Do you think milk is safe?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Try raw, grass-fed milk from a local dairy farmer.

I don't think I'd drink raw milk unless I was raising the cow myself, and even then I'd think twice. The number of disease that can be passed cow-to-human through milk is staggering, and most of them are really bad ways to go. That doesn't mean you have to drink ultra-pasteurized milk that's pretty much just done for store shelf-life purposes; a lower-temperature pasteurization will still kill off tuberculosis, brucellosis, diptheria...

If you do go for raw milk, ask your local farmer a lot of questions about the health of the cows and the conditions they (and the milk!) are kept in. This is one of those cases where poor cleanliness can kill you.

I would totally go for raw milk if it were an option. It seems to me that these farmers are the small, family farms that call their cows by name. (My uncle used to do that.) I am much more concerned with large, factory farms than the smaller ones. But alas, it's not an option for me. It isn't an option for most people. In some places it's a grey market, and in others, it's a black market.

I used to have a good hook-up on goat's milk, which is also super-yummy. (especially chocolate!) But that guy moved his family and his goats way out of town, so it's too far to make it worth it anymore. :ohwell:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Actually, it is a common misconception that cow's milk, as it comes from the cow, is full of fat. Whole milk, 2%, and 1% all have added fat. Nonfat milk has no added fat.

...where does butter come from?

Butter is a milk product. Keep in mind that I didn't say that cow's milk did not have fat. What I said was that anything that is not nonfat/skim milk has added fat.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    so the fat in milk is healthy?

http://caloriecount.about.com/saturated-fat-facts-nf606

Tell me more about how healthy saturated fat is.

Saturated fat is healthy. :bigsmile:

It's best to have a mix of various fats, in order to get all the amino acids your body needs.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    lactose intolerance stats

Lactose Intolerant Statistics
    Total percentage of people who are lactose intolerant 33%
    Total percentage of adults that have a decrease in lactase activity 75%
    Total percentage of people who maintain ability to digest lactose after childhood 40%
    Total number of Americans who are lactose intolerant 40 million
    Total percent of all African-American, Jewish, Mexican-American, and Native American Adults who are lactose intolerant 75%
    Total percent of Asian-Americans that are lactose intolerant 90%
    Average amount of time it takes for side effects of lactose intolerance to occur after intake 30 min

As you can see only about 40% of people don't have lactose intolerance.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/lactose-intolerance-statistics/

Lies lies and damed statistics. They are very one sided. There are reasons for some of those outside of diet as far as I am aware, especially the asian.

This is why people are reluctant to post stats here, no one believes them when you do so why the hell do they even ask? I could post definative proof of something and just because someone doesn't like the truth they'd say it's wrong.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/science/2009-08-30-lactose-intolerance_N.htm
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    We're the only species that drinks another animal's milk

My cat drinks cows milk.

Not naturally (in the wild - part of an animals natural diet) -- your cat drinks it because you give it to him/her. And BTW, most vets would suggest you stop.

Milk4.jpg

The tile floor in this pic leads me to believe that these rats are not in the wild....

Hmmm... I would be surprised if it were found that these are pets. I can't believe someone would have that many mice as pets. But who knows with an internet picture. :laugh:
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

It's best to have a mix of various fats, in order to get all the amino acids your body needs.

If saturated fat is so healthy where are there no daily recommendations of it?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Are you suggesting that science is complete? And that the proposed RDA's are an absolute for every individual? Or that they aren't already merely estimates?

Wikipedia isn't my favorite of sources, but just for quick reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_content_of_milk

The fat content that occurs naturally in milk is generally removed to make other products. But the milk that you purchase in the store has fat added back to it to give it flavor. That fat serves no other purpose. Skim (nonfat) milk does not have any fat added back to it.
  • melanogaster
    Options
    Butter is a milk product. Keep in mind that I didn't say that cow's milk did not have fat. What I said was that anything that is not nonfat/skim milk has added fat.

That's only because they skim -all- the milk and then add some of the cream (fat) back, before they homogenize it. Otherwise it would be nearly much more difficult to tell if milk was 2%, given the variability of milk fat percentages naturally. All the milk comes in to the processing plant, aggregated from many different farms with many different cows, and it all goes through one processing line to be pasteurized. It's all skimmed, and the cream is used to make cream and butter, and then portions of it are returned to the whole milk and 2% milk before mechanically homogenizing them and bottling them.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

Are you suggesting that science is complete? And that the proposed RDA's are an absolute for every individual? Or that they aren't already merely estimates?

The fat content that occurs naturally in milk is generally removed to make other products. But the milk that you purchase in the store has fat added back to it to give it flavor. That fat serves no other purpose. Skim (nonfat) milk does not have any fat added back to it.

Oh big surprise. I actually post a source and people don't believe it because the notion that milk is not healthy is so foreign and scary.

