Why is it ok to bash skinny people but not fat people?!

Options

Replies

• umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine and I discussed this the other day. She's doing a paper on the media's affect on body image and we discussed how the media not only can make larger people feel like they aren't beautiful, the media also can shame on people who are smaller, or more muscular. There's always criticism no matter what size you are - like someone else said in here, everyone really is a victim.

You may choose to just ignore the problem and just say that you want to focus only on your own health. That's fine - but I think it really is important also to address these issues of just hate in general on people's appearances.

To me, being HEALTHY is attractive. It's beautiful - and everyone has some kind of beauty in them. Be it heavier or skinnier or really muscular. The only thing that is UGLY is being UNHEALTHY.

Seriously. Love yourself for who you are, and treat your body right. There's no shame in that. <3
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My wife has always been thin (though sexy thin with curves) and her whole life she has been accused of anorexia and other ED's. And it's simply not true and it's very hurtful to her. And most of the time it comes from overweight women. Jealousy maybe?

I am smack in the middle of the healthy BMI category (6'1" 170 lbs) and if I bring up the fact that I run, people always say "Why do you run, you don't need to lose any weight?". 2 things idiot; I didn't get this way by sitting on my @ss, and I run because I love it.
  • wildcherryhoney420
    Options

WHY is this type of trash talk ok? You never hear people say "Wow that chick is SCARY FAT! She looks GROSS & UNHEALTHY." Yet skinny bashing is perfectly ok in our culture!

Do you live under a rock? You hear that ALL the time.

The fact of the matter is no it is not right to bash skinny or fat people....BUT it happens all the time to both people. Good job on actually doing exactly what you are complaining about in your own post, btw!

Exactly this ^^^^^^^!!!!!!!!!!!
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    They talk about the obesity epidemic every other day on the news
    With video of larger people walking, large people eating...

We know it is unhealthy.. people fail to see that being rail thin, starving yourself, is just has bad.
    Which is way we bash. :-)

Whoa...
    I'm underweight and I promise I eat more than you do (around 2500 calories a day, I maintain). Really? I'm starving myself? Making a judgement based solely on appearance is the very definition of a prejudice. I'm sure it's happened to you; how, in your mind, is it ok to turn around and do the exact same thing?

The sad truth is people judge others who are different from them (clearly). Be it out of ignorance or jealousy, it's common yet completely unacceptable. People need to spend their time focusing on how to better themselves rather than demeaning others to make themselves feel better.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I hate the "I love my curves" BS. I'm sorry, there is a difference between fat and curvy. Big boobs and a butt don't mean curvy if you are obese, they mean fat.

Before everyone starts hating- I am about 40 pounds from "real curvy", so as a current "fat curvy", I am allowed to say this :)

Yup, that's one big of a BS!

Curvy woman to me is someone like Kim Kardashian - big boobs, big butt, small waist.
    Size 20 is not curvy.

I once saw a page on Facebook called omething like I love Curvy or something like that. And it was moderated by a girl who posted her pics sometimes. She posted the pics of Marylin Monroe, Sophia Vergara, Kelly Brook, and other gorgeous women. Omg, if you saw the moments people were making! That she's not curvy, that she's too skinny to be eligible to that title, and etc. the comments were made by obviously large women.
  • YaGigi
    Options
    Lame.
    Our society has accepted obesity as the norm, not skinny people. Even when you are lean, fit, healthy, people say you are too skinny. I agree, there is a point where too skinny can be unhealthy and unattractive. But even when it is a healthy, fit, lean it goes against our society. Once you become fit you are going against the grain and I don't believe this is going to end any time soon. Our society has embraced inactivity, an over abundance of food, magic pills that don't work, wishful thinking, and weight loss surgeries.

Agree.

And I'm not American, but that the impression you guys make in your country. You have big problem with obesity and instead of fighting with it you kind of accepted it and make yourself proud of it. This term BBW is killing me, it's wrong on so many levels.

Also agree. Our country is disgusting, and frankly it makes me ashamed that we accept it like it's not big deal. All of the 3rd world countries are going to end up overtaking us because we are going to be too fat to do anything about it.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    No bashing is okay

/endthread
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Neither is okay. Both happen too often.
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    ONE! ONE failed thread! AH HA HA HA hAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA this, this is everywhere and I love it!!! :love: :laugh:
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Because there in America there are far more fat people than skinny but when you go to other continent especially in Asia, the reverse thing happens.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options

WHY is this type of trash talk ok? You never hear people say "Wow that chick is SCARY FAT! She looks GROSS & UNHEALTHY." Yet skinny bashing is perfectly ok in our culture!

Do you live under a rock? You hear that ALL the time.

The fact of the matter is no it is not right to bash skinny or fat people....BUT it happens all the time to both people. Good job on actually doing exactly what you are complaining about in your own post, btw!

