Do you think milk is safe?

Options

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Of the many misconceptions in this thread, the most repeated and dangerous is that additional hormones (rBGH) is the source of the problem regarding the hormone content in milk. That's an additional factor. However, what studies show is that the conditions of modern milk production, the constant milking and continual pregnancy of cows, significantly raises the levels of estrogen and progesterone in milk, at a rate of about 300 times over that found in milk from non-pregnant cows. That includes organic milk.

This does not have zero consequences. People should be informed.

What are those consequences? - it has not been shown from what I can see.

Should it be studied more?...yes.

Well for starters, higher levels of estrogen, progesterone, and GH and IGH in the bloodstream. People should be able to make an informed choice about that for themselves and their dependents.

Sorry, you must have missed my point - what impact does drinking milk have on our health, based on the findings of these studies that you cited, specifically? Does that outweigh the benefits (some of which were noted in the studies you mentioned)?

And I am not saying that this information is not interesting or should be suppressed - I have continually agreed that more studies should be done.

ETA: these higher hormones were NOT found in skim milk when compared to non-mass produced milks. So, if anyone is worried about this specific issue, buy skim or non-mass produced milk.

or you could just not buy any milk? js..
  • shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Do I think milk is safe? Well. I probably would not drink in while I was juggling knives riding on my unicycle down the middle of the highway but I will take my chances with a glass at dinner but I'm a bit of dare devil. haha
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Of the many misconceptions in this thread, the most repeated and dangerous is that additional hormones (rBGH) is the source of the problem regarding the hormone content in milk. That's an additional factor. However, what studies show is that the conditions of modern milk production, the constant milking and continual pregnancy of cows, significantly raises the levels of estrogen and progesterone in milk, at a rate of about 300 times over that found in milk from non-pregnant cows. That includes organic milk.

This does not have zero consequences. People should be informed.

What are those consequences? - it has not been shown from what I can see.

Should it be studied more?...yes.

Well for starters, higher levels of estrogen, progesterone, and GH and IGH in the bloodstream. People should be able to make an informed choice about that for themselves and their dependents.

Sorry, you must have missed my point - what impact does drinking milk have on our health, based on the findings of these studies that you cited, specifically? Does that outweigh the benefits (some of which were noted in the studies you mentioned)?

And I am not saying that this information is not interesting or should be suppressed - I have continually agreed that more studies should be done.

ETA: these higher hormones were NOT found in skim milk when compared to non-mass produced milks. So, if anyone is worried about this specific issue, buy skim or non-mass produced milk.

That is an alternative, but I personally like my lattes, ice-cream, greek yogurt, whey protein and cheese. Plus, milk has been shown to be beneficial to LBM and bone density, among other things, in women that strength train. I think I will take my chances,
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Maybe YOU could.

Edited for emphasis.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

Maybe YOU could.

Edited for emphasis.

OOooOooOo clearly I don't.

No one is making you buy milk unless I missed some new law or something.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    I went to a church dinner last night and sat at a table where the discussion was cows milk and how damaging it is. How it possibly causes cancer and should not be consumed by humans. How it's injected with cancer causing hormones. I had never heard any of this. The thing is...I like milk. I'm not intolerant of it and it's a good source of calcium and vitamin D for me (especially in the rainy Pacific NW) But I don't exactly want cancer either. What are your thoughts? Do you think milk is safe? What about cheese? (gosh I love cheese!)

I wouldnt worry too much about it. People these days think everything causes cancer.
  • gslowry
    gslowry Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a retired teacher(34 yrs) and have been reading "The China Study", a huge study on nutrition involving millions of chinese people. In a nutshell,dairy and meat products are the bain of the western diet. They cause cancer,diabetes,heart disease and other diseases. We are primates. We do not eat meat and dairy. When we are weaned we should not eat dairy(milk) any more. Read:authors:Dr Fuhrman,Dr. Colin Campbell. To answer your question,milk is safe if is pasteurized but if they give hormones or antibiotics to cattle it is in the milk.
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Well, the operative word was "possibly". I am not an expert or an authority on the subject, but I think we are ok.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Maybe YOU could.

