Happy is a myth...Its an illusion to what we all are trying to attain. In everything we do in our daily lives its this deluded concept that what we are doing can somehow make us happy. We go to our jobs to slave away and earn a few dollars to buy stuff. We bite into a warm chocolate chip cookie for 5 seconds of bliss. A cigarette, a drink, a relationship, SEX. None of it is happiness its this false short lived instant... a brief moment. Its all a lie

You my friend are confusing pleasure and happiness.

Pleasure is a bite of a cookie, a morning spent having sex, a cigarette or a drink. A short lived moment that makes you feel "good"

Happiness is the bigger and broader perspective of things, and comes from within.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I wouldn't call happiness a myth, as some people really believe they are happy, and happiness is really subjective anyway, but not everyone can necessarily be happy. Don't believe the people who say you choose to be miserable and your life is going to suck. Embrace your point of view, find things that you enjoy, and ride out the s*** storm. And also don't care so much. When you don't give a f***, you're really free.
  • cassie_golden
    cassie_golden Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Every thing I need Is in my savior. I trust in the lord and seek happiness, peace and love through him:).
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    ^^^^Also, don't be like this. ^^^^
  • Im4gin3th4t
    Im4gin3th4t Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Happiness is a choice. Take it from someone who is dealing with severe depression. Being happy isn't necessarily easy, but if you only look at the negatives in life you'll never be happy. Why don't you make a list of things you are happy to have. Start with life and even if there is nothing else you still have the biggest gift a person can possibly have. Maybe add internet connection to that list too...so many people don't even have that!

Also try keeping a journal, write out why you are upset and you'll start to see patterns. But don't let it become a journal of why your life sucks. It's to help you write out your feelings and how to avoid those feelings in the future or how to deal with them better.

And for the record, when they tried to give me pills to "cure" my depression I refused, I also don't go to therapy. So no there are no happy pills involved in this post.
  • anewlife4me8610
    anewlife4me8610 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Unjunk, you need a hug! Seriously happiness is not a myth...its a state of mind...and a HUGE choice one makes every second of every day. If you are unhappy with in yourself, it will be hard to share happiness with someone else...but true happiness is love of oneself. I know recently I have had days where everything SUCKS big time....My moms death really made me take account of the things in life that ROCK and make living worthwhile....if you dwell on the negative, then that's the state of mind you will be in. When ever you feel that your life sucks, take a good look at someones elses and you will find, it really aint that bad!!! Hang in there I hope this moment of yours has passed and things are looking up for you! Remember if you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always gotten!!! Chin up!!!
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    I can't help believing this post was meant to cause controversy. But if someone posted skies are mostly green and forest are usually purple, we wouldn't believe it. I doubt we would think the post was anything but somewhere between sad all the way to funny, because of the nonsense of the idea.

I may be wrong, the poster really is that sad and depressed and it is his view of life, but it seemed funny to read. To say life is isn't a primarily happy event, is to tell me skies are green and forests are purple, it doesn't fit in with my life experience.