What did you do with your wedding dress?

Options

Replies

• caseysexton5
    caseysexton5 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Mine is still in my childhood closet at my parent's house (where i got married). I get to see it everytime I go home for the holidays! :)
  • angee1126
    angee1126 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I gave mine to the Salvation Army. We divorced. :laugh:
  • sailingsal
    sailingsal Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Mine is in a 'wedding dress box' in my parents attic. Marriage lasted 4 years, been separated 10 years now. Haven't thought about it for a very long time!
  • minsooky
    Options
    I still have mine, even the veil. Can't bear to get rid of it because it's really the only wedding-related thing I have left -- someone stole my wedding band/engagement ring a year ago :(
  • verapamil
    Options
    Mine is hanging up in my closet in the bag it came home from the store in. I have a special place in my closet for my wedding dress and my prom dress (prom was over 12 years ago!). If I could put it on by myself, I would wear it around my house just for no reason but it's a corset back so I can't. (I can put my prom dress on by myself though, so I wear that all the time around the house just because :laugh: ) I love my dress and even though I have no reason to keep it other than to look at it and donating it would be nice, I can't get rid of it. At least once a month, I unzip the bag just to look at it. :happy:
  • SomberAngel
    Options
    i remember looking at my mom's wedding dress just before i got married and though how horribly out of fashion it was. i bought my own, and it is now vacuum packed in a box in the garage. i hate to think about my little girl looking at mine and thinking the same thing.
    I never heard about anyone creating a ring bearers pillow out of the dress, such a great idea. i have one girl and two boys, i think all three of them could have part of it, for an item like that.
  • Minnesota_Nice
    Minnesota_Nice Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I just gave mine to the consignment shop yesterday! Going through a divorce and well I never wore it anyways because we ended up getting married in the court house!
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I got married a year and a half ago and up until about 2 months ago, it was in the plastic bag that it came in hanging in our closet. I finally took it out and got dry cleaned and preserved. Now the box is sitting in the attic, never to be seen or taken out again! I have no clue what to do with it but I know that I can't just get rid of it. Now, my veil on the other hand..... is stuffed in a shoe box in the attic. A week after the wedding, I got out of the shower to find it ripped into shreds in the middle of the living room floor. The dog had somehow gotten a hold of it and had a little fun.... I cried for hours when I found it!
  • ardisia32
    ardisia32 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I never got around to making such a purchase, but my sister took a pair of scissors & seam rippers to hers -- made it into a very nice quilt. Also provides an amusing story about the reaction of her (still) husband when he walked in on her ripping it apart, "um...whatever I did, I'm very very sorry." LOL. My mom's wedding dress gave us many many hours of dress-up fun when we were little...alas, it did not survive our play.
  • needsenergy
    Options
    my x-hubby took it. I think he still has it now 5yrs after we split up.
  • TXtstorm
    TXtstorm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I think it's folded up flat inside a gallon zip-lock bag here on or near my desk somewhere... pretty sure I saw it the other day. But then, I got married over 23 years ago in the office of the JP wearing the nicest dress I could come up with at the time. A bright magenta silky jacquard fabric, made by my mom a couple of years earlier. I'm actually thinking of making being able to fit into it again one of my fitness goals.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I wore a white cotton sun dress from target in my courthouse wedding, lol. So, I still wear it sometimes. We are thinking of doing a fancier 'wedding' (vowel renewal) in a year or so, if we do I will donate my dress.
  • klacount77
    klacount77 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Mine is in a storage box with the veil, flower girl dress and the candle holders. I've moved it 4 times and never opened the box since the wedding night when I filled it. I'm sure it needs cleaned, it was pouring rain that day and every one's clothes had the black stuff on the bottom from the parking lot, including me! All our wedding party photos were taken outside under the awning ... It was such a mess.

What a wonderful day!!!!

I am sure the dress will be cut down into ring pillows for the kids' weddings ... Maybe a keepsake for me ... Who knows.
  • misalillstead
    misalillstead Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I've been pondering how to get rid of mine. It's currently in a garment bag in my closet... I was engaged for 8 years and never got married.
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I've been married 7 years and have had 3 children in that amount of time. I haven't had it cleaned yet, I take it out once or twice a year and put it on, 1: to see if it still fits and 2: it's just so pretty! One of these days I'll take it in to get cleaned and boxed up but I'm just not ready.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I only read the first few posts here but I just wanted to say thanks. I'm divorced and still have my dress in my closet, and until I came across this post I had never thought that you could donate a wedding dress!! I'm def gonna have to do that!!
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Mine is in the garment bag i bought it home in.
    Its a nice red evening dress, so when i got it i figured i could wear it to Giftmas parties ( which i have)
    Just tried it on last weekend to see if i could wear it this year and its a size tooo big.
    So i'm hoping i will never wear it again.

Not sure if i can bring myself to recycle it into a quilt ( probably too small anyway) and not woth getting altered ( only cost $100 AUS.)
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Initially, I was going to donate mine to a resale shop for someone else to enjoy. However, my sister in law (who has the same father as my husband but different mother) lost her mother some years back. I didn't know if she had gotten anything from her mom when she passed, so I asked her if she'd like to have my dress - either to use a portion of it as her something old or to wear if she wanted. Much to my surprise she was thrilled and said she wanted it. In fact, she wore it this year for her wedding and I could not have been more touched or proud to see her walk down the aisle in it. :) We paid for the alterations as part of our wedding gift. I couldn't think fo anything better for that dress!
  • ccadroz93
    ccadroz93 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My wedding dress was custom made for me by my mom. I had three different dresses that I liked different parts of. Brilliant seamstress that she is she was able tyo combine the 3 patterns and make the dress I wanted!! It was my cinderella dress and would be a great costume. I wore it one year as Glenda the Good Witch of the North-it was awesome!

I would love to get rid of it, but my mom has told me a million times how upset she would be for it to go anywhere after all the work she put into it...so it sits in its box in the back of the closet......would she really know if I donated it??? Probably not!
  • Crisitunity
    Crisitunity Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Saved it to wear to other people's weddings (;

Kidding, I haven't done jack with mine. It's hanging in my closet.