What did you do with your wedding dress?

Options

Replies

• magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Mine is preserved in a box... We have two daughters and always thought one of them might like it. **They were in K and 3rd grade when we got marries.
    It won't fit the youngest and it's a good 2 inches too short for the youngest one....

Not sure what to do with it. It's an extremely small sized dress for someone with long legs... not easy to sell!

Beautiful basque waist, strapless with really pretty design on it.
  • ShareeMorty
    ShareeMorty Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Mine is in a closet, have hung onto it in case my daughter wanted it but now my marriage is over I don't think she will. When I was younger I wished my mum had kept hers not that I would ever have fitted it LOL. I don't see the point in dragging it from house to house any more. I just need to decided whether to donate it or sell it.
  • drgmac
    drgmac Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Gave it away
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I've seen people frame them.

But I think donating it or something is a cool idea if you're not attached to it. Or you could always sell it, and donate the money.
  • TaraKathleen5
    TaraKathleen5 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Mine is put away in a memory box. It was just a cute midnight blue maternity dress. Shotgun wedding LOL!!!!
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    While I was married, I kept it stored nicely in the closet. But, really had no idea of what else to do with it.

After my divorce, I burnt it.....KIDDING. I gave it to Goodwill.
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I eloped.. so I don't have this dilemma lol
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    You can donate it to the salvation army
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    1st Marriage I wore my Mom's dress (i had it preserved)
    I still have it

2nd Marriage I bought a new one (I had it preserved) I still have it

I didn't have the heart to get rid of my Mom's dress. Hubby did not have kids so I had two more.
    My little girl (who shares my Mom's middle name) wants to wear my Mom's dress when she gets married. I told her really that is not the dress I wore to marry your Dad. Mommy your dress is okay but I want to wear the dress you wore and Grandma wore. My Mom joked around with her and told her she can make a vail out of my dress. What can I say my daughter loves her Grandma and the dress is already 60 years old so it will be at least 75 years old minimal when she gets to wear it
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I took my wedding dress out of the garment bag yesterday for the first time in 8 years and tried it in. It sure is beautiful. And absolutely ENORMOUS on me. It makes me sad that I was so fat for my wedding, all the pictures are bad.
    I don't know what to do with it, should I just hang onto it forever? I forget who the comedian was who came out on stage wearing her wedding dress. She paused while the audience laughed and said "Well, I paid $2000 for this dress, I'll be damned if I only get to wear it once".

That's the way I felt when I tried my dress on. :laugh: Now I want to wear it to work or something.
  • brunauxyeuxbeaute
    Options
    I will be burning mine shortly! Hehe...good riddance to bad memories!
  • jennibee70
    jennibee70 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    After reading these responses, and especially considering I'm divorced, I'm really glad I rented mine! We had budgeted £200 (18 years ago) for cars and £500 for my dress, and realised we couldn't get anything really special for those budgets. So we swapped them, paid £500 for two vintage cars and £200 to rent a gorgeous dress. I had the shoes and head-dress customised to match the dress though, and I did keep those. I'm considering dying the shoes scarlet!
  • marthathebear
    Options
    I like the christening gown idea! I have never heard that before. Mine is still in my closet after 30 years.
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I wore it at a haunted house I worked at... covered in fake blood. I was a kickass dead bride in the casket... don't be alarmed this was AFTER the divorce LOL. The second dress??? Well it's hanging in the closet, its a white summer dress that is good for lots of events!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Kept it. I wore it on our 30th anniversary.

That said, I did not spend even 1/10 of what my girls did on theirs (even adjusting for time) LOL
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Never had one. . . never will.
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I wore my mom's dress -- albeit with a new bodice because when we went to try it on, it appeared that her arms were made of spaghetti when she got married. I was not even close to overweight then but could not get my arms in the sleeves even part way they were so small. So when I was done with it, we had it dry cleaned and packed back in the airtight box with my bodice and hers and is still stored at her house in case my daughter or nieces ever want to use it --if they can fit into either bodice or want to make a third one to fit them.
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Save it to use as an infant portrait backdrop?

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/baisleac/Monkey/16 week Photo shoot/IMGP2857.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/baisleac/Monkey/16 week Photo shoot/IMGP2862.jpg[/img]
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Mine is in the closet.

It's just a dressy dress because we were having a informal wedding and I wanted to be able to wear it again. And it certainly was informal......two days before said wedding he wound up in the hospital. We had the wedding there.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    You mean from the wedding that I called off?

It was stored in the closet of the spare bedroom at his mother's house for 2 years or so... and then I sold it on Craigslist for about 80% of what I paid for it.

It was a gorgeous dress and it was exactly what I was looking for... unfortunately he turned out to not be what I was looking for.