This
  • closet_fatty
    Options
    Uhm... people bash on fat people all the time. I rarely ever hear people bash on skinny people unless they are highly jealous, actually worried about the person, or (forgive me) fat.

TBH the thought that people bashed on anorexics was completely foreign to me until recently, also if you took a picture of that person you might actually call them a model, because a lot of models are (in real life) really underweight.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I agree bashing shouldn't be acceptable regardless of thin or fat. But I have NO idea what you are talking about OP, because just as often as I have heard people talk poorly about "scary skinny" people I have heard those same people turn and talk about "grossly fat" people as well. I hear it all the time. I also hear people talk about that "girl's big nose" or that "man's unibrow". Looks will always be scrutinized. Oh well. If I am happy with me I don't care what others think, and neither should you. And unless these people are really good friends, you shouldn't care what or who they talk about so long as you aren't joining in.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Body bashing is going to happen in the real world whether we like it or not. There will always be someone out there that thinks we're too fat, too thin, too flabby, too muscular, whatever. Is it okay? No, but it's important to not let it get to you so much that it takes you down. There are just going to be a-holes you have to deal with in life no matter what you look like.

On MFP, however, that kind of talk is totally unacceptable IMHO. People come to MFP to deal with those issues surrounding their body and should not be made to feel unwelcome or uncomfortable here no matter where they are now or want to be (exceptions being those with eating disorders or body dysmorphia who should be directed to get help).
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Our society has accepted obesity as the norm, not skinny people. Even when you are lean, fit, healthy, people say you are too skinny. I agree, there is a point where too skinny can be unhealthy and unattractive. But even when it is a healthy, fit, lean it goes against our society. Once you become fit you are going against the grain and I don't believe this is going to end any time soon. Our society has embraced inactivity, an over abundance of food, magic pills that don't work, wishful thinking, and weight loss surgeries.

Agree.

And I'm not American, but that the impression you guys make in your country. You have big problem with obesity and instead of fighting with it you kind of accepted it and make yourself proud of it. This term BBW is killing me, it's wrong on so many levels.

Also agree. Our country is disgusting, and frankly it makes me ashamed that we accept it like it's not big deal. All of the 3rd world countries are going to end up overtaking us because we are going to be too fat to do anything about it.
    LOL I live in a 3rd world country but guess what, there is increasing case of obesity going on here as well. Even in some African nations there is a rising case of obesity.
  • samanthaspears
    samanthaspears Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure you're just looking for validation...anyone with eyes and ears knows fat bashing happens constantly. Skinny people have privilege, so ya'll can't really whine that much. Best to accept it and get on with your life.
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Get tired of the poor little me skinny rants. btw i have been extremely skinny and yes I was made fun of endlessly growing up to the point i got fat to stop hearing how i was starving myself. If you let others control you , they will.

stop worrying bout what others do and use your life to elevate and help others.

known fact that overweight people have a more difficult life: less pay, not socially accepted, made fun of constantly.

some people use their life's energy to just complain bout everything.

too bad these forums arent used for positivity, its constant rude mean people trying to assert how bad *kitten* they are with their "hate" and bashing talk.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    MFP is actually the only place I see this type of body bashing. Or maybe I just don't notice it out in the real world.
  • YaGigi
    Options

Agree.

LOL I live in a 3rd world country but guess what, there is increasing case of obesity going on here as well. Even in some African nations there is a rising case of obesity.

There is obesity in Africa, but its not normal case for their life style. Mauritania is famous for that - being fat means being rich.

Otherwise I really don't know many countries with obesity like the USA.
    When I moved to the USA, I gained 40 pounds the first year because I used to drive everywhere and the food portions were huge. Then I moved to NYC, and lost it all.
    Then I moved to Paris, and was the fattest person there with my 150 pounds on 5.10 height.
  • terracotti
    terracotti Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've always thought it's because majority of people think it's easier to gain weight than to lose weight, so they think it's okay to bash skinny people ('just eat more!') when actually, no matter how much skinny people eat, they stay as skinny as runway models. trust me.
    Yup, that's one big of a BS!

Curvy woman to me is someone like Kim Kardashian - big boobs, big butt, small waist.
    Size 20 is not curvy.

I once saw a page on Facebook called omething like I love Curvy or something like that. And it was moderated by a girl who posted her pics sometimes. She posted the pics of Marylin Monroe, Sophia Vergara, Kelly Brook, and other gorgeous women. Omg, if you saw the moments people were making! That she's not curvy, that she's too skinny to be eligible to that title, and etc. the comments were made by obviously large women.
    I agree wholeheartedly. I cringe every time someone say curvy is better in relation to being fat. yeah it's better but not every girl is curvy when they have extra pounds on them.