Hostess Brands closing....no more Twinkies!

Options

Replies

• Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    I say good. Let all the companies that use GMO grains and HFCS go under. We dont need to consume junk like this anyway.
    Yes at the expense of 187000 jobs

The union did it to their members...

If companies would stop hiring union employees this crap would stop happening

The root cause of this whole fiasco is mis-management at the Corporate level. Not the union. Even though Hostess isn't something I consume, I will not blame the union here at all.

This is Corporate GREED

I feel for the workers, but we don't need the junk food around.

I guess if you capitalize it, it makes it somehow worse??
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    good riddance

The government should have banned Twinkies years ago

Actually, it should ban the cows they get the cream for the Twinkies from! Milk is bad for you!!!!!!!!

I live on milk. They ban cows, I'll black market it. lol. I have never broken a bone and had very few cavities, and I'm clumsy, crazy, and eat lots of chocolate. I like to think its the milk. I think it does my body good. No matter what ppl want me to think.

The cow isn't to blame...is the crap hormones the food industry/government forces farmers to put in them to make them meatier so they can make more money. Fresh real milk, which no one has unless they're getting it from the utter themselves, is the only good milk.

You know, I've thought about trying raw milk, because it is readily available where I'm at (I'm extremely blessed to have access to a lot of farm fresh food), but I'm not so sure. I've heard horror stories about ... udder puss. :sick: I just can't get myself to give up pasteurization. I'm normally a big fan of natural and unadulterated.

Yes, we are going completely off topic. :tongue:

I agree, the idea of fresh milk scares me. I like eating healthier, but I like a happy medium. I do not really care if the milk is pasteurized or has hormones. I realize they say it can cause cancer. Everything these days does. I want to feel better inside, and be happy. Milk has not hurt me yet. When it does, then I'll stop. Until then, I love milk. And cows actually. Love me some steak.

Also, I do not believe in "banning" everything. Let ppl do what makes them happy, if its unhealthy, its their life. Why start with food banning if you were going to attack unhealthy things? Why not start with smokes (norm and green), drugs, pharmaceuticals, alcohols, sex, tv, video games, cell phones, cars, and even dirty dollar bills. So much we could attack.

Ever seen Demolition man (movie)?

"I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think; I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech and freedom of choice. I'm the kind of guy who likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecued ribs with the side order of gravy fries?" I WANT high cholesterol. I wanna eat bacon and butter and BUCKETS of cheese, okay? I want to smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section. I want to run through the streets naked with green Jell-o all over my body reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly might feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiener""

Dennis Leary win. :heart:

LMAO!! Ditto. Life is about choice and education. Everyone deserves the freedom to choose if they want a pile of cheese fries, with a pizza and then a big hot fudge sundae followed by a cigarette. By educating that this is not always the best choice is how we counteract poor health not by banning things. Not everyone that participates in bad things is in poor health or has a bad reaction to the activity and they should have the right to choose if they want to participate in that activity.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    That strike really backfired! Now you all don't have jobs! Unions = fail.

Corporate Greed = FAIL. Not unions. We are supposed to have that right to form unions in this country.

Yet another right that is going away.

Unions served their purpose. They can all go away now.

Yeah, the 5 day work week, 8 hour work days, Workers Comp.. safer work conditions... Things that the unions fought for that goventment put in place for the rest of the workers that didn't fight and sacrifice to make happen.

You may or may not believe that unions have their place but don't forget what they've done for workers everywhere.

(if this doesn't apply to your country, I'm sorry)
  • Marla64
    Options
    If you can call what the union was asking for greedy, then what the Corporate Officers did was criminal.

I can still put the shoe on the foot of someone that does work in those factories and see where they are coming from. They are seeing the Corporate officers of the company they work for give THEMSELVES huge raises while asking the people that do the actual work to take less.

You are incapable of differentiating between two possibly concurrent failures, aren't you? You simply cannot fathom that the execs could have done something stupid AND the union did something stupid. The execs gave themselves a raise, so then everything that follows is solely their fault, right?

