What do you replace chips with?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• mitsi94
    mitsi94 Posts: 64
    Options
    Bump for the recipes! Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I will be trying some of these!
  • slshaw23
    slshaw23 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    special k cracker chips are pretty awesome

I second that...special k chips are great
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    if you're ever feeling squirrley, buy yourself a mandolin, and click this: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/potato-chips/
  • Vnm77
    Vnm77 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water like 2 glasses with meals and eat high fiber foods...that helps keep you full. And, when you feel like eating chips try Kale Chips (although the seasoned ones can really add up in calories), raw cashews, or salted dry roasted almonds...crunchy and salty but has lots of protein and nutrients!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Replace them with will power. Seriously, you're not going to win this game in the long run if you can't exercise control over your desire to eat.

While I appreciate your *incredibly* helpful response, please look down at my ticker. I am not new to this. I have exercised amazing willpower, to lose 160 lbs, I had to, and while I am eating far fewer of them, I would like to cut them out completely for something that would be more healthful. As I have done for sweets, and pasta, and a great many other things that I have learned to live without. It is a process. One that I know, very well. I have been doing this, and doing it well, might I add. Even in moderation, I have decided that I do not want them in my diet anymore, but, I would like to have a good substitute for something salty in the evenings while watching a movie with my family that will be eating (and buying their own) chips anyway. I do not feel it irrational for me to ask the opinions of others for a good alternative.

I did notice your ticker when I replied. You've done a seriously amazing job. What I was really trying to say (and could have done so with less glib, sorry.) is that thinking differently about food is as important as what you're actually eating. If you think of veggies or kale as replacements then your brain is always going to crave the real thing every time your eat them. You don't have to give up chips, just eat less of them. I feel there's a problem with all the diet, low fat, low carb foods that are available now. They completely side step the issue of eating too much volume. "Hey! no need to eat less mayo, just eat this low fat version, right?" I dunno, I suspect it's a big part of the reason that many people gain the weight back.

Substitution is a good tactic for some people, and it's not always translated to needing to make substitutions in ALL areas either. When I first got started, one of my trigger foods was potato chips. I ate an entire bag in one sitting at least 3x per week. Switching that out for a lower-calorie version helped me stay within my calories and not feel like I was depriving myself. THEN I made cuts to the portion sizes. Most of the other food items I was overindulging in, I was able to trim back my portions or replace outright with healthy alternatives. I just struggled with things like chips and sodas so I did the substitutions first with those trigger items initially.

Some people need to do this in steps with certain food items. Not everyone can do it all at once. For me, one of the reasons I found success and control was realizing that there were alternative foods with similar texture that were lower in calories and more reasonable for my diet goals than what I was eating before. If I had felt like a failure for making those changes in the way I did, I probably would've just given up.
  • Dawnymaries
    Options
    Any sort of whole grain cracker. Triscuits are awesome, especially the Thin Crisps as they are much easier to count.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    Hubby and I use Special K pop chips, and 100 calorie pringles
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I like green peppers. Crunchy like a chip.
  • shaleasymphony
    shaleasymphony Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    nothing. if i want chips, i eat them. if i'm a bit over, then jog on place for about 5 mins so your not anymore
  • courtneylduncan
    Options
    have you ever tried snap pea crisps? They are amazing!
  • Deebautista
    Deebautista Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I make homemade popcorn. 1/4 cup is only 150 calories! Yum!
  • katzmiss
    Options
    my friend brought over a bag of croutons one night to watch a movie. I thought she was crazy but they were surprisingly satisfying. I like to slice ciabatta bread really thin and bake in quickly in the oven at a high temp. It's crispy and tastes kind of like home made melba toasts (but way better than store bought melba toasts), and is satisfying on its own and also delicious with a little bit of cheese or hummus. another thing i have had but can never seem to find at the store are flat pretzels. i dont know why but they are soooo much better than pretzels sticks!
  • vidvox
    vidvox Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    cucumber slices (with a bit of sea salt)
    pistachios
    roasted pumpkin seeds...

(she says while up to her elbows in pumpkin guts in preparation for the big day tomorrow!):smile:
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Bacon.

BEST.ANSWER.EVER.

x195468623971456995618
  • explodingalice
    explodingalice Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hell yes! <3
    Replace them with will power. Seriously, you're not going to win this game in the long run if you can't exercise control over your desire to eat.

While I appreciate your *incredibly* helpful response, please look down at my ticker. I am not new to this. I have exercised amazing willpower, to lose 160 lbs, I had to, and while I am eating far fewer of them, I would like to cut them out completely for something that would be more healthful. As I have done for sweets, and pasta, and a great many other things that I have learned to live without. It is a process. One that I know, very well. I have been doing this, and doing it well, might I add. Even in moderation, I have decided that I do not want them in my diet anymore, but, I would like to have a good substitute for something salty in the evenings while watching a movie with my family that will be eating (and buying their own) chips anyway. I do not feel it irrational for me to ask the opinions of others for a good alternative.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I replace them with going to the gym. Seriously.
  • michellew91
    michellew91 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I cut a tortilla into wedges, spray it with pam, and bake it. I wish I liked the taste of wheat tortillas for the fiber content, but have not found any brands I even remotely like.
  • Ledgehanger
    Ledgehanger Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds. :smile:

(No, really. For somebody trying to restrict carbohydrates, there aren't too many "chip-like" options - but pork rinds have zero carbs.)

The spicy ones are best. The "regular" ones taste like... well... like what one might expect fried pig skin to taste like. But the spicy ones? Those are tasty!
  • blpasquarella
    blpasquarella Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm curious too, need a replacement for tortilla chips. My salsa is so low cal it's a shame the tostido's make me shy away from it!

i go with garden of eatin blue corn chips if i HAVE to have chips! otherwise i try to eat salsa with other (maybe strange) things like neutral tasting veggies (think celery or cucumbers)

as far as chips, i LOVE the special k "cracker chips." so yummy and you can eat 27 for 110 cals or something like that! def curbs my cravings.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    ok..so i made some kale chips...i can see how they could be so yummy...but being an amateur cook here are the mistakes i made for other amateur cooks to consider :p

1. I cooked them at 350 degrees...20 mins was too long ..in my oven at least.. when you make them for the first time..monitor them after 10 mins.

2. i gave them a light coat of olive oil spray.. along with the sea salt. I think this might have made them over done too.

3. idk if the others eat the stem part of the leaf..but i found it very bitter... i dont mean the ends of the whole *bunch* but the stems.

Next time they will be awesome! thanks much!!