• girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I live in WA and im not happy about this. Hope they tax the crap out of it
    Did you vote?!
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    So disgusting. Can't wait for my taxes to go a pothead's food stamps for cheetos and his healthcare.

wow, you really are misinformed.

It is projected that in 5 years, the marijuana taxes collected (in Washington State ALONE) will be $1.9 BILLION, yes BILLION with a 'B'. Tell me what taxes YOU pay that in 5 years will garner that much revenue.

$1.9 Billion for education and healthcare is so horrible.

Oh, I realize that. The taxes are the ONLY good thing coming out of marijuana legalization. I still think it's disgusting and proof that the nation's morals and values have gone to *kitten*. I don't want to walk outside and involuntarily inhale smoke from my neighbors blunt. I don't want to have to be cautious of not only drunk drivers on the road, but stoned ones too. I don't want our next generation to grow up thinking that smoking is an acceptable recreational behavior. I am for the use of medicinal marijuana, but in the same way I don't want prescription pain killers to become OTC, I don't want marijuana to be legalized for recreational use.
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    Stoners rejoice. they can now smoke marijuana like they smoke cigarettes. The American IQ just took a big hit. What do you think?

The benefits of marijuana are so great that this could NEVER be a bad thing. It cures cancer, it helps very sick people who cannot get relief from any man-made chemical and it end crime when legalized. Drug legalization = income from tax revenue and ending gang/cartel crime.

YAY!

Weed kills cancer now?
    That's new one on me...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/19/marijuana-and-cancer_n_1898208.html

It's not a new one for the Federal government. They have known since the 70s that THC has the potential to destroy cancer cells. What they *didn't* know is that it is not just THC, but also CBD. Both THC and CBD work together to seek out and destroy cancerous cells, as well as directing your body to grow new, healthy cells. If it weren't for all the lies and corruption, America would have *tons* of studies on this by now. Instead, we have to rely on studies done in Europe. The cannabis plant has thousands of cannabinoids, in addition to THC, which have a variety of medicinal properties. This is why the plant is beneficial for treatments of so many different types of illnesses.

i don't know if this is accurate or not. I have read no studies on it. Since you have, can you maybe tell me why my sister-in-law, who has smoked pot regularly (daily) for 40 years or so still got cancer? I am not being sarcastic. I truly am curious how this works.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't really care.

It'll be great for the diet industry in those states - I've never smoked pot myself, but I hear it can give you a serious case of the munchies.
  • Blown_Away1
    Blown_Away1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Cheetos a Doritos sales are about to spike in those states.

We have a winner! :smokin: :laugh:
  • GypsysBloodRose26
    GypsysBloodRose26 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I dont care if they legalize/ dont legalize. I am a tobacco smoker. I am just sick and tired of Pot smokers giving me **** because I like to smoke a cigar and feel there should be more places for tobacco smokes to go inside to smoke. a cigar bar or lounge. DOnt make one smoking substance more legal and another smoking substance closer to illegal.
    my $.02

I'm allergic to Pot and I have a lung disease. I think that smoking indoors should be completely banned. Unless it is as you suggested, a "cigar bar or lounge."
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    So disgusting. Can't wait for my taxes to go a pothead's food stamps for cheetos and his healthcare.

It is projected that in 5 years, the marijuana taxes collected (in Washington State ALONE) will be $1.9 BILLION, yes BILLION with a 'B'. Tell me what taxes YOU pay that in 5 years will garner that much revenue.

Oh, I realize that. The taxes are the ONLY good thing coming out of marijuana legalization. I still think it's disgusting and proof that the nation's morals and values have gone to *kitten*. I don't want to walk outside and involuntarily inhale smoke from my neighbors blunt. I don't want to have to be cautious of not only drunk drivers on the road, but stoned ones too. I don't want our next generation to grow up thinking that smoking is an acceptable recreational behavior. I am for the use of medicinal marijuana, but in the same way I don't want prescription pain killers to become OTC, I don't want marijuana to be legalized for recreational use.

then I assume you have never partaken in smoking.

I only say this because people who are regular smokers, will admit, that if they had a choice to be driving on the road with someone who is drunk or someone who is stoned, 100% will say 'stoned'. Most smokers know their limits, and if they have to drive will actually be MORE careful about their driving.

A recent NatGeo doc about alcohol in America was interviewing ER nurses about the victims that come in. Every single nurse AND police officer said that they would rather deal with a person who is stoned rather than the drunk. Drunk people are more likely to get violent, the stoned people are relaxed and mellow.

Marijuana is not only for pain management, but also to induce hunger for cancer patients.

But it's okay, you don't have to worry about it since it is still illegal in your state.

If you are open to it, I suggest you read more on the benefits of marijuana: http://www.benefitsofmarijuana.com/benefits.php

remember, both alcohol and tobacco were considered 'miracle cures' and doctors prescribed them regularly for any ailment.
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    Speaking as proud voter for Colorado's Amendment 64, I can tell you that this will do amazing things for this state. If you've ever been here, you'll know that half the people here partake in the use of marijuana anyway. Now it can be regulated and taxed with the money going towards funding our schools. In addition to that, our tax dollars will no longer be wasted pursuing small time marijuana sellers, growers and users, and can now be spent fighting real crime. Beyond the medicinal qualities of marijuana, it is a very valuable natural resource and we now have the freedom to benefit from it. Thomas Jefferson would be proud.

ETA: There is no difference between this and the end of alcohol prohibition.

also, if it is legal, gov. can insure laws are in place such that the product is safe/know what's in it.

Couldn't agree more, and I don't use it.

If it is regulated like alcohol, you will see more people using it like alcohol. it will be at parties, it will be with kids, and it will also be with the people who drive under the influence. This will increase the amount of people out on the roads who will kill more kids walking in the crosswalks because the effects of the marijuana will make that person color blind and mistake that red light for green.....the financial side of it is good, but it has a chance at being negated by the peripheral effects. There are much, much more peripheral effects, but DWI is just one of them.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I dont care if they legalize/ dont legalize. I am a tobacco smoker. I am just sick and tired of Pot smokers giving me **** because I like to smoke a cigar and feel there should be more places for tobacco smokes to go inside to smoke. a cigar bar or lounge. DOnt make one smoking substance more legal and another smoking substance closer to illegal.
    my $.02

Apples to Oranges
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

It is still going to be illegal to smoke in public, so you're not going to smell it walking down the street- and if you don't think people are getting stoned and driving now, you're more naive than you appear.
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    Marijuana is a gateway drug. If you make it accessible to people, those people will distribute, or sell, it to the kids. These kids will grow to do crack, and will ultimately end up incarcerated. This will expand the cost for the department of corrections and overcrowd our prisons.

Because marijuana interferes with our ability to think, it will affect our ability to learn, and make people dumber, further damaging the middle class and creating more people who think that "the rich people are too rich."

I, personally, am against it. I will not support a hypocritical system that tells people to not smoke the very drug that helps keep them in the classroom in the first place.
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Is this the "medical marijuana" or the real deal that was legalized?
    Read it here: "... As of Dec. 6, it will no longer be illegal for adults 21 and over to possess an ounce of marijuana. A new "drugged driving" law for marijuana impairment also kicks in then."

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2019621894_elexmarijuana07m.html
    We've had med marijuana legal since maybe last year. Lots of dispensaries popped up, then many were closed down recently by the Atty General (I think). You can read up on it if you want to because I'm not getting all the dates correct.
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Marijuana is a gateway drug. If you make it accessible to people, those people will distribute, or sell, it to the kids. These kids will grow to do crack, and will ultimately end up incarcerated. This will expand the cost for the department of corrections and overcrowd our prisons.

Because marijuana interferes with our ability to think, it will affect our ability to learn, and make people dumber, further damaging the middle class and creating more people who think that "the rich people are too rich."

I, personally, am against it. I will not support a hypocritical system that tells people to not smoke the very drug that helps keep them in the classroom in the first place.

1310480585093.jpg
  • funkyspunky872
    Options

I only say this because people who are regular smokers, will admit, that if they had a choice to be driving on the road with someone who is drunk or someone who is stoned, 100% will say 'stoned'. Most smokers know their limits, and if they have to drive will actually be MORE careful about their driving.

A recent NatGeo doc about alcohol in America was interviewing ER nurses about the victims that come in. Every single nurse AND police officer said that they would rather deal with a person who is stoned rather than the drunk. Drunk people are more likely to get violent, the stoned people are relaxed and mellow.

Marijuana is not only for pain management, but also to induce hunger for cancer patients.

But it's okay, you don't have to worry about it since it is still illegal in your state.

If you are open to it, I suggest you read more on the benefits of marijuana: http://www.benefitsofmarijuana.com/benefits.php

remember, both alcohol and tobacco were considered 'miracle cures' and doctors prescribed them regularly for any ailment.

Why do you keep bringing up the medical benefits? I've already stated several times that I am all for medical uses. I'd love for marijuana to be used to induce hunger in cancer patients. I'd love for it to be used to manage severe pain. I've seen great strides in epilepsy with the use of medicinal marijuana. I am aware that marijuana is already used like this in several states, and I think medicinal marijuana needs to be extended into national legislation. Use needs to be controlled though and limited only to medical practices. If it does become legal for recreational use throughout the country, I'm all for taxing the Hell out of it.

But why does it NEED to become legal for recreational use? Just for the sake of "fun" or "socializing"? Or just because it's 'better than alcohol and cigarettes'? Just because weed is the lesser of two 'evils' (for lack of a better term) doesn't mean it has grounds for legalization. I don't see alcohol and cigarettes going anywhere, so why not leave it at that? Stop adding to the problem with more drugs and more choices.
  • funkyspunky872
    Options

You know who'd I'd rather be driving on the road with? Someone who is neither drunk nor stoned. But since that's not always the case, at least I'd rather deal with one or the other and not both at the same time.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Stoners rejoice. they can now smoke marijuana like they smoke cigarettes. The American IQ just took a big hit. What do you think?

The benefits of marijuana are so great that this could NEVER be a bad thing. It cures cancer, it helps very sick people who cannot get relief from any man-made chemical and it end crime when legalized. Drug legalization = income from tax revenue and ending gang/cartel crime.

YAY!

Weed kills cancer now?
    That's new one on me...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/19/marijuana-and-cancer_n_1898208.html

It's not a new one for the Federal government. They have known since the 70s that THC has the potential to destroy cancer cells. What they *didn't* know is that it is not just THC, but also CBD. Both THC and CBD work together to seek out and destroy cancerous cells, as well as directing your body to grow new, healthy cells. If it weren't for all the lies and corruption, America would have *tons* of studies on this by now. Instead, we have to rely on studies done in Europe. The cannabis plant has thousands of cannabinoids, in addition to THC, which have a variety of medicinal properties. This is why the plant is beneficial for treatments of so many different types of illnesses.

i don't know if this is accurate or not. I have read no studies on it. Since you have, can you maybe tell me why my sister-in-law, who has smoked pot regularly (daily) for 40 years or so still got cancer? I am not being sarcastic. I truly am curious how this works.

Probably what she was smoking was lacking in cannabidiol. Most of what is in the black market has been grown to increase the THC content, to the detriment of other cannabinoids. It is cannabidiol that has aptopic effects, not THC.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

1982 called. They want their propaganda back.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

Why do you keep bringing up the medical benefits? I've already stated several times that I am all for medical uses. I'd love for marijuana to be used to induce hunger in cancer patients. I'd love for it to be used to manage severe pain. I've seen great strides in epilepsy with the use of medicinal marijuana. I am aware that marijuana is already used like this in several states, and I think medicinal marijuana needs to be extended into national legislation. Use needs to be controlled though and limited only to medical practices. If it does become legal for recreational use throughout the country, I'm all for taxing the Hell out of it.

But why does it NEED to become legal for recreational use? Just for the sake of "fun" or "socializing"? Or just because it's 'better than alcohol and cigarettes'? Just because weed is the lesser of two 'evils' (for lack of a better term) doesn't mean it has grounds for legalization. I don't see alcohol and cigarettes going anywhere, so why not leave it at that? Stop adding to the problem with more drugs and more choices.

It's not an evil. It's a recreational substance, like a skateboard, video game, or a taco bell burrito. The problem with it being illegal are the billions of dollars spent and lives lost in the futile drug war. That is why it should be legal. The taxation part is just a perk to help push the government towards repeal of the prohibition.

Are there not upstanding citizens in society that smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol in moderation? Should these things be outlawed? Do you want your tax dollars going toward enforcement that nobody drinks or smokes?

Edit, oh I forgot to mention, pot users taking up prison cells alongside hardened criminals. Smoking a little weed is just as bad as raping babies, so it's all fair right?
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

LOL damnit you got us! Didn't realize this thread was just a troll.

Well done, sir. Well done.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

Seriously....
This discussion has been closed.