Yes. Anytime a Corporate officer puts himself before all of his other employees - he / she is a sorry sack of *kitten*.

Karma is a b*tch and she will come back to bite them in the *kitten*.

If they knew they might have to file bankruptcy..............there should have never been a raise given to themselves. They are nothing but a bunch of GREEDY B@st@rds

Karma is female? Because "Karma is a *****?"

Then, so is "life," I guess.....as in, "Life's a *****...and then you die."

Again-- chuckling about the capitalized GREED-- :laugh: :laugh:
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    good riddance

Actually, it should ban the cows they get the cream for the Twinkies from! Milk is bad for you!!!!!!!!

I live on milk. They ban cows, I'll black market it. lol. I have never broken a bone and had very few cavities, and I'm clumsy, crazy, and eat lots of chocolate. I like to think its the milk. I think it does my body good. No matter what ppl want me to think.

The cow isn't to blame...is the crap hormones the food industry/government forces farmers to put in them to make them meatier so they can make more money. Fresh real milk, which no one has unless they're getting it from the utter themselves, is the only good milk.

You know, I've thought about trying raw milk, because it is readily available where I'm at (I'm extremely blessed to have access to a lot of farm fresh food), but I'm not so sure. I've heard horror stories about ... udder puss. :sick: I just can't get myself to give up pasteurization. I'm normally a big fan of natural and unadulterated.

I agree, the idea of fresh milk scares me. I like eating healthier, but I like a happy medium. I do not really care if the milk is pasteurized or has hormones. I realize they say it can cause cancer. Everything these days does. I want to feel better inside, and be happy. Milk has not hurt me yet. When it does, then I'll stop. Until then, I love milk. And cows actually. Love me some steak.

Also, I do not believe in "banning" everything. Let ppl do what makes them happy, if its unhealthy, its their life. Why start with food banning if you were going to attack unhealthy things? Why not start with smokes (norm and green), drugs, pharmaceuticals, alcohols, sex, tv, video games, cell phones, cars, and even dirty dollar bills. So much we could attack.

"I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think; I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech and freedom of choice. I'm the kind of guy who likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecued ribs with the side order of gravy fries?" I WANT high cholesterol. I wanna eat bacon and butter and BUCKETS of cheese, okay? I want to smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section. I want to run through the streets naked with green Jell-o all over my body reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly might feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiener""

LMAO!! Ditto. Life is about choice and education. Everyone deserves the freedom to choose if they want a pile of cheese fries, with a pizza and then a big hot fudge sundae followed by a cigarette. By educating that this is not always the best choice is how we counteract poor health not by banning things. Not everyone that participates in bad things is in poor health or has a bad reaction to the activity and they should have the right to choose if they want to participate in that activity.

AMEN! :smile: I made LOTS of bad choices, and oh WHAT FUN I had making them! Would I do it over again the same way? Oh ya. In life, we never stop learning until we stop living.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    lol how is this thread still open
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options

Mods must be sleeping.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of the twinkie, but I loved their other stuff growing up.

Just sad to see American companies going under and sorry for the jobs that will be lost..;..
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Corporate Greed = FAIL. Not unions. We are supposed to have that right to form unions in this country.

Yeah, the 5 day work week, 8 hour work days, Workers Comp.. safer work conditions... Things that the unions fought for that goventment put in place for the rest of the workers that didn't fight and sacrifice to make happen.

You may or may not believe that unions have their place but don't forget what they've done for workers everywhere.

The problem is that the unions have become counter-productive to their purpose.

I have avoided joining in on the unions debate for multiple reasons. I have seen the good and bad that come about because of unions.

My grandfather died from mesothilioma (sp?). The union sued on my grandmother's behalf and they garnered her a settlement that supported her for years after his death.

My father threatened to report his employer to the union in 1981. Mysteriously, he had an accident on the job which led to severe brain injury and eventually death. The state bureau of investigation was never able to dig up enough evidence that his "accident" was anything more than that.

