What did you do with your wedding dress?

Options

Replies

• Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Havent worn mine yet, but im getting it altered to above the knee and having it dyed so i have a cocktail dress.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Mine has survived multiple house moves and even a house fire. And now that I can fit into it again, I am planning to wear it when my husband and I renew our vows, probably on our 30th anniversary in 2014 - although it may be a bit big by then!

PS My Mum made my dress, so extra sentimental value there!
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    It's hanging in my closet. At the very least, when my daughter gets married, we'll make a ring bearer's pillow out of it or something.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    Mine is still in the garment bag. I open it up and air it out every once in a while. My oldest is 18 now and maybe will get to decide if she wants to wear it soon. When I had it made I bought extra fabric to have a christening gown made for our kids. It has been used 8 times now. Glad it is getting some use!
  • namluv
    namluv Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I gave mine to Goodwill (and no, there was no divorce involved!) I am not terribly sentimental and didn't use my mom's that she kept for anything and I figured why hang on to it for 20-30 years only to then donate it if not used. One thing I did keep was my tiara that had a veil attached that my gram made for me - that part is special.
  • DGK12
    DGK12 Posts: 117
    Options
    I'm going to burn mine while toasting the fire with a class of my favorite wine when the D papers are finally signed! Trust me; I've earned it :-)
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I am planning to wear it when my husband and I renew our vows, probably on our 30th anniversary in 2014 - although it may be a bit big by then!

I love this!
  • mycrazy8splus1
    Options
    Mine has survived multiple house moves and even a house fire. And now that I can fit into it again, I am planning to wear it when my husband and I renew our vows, probably on our 30th anniversary in 2014 - although it may be a bit big by then!

PS My Mum made my dress, so extra sentimental value there!

I love that idea! We have been married 18 years so I may need to wait a bit before we do a renewal ceremony but great idea! My mom made my dress too. I just can't get rid of it!
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    It's crumpled up on the floor of our closet where it's been since we got married.....3 years ago :laugh:
    Almost the same for me. It's hanging in it's bag, but I never had it cleaned......going on 10 years now.
    This is me. It's in my closet. My 10 year anniversary is coming up. I'm toying with the idea of dyeing it and cutting it short and wearing it on the cruise for our anniversary. I think I'll see how it fits in a few months and go from there.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Mine was a size 26 and I'm now in a size 20, but it's still in the back of the closet. I don't know what the heck to do with it!
  • jayhawkfan51
    jayhawkfan51 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Burned it. :laugh: :laugh:
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    My wife kept hers.
    It is in a box at the top of the closet.
    She is sure that Sydney will be able to wear it when she gets married.
    Of corse, my daughter will NEVER get married because all guys are scum.
    But I digress.
    It is boxed up in the dry cleaning box.
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Mine is in my closet in the bag. I have always meant to get it salvaged where they air tight it or something in a box. I never did it. Another thing I always meant to do is to take a photo of my kids every year in it to see them grow. Maybe I will still do that!!!(photo part).
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Stuck it in the back of my closet. Dig it out every now and then to try on. It's big on me now. :smile:
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I hung it in the garment bag after my wedding (8 years ago) and have not looked at it since. I wonder if I should donate it to someone or something.
    It is a size 16 so would be enormously huge on me now.
  • graceinbreath
    graceinbreath Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I still have mine - just realized I never had it cleaned or anything (ouch! - guess I should have done that!) - sidebar: is three years later too late to have it cleaned? When I lose 4 more pounds it will fit - then I will lose another 15 pounds and it wont fit at all. Might do a "trash the dress" photo shoot at that point (me, mud, a river and my gown = some awesome photos!) but I guess i will decide when I get to my goal weight!!!
  • mycrazy8splus1
    Options
    My wife kept hers.
    It is in a box at the top of the closet.
    She is sure that Sydney will be able to wear it when she gets married.
    Of corse, my daughter will NEVER get married because all guys are scum.
    But I digress.
    It is boxed up in the dry cleaning box.

spoken like a daddy! lol
  • Icelandic_Saga
    Icelandic_Saga Posts: 2,926 Member
    Options
    Mine has been in a box for more than 4 years... I'm half tempted to pull it out and see how huge it is on me now ;)
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    sold it, i was never going to wear it again thats for sure
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    If anyone is looking to donate their wedding dress and/or formal gowns PLEASE consider this project.
    It is such a worthy cause!

http://www.marymadelineproject.org/

The Mary Madeline Project is a non-profit organization that donates infant / baby burial gowns and blankets to local hospitals for bereaving parents. These gowns/blankets are made by volunteers from donated wedding dresses.