Edited for emphasis.

OOooOooOo clearly I don't.

No one is making you buy milk unless I missed some new law or something.
    Well, stealing it is frowned upon so yes, yes I do have to buy it.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Milk=danger. Got it. Tequila and cereal, please.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Milk=danger. Got it. Tequila and cereal, please.
    I like the cut of your jib.
  • joslin2005
    Options
    Think about this.... How many people do you know that drink milk or eat dairy products? If I was to guess, almost everyone you know probably know eats or drink's cow's milk. Ok, do all those people who drink or eat dairy products have cancer???

Drinking cows milk can be traced back to about 7,500 years ago. I'll let you come to your own conclusion on that one.

Honestly, I don't think it's the actual cow's milk that is linked to cancer, it's what is done to the cow and the milk that is linked to cancer.
  • Rhia55
    Rhia55 Posts: 247
    Options
    "I wish I'd had that glass of chocolate milk this morning" thought just before the truck hits me...
  • SueGremlin
    Options
    We do not eat meat and dairy.
    You may not but I sure do.
    To answer your question,milk is safe if is pasteurized but if they give hormones or antibiotics to cattle it is in the milk.
    This is a complete falsehood which is commonly perpetuated here. I cannot be any clearer than this: It is not true that milk contains antibiotics and extraneous hormones.

It is just. Not. True.
  • SueGremlin
    Options
    Crap. Now I am craving cheese. THANKS A LOT.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Milk is not safe. Studies show the cassein is linked to cancer in animals as well as all the other problems. But it's also very difficult to eliminate milk from the diet. I do Soy and Almond milk, but I still have cheese and other dairy occasionally. I suppose that's better than nothing. Want to know who came up with the idea that we should drink milk everyday and give it to our children? Housewives in the 1950s. Milk does NOT do a body good.
    You mean housewives 10,000 years ago, right? Because we've been drinking cow's milk daily for thousands of years. If you're going to talk about a subject, it's always a good idea to actually learn about it first, rather than just make stuff up.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Milk is not safe. Studies show the cassein is linked to cancer in animals as well as all the other problems. But it's also very difficult to eliminate milk from the diet. I do Soy and Almond milk, but I still have cheese and other dairy occasionally. I suppose that's better than nothing. Want to know who came up with the idea that we should drink milk everyday and give it to our children? Housewives in the 1950s. Milk does NOT do a body good.

"studies" also show that soy milk is linked to breast cancer and decrease of sperm count
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I think it's all bull****. A lot of people want to jump onto the Forks Over Knives China Study wagon, but there's a lot of evidence to show that those studies aren't necessary the most reliable. People have been drinking milk for thousands of years, and there's nothing to really suggest that hormones and the like end up in milk. Many major dairies don't even give their cows hormones anymore anyway.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt drink milk its total poison forced upon baby mammals by this evolution industry for the last 200 million years. Don't drink it you will drop dead immediately!
  • Ibelievenme2
    Ibelievenme2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    One of the response ask what does church have to do with milk? If they would read again they would see you were just stating where the conversation took place. Yes I eat cheese and milk. Just like everything from a full meal to a candy bar I ask God to blessed this food and not allow any harmful chemicals or addicts harm my body and then I give him thanks. Just like certain drinks I keep hearing about added items that can do harm. I eased myself off drinks. I have 1-3 a month. I am not stupid, but when you are coming up and eating junk food you don't ask questions. Now that I know some stories are true I am trying to correct what I eat. It is a huge struggle. Look around us companies are adding things for shelf life. You can buy organic, but there are articles that says there are still things added to it, just not as much. If you don't raise it or grow it you don't know what is in your food. Next year we will have a garden, but I draw the line at raising a cow. Good luck.