Thanksgiving Help....dreading the Food Pushers!

Options

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Although I'm sure this has been driven in to the ground (and I didn't read a single reply), my advice is to enjoy the holiday. Have smaller portions of everything and don't be "that guy" about your diet. You're supposed to be having a nice time, enjoying the family you are thankful for.
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    i sympathize with people who can't do the FREE DAY thing.. i used to be a train wreck.. if i heard the words free day i could consume unto 5000 calories and then just give up because i hated myself... there are many ppl like that... it's a real illness so many ppl just don't understand.. i plan on at least staying on a 2000 calorie diet... eating like a normal human being and not a gluttonous pig.. that's my plan.
  • Mickeyriv
    Mickeyriv Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This is a great question and one that I have been struggling with myself.

I have been super-open and transparent with my efforts at improving my lifestyle and my struggles with food addiction and compulsive overeating. I have recently started saying, out loud, "I'm a compulsive over-eater." It's not easy to say!

But it is helping me when I am confronted by a food-pusher (I love that term!). I can say, "wow, that looks wonderful! I'd love to have some, but I am a compulsive over-eater. I'm like an alcoholic, but with food. I haven't had a binge in more than 2 months, and I know that if I eat that it will trigger a binge."

I have found that equating my choice to not eat something to an alcoholic declining a drink helps frame my choice so that feelings are not hurt.

Good luck with your mom... Moms are tough sell, no matter what you do. :)

THIS. If this is true for you, it's excellent advice.
    Then again, if you know that you can control yourself & your portion sizes, and eating the meal won't lead to a binge or to you feeling guilty, then take the other main response - enjoy in moderation.

Either way, try to have good time with friends and family, and enjoy the holiday!
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving comes once a year! Just limit yourself! Don't have 6 plates. Have one or two.

I know i for one will be walking that evening.. But tomorrow is what im worried about, all the wome. Are getting together and making all the pies and the men are frying a turkey..
    Then the next day we have ham and all that other stuff for Thanksgiving...
  • sahm23ladies
    sahm23ladies Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If there are small children invited you could offer to help with them - they will keep you so busy that you don't have as much time to eat, and in my experience they usually want to leave the table early, so you can go and play with them in another room!

Fabulous Idea!!!
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Your mom probably worked really hard on those dishes, you should sample them at least! Going over your calorie limit will not kill you, it's ONE day
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Let me just say that life is too short to stress over food.2 years ago my 16 year old son Casey begged me, I mean begged me to go to Cold Stone Creamery with him and I refused because I was watching my calories. Less than a month later he passed away in a car accident. What I would give for another chance to take him up on that offer. I would just hit the gym a little harder afterwards.

Oh wow. That's so scary. :frown:

That gives me reason for pause. I'm going to do my best to enjoy Thanksgiving without worrying about calorie content (it is, after all, one day), but that really made me think it would be okay.

Thank you so much for sharing that.
  • alderman59
    alderman59 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Don't be "grazing" around the appetizers. Also eat an apple or bannana just before you go so you aren't so hungry. Have on plate and don't heap it up. For dessert bring some good tea, coffee or whatever you like to drink. You can still have a dessert. Limit it to 1/2 of serving and then go for a walk or go help with kitchen clean-up. It isn't their choices that have put on the pounds, it is yours, so make them wisely. The feeling you will have of superiority when you succeed will be worth all the effort.
  • kimcalica
    Options
    im guessing that was for me... it is rough that nobody outside of the special needs community knows what prader will syndrome is.. awareness is nonexistent because it's so rare but, yes.. holidays are hard for us... keeping our kids away from the food..

i recall one horrible story about one kid that did so great his whole life.. he was thin and in great shape and one day, he got ahold of some money and his friends let him eat whatever he wanted. he ate 6 hamburgers and ruptured his stomach and died. totally tragic.. if left alone they'll eat themselves to death. my son will never be able to live independently no matter h0w intelligent he is..

That is so heartbreaking. I am surprised this isn't talked about more often.
    there are just too many chromosomal disorders and special needs that are completely unknown to the world.. Unless we or our loved ones suffer from them, we just go about on our marry way living our lives happily in ignorance.. must be nice.. lol
  • janehlansing
    Options
    Your mother and the rest of your family have nothing to do with the pact youve made with your body.

Actually it does. I know it shouldn't effect me but it does, as it does with the op. I hate it when my fil who is bone thin... says "didn't you eat?" and everyone looks at me like I should get another plate, like I have insulted his effort.

I like the compulsive overeater comment, but my husband's family is full of alcoholics... I will just have to stick with my mil eat lightly.

