Friend Requesters - Is it really that hard...

Options

Replies

• LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I do this. I add people when we have the same amount of weight to lose - we both started the same time, or i am interested in their diary. I personally don't think its a big deal.

That's fair enough thanks for explaining. But wouldn't you want them to know that? Just a quick little line to explain why?
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I can't figure it out either. I want to support people. It's hard to do that if I accept every complete stranger I've never talked to in my life.

Hey, I don't know you, and I don't want to talk to you, but can I watch what you eat all day?

No thanks.

Unless you have a reason, then it's a whole different story ;)

What I really don't understand are the ones with hundreds of friends who are still blindly friending everyone.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    There are many of us introverts in the world that it really is "that hard" for. Just sending the friend request is "that hard" and they probably are inspired by your success, or think you seem knowledgeable in the forums and hoped to be your friends to keep up the inspiration or benefit from your knowledge.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I do this. I add people when we have the same amount of weight to lose - we both started the same time, or i am interested in their diary. I personally don't think its a big deal.

I agree. A friend request on MFP is not a request to go steady.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

but how do you handle getting fidgety in your seat?....

I have heard there is a tampon scene? You could probably ask them to flip to that. (Sorry I haven't actually read the book. But the excerpts people post here are hilarious.)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily refuse a friend request from someone that doesn't send me a message but I will from someone who is either really young or doesn't have anything filled out in their profile. I see no reason why you can't write SOMETHING about yourself without revealing anything specific.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    ITT: The OP and supporters attempt to justify some form of Elitism over an internet website that tracks

calories, and has a social network.

tumblr_m8r8a8PRx61qjemo2o1_500.gif

brb pointless gifs/pics when i can't actually come back with a rebuttal

what gif will he respond with next?

Oh c'mon, don't be like that. Its not fun if you're not going to play...
  • indigo_rose
    Options
    and that is why I reject 95% of my requests! :flowerforyou:

I'm the one that got through?!?!

35iay4j.gif

I love Jenna Marbles. Let's be friends. You can send me a blank request.

I just love blondes

Who're girls

And jumping

creepersmile.gif

Creeper pic - a little freaky but makes u giggle at the same time.

I do both.. I'll send a MSG to those that specifically ask for one.. But if their profile doesn't specifically request it I assume they either don't mind or don't give a ****.. I personally don't mind.. I have bigger things to worry about.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Whenever I send a friend request, I always add a little message as well. Sometimes I'm accepted, other times I'm declined. Yet I have accepted ALL requests sent to me, and more often than not, they are blank. I guess I'm just weird that way. :wink:
  • missroro1023
    Options
    Doesn't sound hard at all.

For me personally I ask that they email me with a resume and a cover page outlining their qualifications and life long experiences that make them candidate to make my friend list.

Also they have to write a 1,000 - 1,500 word essay with a clear thesis, 5 supporting arguments and a strong conclusion, using only academic sources and scholarly journals for reference.

Sometimes personal interviews may be necessary and some conditions may also apply.

hahaha your sarcasm made my night! :)
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I accept all friend requests....I may not be able to comment on all the posts, but when they message me, personally, I do communicate with them and get to know them...I've met some great people!!!!
  • mommyhoney2
    mommyhoney2 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am here to lose weight...I have great support already from my MFP's...I dont care if anyone sends me a FR with a message or not...once we connect and are doing like minded I keep them or delete them...this posting itself is too much drama and contradictory to whether someone sends you a message with their FR or not....face it...no matter what they say to you, to be on your friends list...most you wont know anyways......
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    IyQqA.gif
  • HisangelG
    HisangelG Posts: 96 Member
    Options

For me personally I ask that they email me with a resume and a cover page outlining their qualifications and life long experiences that make them candidate to make my friend list.

Also they have to write a 1,000 - 1,500 word essay with a clear thesis, 5 supporting arguments and a strong conclusion, using only academic sources and scholarly journals for reference.

Sometimes personal interviews may be necessary and some conditions may also apply.

Snerk. Guess I will never qualify. Pity. We could have been so good together.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS send a message with my Friend Requests. It can get a bit aggravating when almost all FR's come to me without one.
  • _shortstack
    _shortstack Posts: 46 Member
    Options

Haha! This guy is great!
  • Minnesota_Nice
    Minnesota_Nice Posts: 414 Member
    Options

Totally made me giggle.
  • senami632
    senami632 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

Hahahahah *giggles*

But really...I usually don't send friend requests to people who demand that I explain why I want to be 'friends' with them here. It's never that serious. But hey, that's just me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I just do not get the butthurt of people who do not agree with people's personal preference to ask for a message. I have one in my profile but apparently I am elitist or conceited just for having it! I am not sure what smacks of elitism about my request for a message.

Mine says: "Friend requests: I DO NOT ACCEPT FRs WITHOUT A NOTE INDICATING WHY YOU WANT TO ADD ME. I am always happy to add like-minded folks but like to keep up with my friends and so while I am very flattered if you want to add me, I want to keep that list manageable."

Could someone please explain how that it elitist or conceited?

Sorry for the caps - it is a copy paste from my profile and I put the caps on to try to bring peoples attention to it, which does not seem to work in any event, as I do not like declining FRs out of hand.
  • Brewster1215
    Brewster1215 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread. 5 of my friends have participated. 2 sent me friends request my first day without messages, 1 I sent the FR without the message and 2 with a message. All ways have been valid.

I DO know that I probably would have given up already if it weren't for them. And I think that's what's most important to me.