As for skim, you get a higher concentration of casein, a common allergen if you aren't having more fat in there.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Total percentage of people who maintain ability to digest lactose after childhood 40%
    Total percent of all African-American, Jewish, Mexican-American, and Native American Adults who are lactose intolerant 75%
    Average amount of time it takes for side effects of lactose intolerance to occur after intake 30 min

Lies lies and damed statistics. They are very one sided. There are reasons for some of those outside of diet as far as I am aware, especially the asian.

This is why people are reluctant to post stats here, no one believes them when you do so why the hell do they even ask? I could post definative proof of something and just because someone doesn't like the truth they'd say it's wrong.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/science/2009-08-30-lactose-intolerance_N.htm

No study is definitive proof until the study has been recreated multiple times. Nothing is accepted as fact until the results are reproduced many times over.
  • Rebane1
    Rebane1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The milk that is brought from farms to factories are all with different fat levels. But we expect to see a certain percentaince of fat in our dairy products. It would be very difficult to remove a different part of fat each time. So the fat is removed from the milk and then a certain amount of the very same fat is put back in to skimmed milk. The technology is working like that.

There is huge variety of fatty acids in milk - something like 400 different.... About saturated fat. Yes. Milk contain saturated fat but when talking about fatty acids you should also mention the carbon chain length. Milk contains easily digested short chain fatty acids that happen to be saturated. Approximately 30% of fatty acids is C16:0 that can be considered as 'bad' but you can get much more from your nice slice of bacon at breakfast. Milk contains also CLA, omega fatty acids etc etc etc. Also dreaded trans fatty acids but they are natural and not in the gang of bad guys that are made in factories from cheap vegetable oils. BTW CLA is also trans.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Oh big surprise. I actually post a source and people don't believe it because the notion that milk is not healthy is so foreign and scary.

As for skim, you get a higher concentration of casein, a common allergen if you aren't having more fat in there.

Milk is not good for people with allergies and intolerances. That is a given. But that doesn't mean it is not healthy for those who are not allergic or intolerant. I have better things to do today. The information is out there. If you choose to ignore it, distort it, or remain closed-minded in your views, then that is your choice. Avoid milk all you choose. But the studies that you are basing your beliefs on cannot be repeated, have not been repeated, and cannot be accepted as general fact until they are. You really should learn more about statistical research as a whole, and then research the topic from a less biased standpoint.

Have a good day.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

Most people tend to dismiss studies and statistics because it's so easy to present them out of context and misinterpret the results. And really the purpose of research isn't to prove anything. It is to either disprove a hypothesis or suggest other areas of research.
  • tooliebell
    tooliebell Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    All of our livestock are injected with hormones and antibiotics. I don't think this is safe, and prefer to drink organic milk, almond milk, or rice milk instead. I wish I could afford organic meats, but not at this point.

Two thirds of humans are lactose intolerant (the percentage is much larger if you look at middle eastern, african, and asian populations as opposed to people of European descent). Furthermore, humans are the only species that consume milk past infancy. So the idea that it is an essential part of a mammalian diet is ridiculous.

As a proud dairy producer, I can attest to the fact that not ALL livestock are injected with hormones and antibotics. Actually it's these statements that drive me mad because you can't blanket all things together in any manner. There are a good many dairy producers out there that take great care of their animals to produce a product that is safe for your families to drink. So please don't use the phrase ALL when you obviously don't know what you are talking about.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co.uk/2011/01/does-dietary-saturated-fat-increase.html

We can quote rubbish off the internet all day.

I actually saw one study quoted on here the other day that showed a greater increase in the blood cholesterol of subjects on a low-fat diet. People who consumed a range of fats actually had lower cholesterol - so what's your point?

Dietary science is - how shall I put this diplomatically? - extremely iffy.... there are a handful of conflicting studies, that were done under limited scope which have now become the basis for 99% of crap talked on the internet. Just ignore them and get on with living your life.....

Want some real advice? Eat a balanced diet (that includes fats), exercise well and eat at a slight calorific deficit and you'll lose weight and like the body/internal organs you're left with after you're done. There's no real magic involved!
  • Dawn3218
    Options
    9ba0992f.jpg

LOL - deserves 'best post' award on this thread :bigsmile:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I feel sorry for anyone who trusts the U.S. Government, especially when it comes to health. Science is politically incorrect, ergo, public policy often contradicts science.
  • Rebane1
    Rebane1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    And why do you assume that all people here are from US and refer to the science done only in US?

BTW you should be more proud at the scientists over there. They have done awesome job!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

I feel sorry for anyone who trusts the U.S. Government, especially when it comes to health. Science is politically incorrect, ergo, public policy often contradicts science.

This is one of those areas where a little bit of truth can be dangerous. The push by the government and many doctors is to try in steer people in the right direction because many people will hold onto a little information and run with it to an unintended degree. There is evidence that humans do need some saturated fat in their diet but most Americans get way too much.