Hostess Brands closing....no more Twinkies!

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

It would be helpful if they could ban the sun--it causes skin cancer!

Yes, why hasn't the government banned cancer yet? Everyone knows that making something illegal makes it disappear. :laugh:

Exactly! Look at all the success we've had with the War on Drugs!

And the war on poverty! There aren't any more poor people, dontcha know?

Don't forget the war on terrorism!

And the war on illiteracy!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Man, I think the problem with this is that the execs saying 'it's hard to make a profit with the current pay for workers and benefits,' really means 'Each of us only made 500,000 last year and we really want 750k, so we're cutting costs to get that.'

They cry about profits like they're making nothing, but if they didn't take so much salary for themselves, there'd be more to go into the company.

I kind of want to go camp out at Walmart and see if the snack aisle is being stormed, though .

Why do people ALWAYS assume that the ONLY expense to operating a business is labor?

I mean, EVERYTHING has gone up! Gas prices, food prices, packaging prices, and then on top of those expenses, health insurance rates have gone up. Sure, there are CEO's making lots more money than the people at the bottom, but these are also the same people that you want to tax at 40% of their income. You can't have it both ways! You can't expect the CEO's to pay incomes, health benefits, AND pay taxes to support people that aren't even on their payroll too.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    If you can call what the union was asking for greedy, then what the Corporate Officers did was criminal.

I can still put the shoe on the foot of someone that does work in those factories and see where they are coming from. They are seeing the Corporate officers of the company they work for give THEMSELVES huge raises while asking the people that do the actual work to take less.

You are incapable of differentiating between two possibly concurrent failures, aren't you? You simply cannot fathom that the execs could have done something stupid AND the union did something stupid. The execs gave themselves a raise, so then everything that follows is solely their fault, right?

Yes. Anytime a Corporate officer puts himself before all of his other employees - he / she is a sorry sack of *kitten*.

Karma is a b*tch and she will come back to bite them in the *kitten*.

If they knew they might have to file bankruptcy..............there should have never been a raise given to themselves. They are nothing but a bunch of GREEDY B@st@rds

It seems clear enough that you are overly emotional and irrational in your views on corporations and unions.

Thank you for reaffirming the value of critical thinking. I'll let someone else play with you now.

I am a critical thinker. It is necessary for my career. I don't hide the fact that I don't like Corporations, even though I am a Corporate Employee.

I don't fit into their selfish agendas and politics they play.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Yes, why hasn't the government banned cancer yet? Everyone knows that making something illegal makes it disappear. :laugh:

I can't tell if I'm laughing... or crying.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I am a critical thinker. It is necessary for my career.

Thank gawd you're in a union.

(To protect you from being fired for incompetency.)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    It seems clear enough that you are overly emotional and irrational in your views on corporations and unions.

Thank you for reaffirming the value of critical thinking. I'll let someone else play with you now.

It's her natural state. It isn't even worth engaging her in conversation unless you are prepared to agree 100% with everything she says.

Yes, I will fight to the end for my beliefs and opinions. I have just as much a right to my beliefes as anyone else here.

Agree to disagree and keep it moving.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

I am not in a union. I am a Corporate I.T. Manager.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Well I have mixed feelings about 18,000 people losing their jobs and unfortunately Americans love junk food.

Herb
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Man, I think the problem with this is that the execs saying 'it's hard to make a profit with the current pay for workers and benefits,' really means 'Each of us only made 500,000 last year and we really want 750k, so we're cutting costs to get that.'

They cry about profits like they're making nothing, but if they didn't take so much salary for themselves, there'd be more to go into the company.

I kind of want to go camp out at Walmart and see if the snack aisle is being stormed, though .

Why do people ALWAYS assume that the ONLY expense to operating a business is labor?

I mean, EVERYTHING has gone up! Gas prices, food prices, packaging prices, and then on top of those expenses, health insurance rates have gone up. Sure, there are CEO's making lots more money than the people at the bottom, but these are also the same people that you want to tax at 40% of their income. You can't have it both ways! You can't expect the CEO's to pay incomes, health benefits, AND pay taxes to support people that aren't even on their payroll too.

Because most people have never run a business or even taken classes in accounting or business management. :laugh:

Inflation is killing us. There is no blame there except the Federal Reserve, which dictates our monetary policy and was put in place to allow our nation to be able to run up a huge debt that we can no longer even pay the interest on.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I can't tell if I'm laughing... or crying.

No doubt! We could do this all day! I always say that I have to laugh about it to keep from crying.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

It's her natural state. It isn't even worth engaging her in conversation unless you are prepared to agree 100% with everything she says.

Yes, I will fight to the end for my beliefs and opinions. I have just as much a right to my beliefes as anyone else here.

Agree to disagree and keep it moving.

Yep. Your insistence that your way is the only way is certainly worth the aggravation you seem to feel on a regular basis.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    They used to have chocolate-covered Twinkies, called Choc-o-diles - YUM! Twinkies used to be really good when the cream in the center was different. But the cream tastes funny now, so I don't buy them anymore. Little Debbie cakes take their place, but they're a once or twice a year treat

Mmmm, choco-o-diles. When I was visiting my brother in Louisiana a couple years ago, I mentioned them. He'd never heard of them but wanted to try one, so we went all over looking for them. Never found any. When I got back to CA, I found out they only make them on the west coast. So when we were in Sacramento visiting family earlier this year, we went to a Hostess outlet store and found them. He liked them so much he bought 3 boxes to take back to LA with him. :laugh:
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    Well there goes my zombie survival plans...
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Unless you are in Canada... Canada is still producing Twinkies.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Twinkies are super disgusting processed trans fat laden chunks of puke!!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Unless you are in Canada... Canada is still producing Twinkies.

Cheap perscription drugs and twinkies. Gotta love america's hat.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Twinkies - rarely eat them, love em when I do. But they are a junk food institution. Hope new company keeps them. We gotta have some junk food to love.

I will not get on my political soap box, I will not get on my political soap box, I will not get on my political soap box
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I better go buy out all the twinkie's at my nearest grocery store. :bigsmile:
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    How will we ever survive the zombie apocalypse now?

This was my first thought, too. We are doomed now. What will we eat as we cower in the back of half-looted convenience stores waiting for the throng of living corpses to shuffle down the street out of sight? The shuffle slowly and we could be in th back of that store awhile.