Replies

• classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Very wrong!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Your mom is both wrong and right. Being that you're 24 years old, it shouldn't be a tremendous problem...hard work and dedication yes, but it's absolutely doable...you're only a handful of years removed from your previous weight and clothing size; to boot, at your age, you're really in your prime so it would be a good time to get started on your quest.

I'm sure what your mom is refering to is that it gets harder the older you get and it takes a lot more time and dedication. The older you get, the more work you have to do to lose weight and maintain a healthy weight. If you were in your 40s or 50s, I'd proably tell you, "good luck" and be on my way...probably wouldn't happen. People's bodies change a lot over time, even when they're fit and at healthy weights. I'm 38 and I seriously doubt that I could ever have the same body or same level of fitness that I had when I was 20. For one thing, when I was 20 I was a U.S. Marine; I was basically paid to train and work out 24/7...my goal is to get down to around 175Lb (only 23.8 Lbs to go) which was my "happiest" weight, but still 10-15 Lbs more than I weighed when I was a Marine. At my age, and given that I also can't dedicate hours on end to exercise, reaching my weight and level of fitness at 20 would be a completely unreasonable goal.

Now, something you should think about...if you're serious, now is a great time to start. As I stated earlier, you're pretty much in your "prime" right now in regards to your body's natural abilities. It will be much easier to start now than to wait...you'll have to work that much harder later on to achieve the same goals. I noticed a serious decline in my metabolism, etc after 30...then again after 35...now I'm busting my *kitten*!

Like most people, I was always "too busy"..."not a good time"...and any number of other excuses. It was always a, "I'll cross that bridge when I get there" kind of thing...but that bridge never got there, I had to go to it. In RE to finding the time to exercise and the motivation to make good decisions in RE to what you're putting in your body...there is no magic that happens...nobody wakes up one day and says, "hey...I have all this time on my hands, think I'll start working out." The fact is that nobody has the time...life only gets busier and busier which is why diet and exercise require substantial dedication and hard work. Just remember that all of that time you're spending getting fit is just one step closer to your goal...every sack lunch and healthy snack you pack is another step closer...step by step, one day at a time.
  • 69ssrs
    Options
    Mom is wrong. I am 57 years old and have lost 28lbs this year to date. 22lbs since I started My Fitness Pal. Main thing is I have lost 4 pant sizes already and counting.