What did you do with your wedding dress?

Options
3dogsrunning
3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
I just picked mine up from the dry cleaner ($127 - ouch - although I am amazed how clean it is. The bottom was filthy by the end of the night, you would never know).
So now what? I tend to be sentimental but am not super attached to it. I've thought about selling or donating it (don't know where to donate something like that), but can't decide.
What would you do?

Replies

• angelacasey736
    angelacasey736 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I saved mine and then when I had my daughter I had used it to make her Christening gown - turned out beautiful and was very happy to have it used again :-)
  • thoseblueeyes
    thoseblueeyes Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I'm very sentimntal too so I still have mine after 23 yrs. I will always keep it!
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I ripped it up and made it into a Halloween costume! (I'm divorced)
  • earl_grey
    earl_grey Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is embarrassing, but..... Mine is still bundled in the plastic bag I got from our hotel room. And it's been nearly 6 months. I know I should get it dry-cleaned, but I'm honestly afraid to open that bag!!

I'll probably donate mine, but I was thinking about doing a trash-the-dress after I lose some weight. I was much heavier on my wedding day than I wanted to be, and my dress was so pretty - I'd like to get some pictures where I feel more confident in it (though I doubt I could feel happier than I did that day!)
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    With the ex-*kitten* - I donated it.

I got remarried last year. I bought a tea length dress. Now that I'm losing weight it needs alterations, but I could wear it as a cocktail dress.
  • Sharon_73
    Sharon_73 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Now keep in mind that I am divroced....... I wore mine for Halloween one year. I thought my mother would have a heart attack! I told her I couldn't think of anything scarier than marrying "him" again! LOL

Seriously, though, I donated mine to a progam here in my town called The Breast Dress. All of the money made when they sell the gowns is donated to the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation. There are plenty of programs like this and I am sure you can find one in your area.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Well, I used to be a wedding photographer. i did that for about 7 years. Out of all those weddings, I would say maybe 3 were able to wear moms dress. Body shapes are different and all that. Often the daughters wanted to, but the alterations would cost more than a new dress, or the alterations were almost impossible. Or, the daughters were total *****es and thought moms dress was ugly. The things I would hear. LOL.

I'm not very sentimental about things. So, I would sell it on ebay or something. You can donate it too. That's a nice thing to do.

If you think you'll have kids, and think it would be awesome for your daughter to wear it, maybe save it. But, she may hate the style, or it just wont fit at all, and then it was for nothing. I don't know. Just depends.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    It's crumpled up on the floor of our closet where it's been since we got married.....3 years ago :laugh:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I sold it through a consignment shop a month or two after the wedding. I wasn't ever going to wear it again, so no need to keep it.
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I ripped it up and made it into a Halloween costume! (I'm divorced)

LOL...that's a freakin GREAT idea!! I know what I'm doing next year!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I wear it in the summer time.

Seriously my wedding dress was a cute little sundress that I can wear over and over and over again. :)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I got it dry cleaned and then stuffed the box on a shelf in my parents basement! That was over 15 years ago. LOL

I should try it on next time I visit them. I'm sure it would still fit... or maybe even be a little loose.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I wore a ivory and taupe Gunne Sax dress that I already had and continued wearing it until it wore out.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I had mine made into a christening gown for my babies! It turned out beautifully!
  • LAS_1980
    LAS_1980 Posts: 156
    Options
    Sold it on eBay!!!
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    It's crumpled up on the floor of our closet where it's been since we got married.....3 years ago :laugh:
    Almost the same for me. It's hanging in it's bag, but I never had it cleaned......going on 10 years now.
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    When I left my husband, I left it there in the bedroom in a bag. He'd been cheating on me with someone who had been chief bridesmaid at our wedding.
  • kmganz
    kmganz Posts: 16
    Options
    You mean the one I never actually wore? Still in my guest bedroom closet...four years later. :noway: I really need to sell that thing!!!
  • spangey13
    Options
    I bought mine is second hand. And when I'm done with it I'm going to sell it so someone else can have a designer wedding dress for next to nothing too :-)

I don't expect future husband to keep his suit, so why would I keep my dress?
  • KatieMae75
    KatieMae75 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Well, I sat in a metal chair that had black rust on it. After we got most of that off (rolled up duct tape worked well), I spilled a vodka and cranberry juice on it. Once we got to the hotel I realized I didn't bring any way to store it, so it ended up crumpled in a plastic bag. It's currently still in that bag. We got married 11 years ago. lol I doubt it is salvageable, but I don't have a girl to pass it on to anyway. I plan on taking the trim and fabric and having a ring pillow made out of it for the boys to use when they get married if they like.