Jane
  • kimcalica
    Options
    i love how people on this thread keep posting the same **** over and over because they don't read any of the first pages.. they just want to see their opinions splattered up on the page.
  • sahm23ladies
    sahm23ladies Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I think the problem of turning down your mother's dishes is not only guilt but then the snowball effect. I know for me, as long as I don't have a cookie even if the jar is full, I'm fine. Once I have one cookie, I have another and another. Portion control is way hard for some people. You have to know your triggers. I didn't want all that junk this year. Not to mention the hours of prep, cooking and running around all to devour it in 20 mins, to then have another few hours for clean up. We're having a non-traditional thanksgiving this year so I can have a better chance at not gorging on mashed potatoes and stuffing.

On the flip side, you only live once! No one said you have to go bonkers! Drink plenty of water, eat toward your carb... veggies first, then protein, then carb so you are full on mostly good stuff first.

Good luck!
  • kimcalica
    Options
    I think the problem of turning down your mother's dishes is not only guilt but then the snowball effect. I know for me, as long as I don't have a cookie even if the jar is full, I'm fine. Once I have one cookie, I have another and another. Portion control is way hard for some people. You have to know your triggers. I didn't want all that junk this year. Not to mention the hours of prep, cooking and running around all to devour it in 20 mins, to then have another few hours for clean up. We're having a non-traditional thanksgiving this year so I can have a better chance at not gorging on mashed potatoes and stuffing.

On the flip side, you only live once! No one said you have to go bonkers! Drink plenty of water, eat toward your carb... veggies first, then protein, then carb so you are full on mostly good stuff first.

Good luck!

i love this!
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    To be honest, for me during holidays, it's just about portion control....I try tiny bits of bad but tasty stuff and fill up as much as possible on salads, veg and lean meat. Like normal, just with more temptation haha. That way no one gets offended. Thankfully I can also take a lot of it to work (cakes etc) because other people really gobble it up fast there!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Any advice? How do you handle the food pushers in your life? Especially ones that are family and you don't want to hurt their feelings.

Intermittent Fasting is your answer. Their Thanksgiving dinner is your breakfast.
  • 87mla
    87mla Posts: 1
    Options
    i agree.
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    FREE day... I look back on all the times that I've tried to keep in weight standards or this diet or that one, and all the wonderful food I've missed.. you should just enjoy yourself in moderation, be thankful that you have good food and company this year, and press on with your schedule/routine on friday, one day won't kill you, just don't over do it.

as for the rest of it..small portions, make one plate, eat slow. but still enjoy yourself some, you've worked hard, and earned it

I agree. One of the biggest mistakes I have made in all my years of dieting is to forbid myself to have a certain food(s) or heaven forbid cheat for a day. Depriving yourself of a food or food day sets you up for failure. I am not saying to eat, eat, eat or to eat a whole pie, just do some portion control but treat yourself to a day of good food, good friends and family and a loving tradition.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is always hard because it revolves around food. But it is one day I feel that if you need to go off for a day, it won't kill you. I was going to plan to record on Thanksgiving, but I'm second guessing it. My boyfriend's family is coming over and they're bringing a lot of filipino foods.

Dating a Filipino while trying to lose weight sucks. Their family wants you to eat whether or not you already ate. I found holding a plate with food and slowly eating off it stops them from continually piling on food.

I hope you find what works for you.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I can think of no question where bringing a Lean Cuisine box "meal" is the correct answer.

What is "pissing off the family who made the real meal, loading your body with sodium and preservatives, and staying hungry immediately after eating"?
  • Yolanda4160
    Yolanda4160 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Wow!! This is a lifestyle change, not a diet, and one day of indulgence and enjoyment will not de rail the whole process. I would be OFFENDED if I had prepared a Thanksgiving feast and someone brought a Lean Cuisine. Don't do that!! Talk to your hostess and plan a couple of healthy choices together. Get a good work out in, take a little of your favorites, fill up on veggies, and enjoy the company. Talk a lot--you won't have time to put food in your mouth!! Sheesh, people. This is a holiday, and a time to be thankful. Enjoy it!!

Well lucky for me, my family are NOT food pushers and they support my lifestyle and the choices I make. My husband's aunt is fully aware that I am bringing it and they are not offended at all. Reason for the Lean Cuisine--- so I can log!!! I cannot log their recipes! How do I know how many calories are in their butter smothered food ?! Everyone has their own choice to make. Glad everyone was ripping my decision apart with their criticisms and judgements while I carried on about my day happily :huh: