Pot is legal in CO and WA

Options

Replies

• Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    If alcohol is legal, marijuana should be legal, too.

Thats what I always thought!! I dont smoke it...but I have seen alcohol ruin lives more than weed ever thought of....I tyhink its a good medicine for cancer, MS, and lots of other diseases- not narcotics or addictive pain-killers that will ruin your liver and leave you worse than before....My cousins grow marijuana and sell it to clinics in Cali..
  • sirthickness
    Options
    The days of Prohibition are numbered. Congratulations to those two states, as well as the MA that will now allow legal access for patients. Cannabis is *by far* the safer alternative to alcohol.
    define "safer"
  • sirthickness
    Options
    http://youtu.be/gWhUqo9Aivs
    Its not a drug its a plant it just grows that way
    oh, it's on youtube so if must be true. WOW!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Missouri is a lame state to begin with. The ignorance of these people here in Missouri (thinking they are some deep southern state) is appaulable.

Missouri won't even legalize marijuana for medicinal use and I see pot busts all over the place.

Funny thing is I knew more irrisponsible pot heads when I lived in Misery... lol

I have lived here my whole life and have to let you know that our polling data says you're wrong. Fifty-three percent of Missouri voters are in favor of legalization, and only about thirty percent are opposed. The rest are undecided. We will see it legal in Missouri soon. The only reason we didn't get it on the ballot this time was that the effort was entirely done by unpaid volunteers. We fell short of the number of required signatures. We will get there though.

Edit: I don't know any Missourian who thinks of themselves as southern. We are in the Midwest.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options

Thats what I always thought!! I dont smoke it...but I have seen alcohol ruin lives more than weed ever thought of....I tyhink its a good medicine for cancer, MS, and lots of other diseases- not narcotics or addictive pain-killers that will ruin your liver and leave you worse than before....My cousins grow marijuana and sell it to clinics in Cali..

Then why not legalize it for medicine and put tighter restrictions on what illnesses qualify for use? Everybody keeps bringing up the health and pain benefits, but I guarantee you, the first people who are going to buy it are not sick at all. Sick in the head maybe... You said it yourself: it's great for pain management, but where is the benefit to recreational use?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The days of Prohibition are numbered. Congratulations to those two states, as well as the MA that will now allow legal access for patients. Cannabis is *by far* the safer alternative to alcohol.
    define "safer"

Alcohol literally poisons your body. Cannabis does not.
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    So disgusting. Can't wait for my taxes to go a pothead's food stamps for cheetos and his healthcare.

Is this for real? :huh:
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    So disgusting. Can't wait for my taxes to go a pothead's food stamps for cheetos and his healthcare.

wow, you really are misinformed.

It is projected that in 5 years, the marijuana taxes collected (in Washington State ALONE) will be $1.9 BILLION, yes BILLION with a 'B'. Tell me what taxes YOU pay that in 5 years will garner that much revenue.

$1.9 Billion for education and healthcare is so horrible.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options

Then why not legalize it for medicine and put tighter restrictions on what illnesses qualify for use? Everybody keeps bringing up the health and pain benefits, but I guarantee you, the first people who are going to buy it are not sick at all. Sick in the head maybe... You said it yourself: it's great for pain management, but where is the benefit to recreational use?

it already IS legal for medicinal use in SEVERAL states...Colorado, Washington, Oregon, California, Montana, marijuana is a social drug as well, it makes people relax and feel at ease (again depending on indica or setiva strains).

I really think that for you to have a valid argument, you should arm yourself with facts, not propaganda.
  • LynnieG85
    LynnieG85 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great thing, they may as well legalise it and make money from taxing it!

One thing, though, I can see those who partake in the odd joint in these states.... your MFP diary's going to be full of munchy crap hahaha
  • santacruz_livin
    Options
    Are they gonna sell it at stores now?

They're called dispensaries where they have medical marijuana. I imagine they will continue the same practice of selling it out of dispensaires, however, you wont need the doctor recommendation for medical use....you will just need your ID proving you're 21+....

I'm interested in seeing how it plays out in regards to the federal law superceding the state law. If it looks good, guess I'll be moving ;) Although it hasn't really been a problem here in California with my medical card.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

Recreation is the benefit for recreational use.
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Meh. I voted for it. Doesn't mean it won't be overturned by the federal gov't. Doesn't mean I want to run out and smoke it. Yuk.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Speaking as proud voter for Colorado's Amendment 64, I can tell you that this will do amazing things for this state. If you've ever been here, you'll know that half the people here partake in the use of marijuana anyway. Now it can be regulated and taxed with the money going towards funding our schools. In addition to that, our tax dollars will no longer be wasted pursuing small time marijuana sellers, growers and users, and can now be spent fighting real crime. Beyond the medicinal qualities of marijuana, it is a very valuable natural resource and we now have the freedom to benefit from it. Thomas Jefferson would be proud.

ETA: There is no difference between this and the end of alcohol prohibition.

also, if it is legal, gov. can insure laws are in place such that the product is safe/know what's in it.

Couldn't agree more, and I don't use it.
  • StormyLlewellyn
    Options
    :blushing:
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Stoners rejoice. they can now smoke marijuana like they smoke cigarettes. The American IQ just took a big hit. What do you think?

Some people do better on IQ tests with marijuana.

I was the best producer on my team back when I worked in an office and still used marijuana. That was both in accuracy and speed.
  • FeatherBoBeather
    FeatherBoBeather Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Stoners rejoice. they can now smoke marijuana like they smoke cigarettes. The American IQ just took a big hit. What do you think?

Marijuana doesn't kill brain cells. Smoke inhalation causing asphyxiation is what does it.
    Do some research. I recommend watching The Union.

As some have said, I'm thankful that this is finally a step away from prohibition; get the drugs off the street from the criminal dealers & into the regulation of the state & the people. Yay for CO & WA!
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options

wow, you really are misinformed.

It is projected that in 5 years, the marijuana taxes collected (in Washington State ALONE) will be $1.9 BILLION, yes BILLION with a 'B'. Tell me what taxes YOU pay that in 5 years will garner that much revenue.

$1.9 Billion for education and healthcare is so horrible.

Darn right! Your taxes may go down as a result of this law. The government just found a double-positive with new tax revenue coming in and less tax money spent on prisons and the legal system. It's a wonderful and progressive thing!
  • graywi123
    graywi123 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yeah tax it!
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Don't really care, but I'm not against it.
This discussion has been closed.