My cousin is in a union and has been out of work for almost 2 years. Why? Because no one will hire union workers.

They did serve their purpose and do serve a purpose, but they are also a bit power hungry, and that overreaching of power has caused its impact too. In the long run, though, I think they are far less effective than they were 100 years ago.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    If you can call what the union was asking for greedy, then what the Corporate Officers did was criminal.

I can still put the shoe on the foot of someone that does work in those factories and see where they are coming from. They are seeing the Corporate officers of the company they work for give THEMSELVES huge raises while asking the people that do the actual work to take less.

You are incapable of differentiating between two possibly concurrent failures, aren't you? You simply cannot fathom that the execs could have done something stupid AND the union did something stupid. The execs gave themselves a raise, so then everything that follows is solely their fault, right?

Yes. Anytime a Corporate officer puts himself before all of his other employees - he / she is a sorry sack of *kitten*.

Karma is a b*tch and she will come back to bite them in the *kitten*.

If they knew they might have to file bankruptcy..............there should have never been a raise given to themselves. They are nothing but a bunch of GREEDY B@st@rds

It seems clear enough that you are overly emotional and irrational in your views on corporations and unions.

Thank you for reaffirming the value of critical thinking. I'll let someone else play with you now.
  • Marla64
    Options

Mods must be sleeping.

Woooh-- good, then let's talk about politics......or religion...yeah. Religion....no-- no-- race....

or all three.....

How 'bout this..... I didn't vote for Obama because he is a black, muslim Democrat--

(just kidding.... !!!!!!!!!)

commencing lock in 3....2....1
  • kmcgrath1
    kmcgrath1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Won't break my heart. I've never even eaten a Twinkie before.

Wha-what-what?! Get your butt to the store and have one! Make it a part of your cheat day. You will not be sorry.

Gross, she isnt missing anything.

I've never tried one either, don't care too. I'm more of a chocoholic. LOL
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

There was indeed a time when unions fulfilled a critical social purpose.

That time is long past.
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    Man, I think the problem with this is that the execs saying 'it's hard to make a profit with the current pay for workers and benefits,' really means 'Each of us only made 500,000 last year and we really want 750k, so we're cutting costs to get that.'

They cry about profits like they're making nothing, but if they didn't take so much salary for themselves, there'd be more to go into the company.

I kind of want to go camp out at Walmart and see if the snack aisle is being stormed, though .
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It seems clear enough that you are overly emotional and irrational in your views on corporations and unions.

Thank you for reaffirming the value of critical thinking. I'll let someone else play with you now.

It's her natural state. It isn't even worth engaging her in conversation unless you are prepared to agree 100% with everything she says.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    good riddance

AMEN! :smile: I made LOTS of bad choices, and oh WHAT FUN I had making them! Would I do it over again the same way? Oh ya. In life, we never stop learning until we stop living.

Yes, I choose to eat as healthy as I can, but sometimes I choose to splurge and be bad. I think I can manage my food choices. :happy: I just think it's really sad when we have an obesity problem but the market is flooded with stuff like Hostess because farm subsidies make it so cheap to produce. If we want our weight problem to go away, things like cucumbers and lettuce should be the cheaper options, not Twinkies.
  • DevoteeofIset
    DevoteeofIset Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I just feel bad for the workers losing their jobs.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I loved Twinkies as a kid and if someone put one in front of me today I might be tempted. It's no loss, if Twinkies genuinely will be no more.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Going to buy lots. Put in freezer. Remove in about a year or year and a half, sell on eBay.

It may not be the Underpants Gnomes' 3-step plan, but I see mad profits about 18 months from now...
  • aliceb39
    aliceb39 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    They used to have chocolate-covered Twinkies, called Choc-o-diles - YUM! Twinkies used to be really good when the cream in the center was different. But the cream tastes funny now, so I don't buy them anymore. Little Debbie cakes take their place, but they're a once or twice a year treat.

Like at least one previous poster said, someone is sure to buy the recipe if not the company, just like Keebler makes Mother's Cookies now.