An observation about MFP posters...

Options
167891012»

Replies

• BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Forums...they're like buffets.

There are thousands of opinions to chose from. If you went to a buffet and picked something that you didn't enjoy would you go back for seconds?? Try to be helpful, try to be kind...don't egage the trolls and don't forget to tip your wait staff :-)))
  • janehlansing
    Options
    If each of us reported every snarky post and if the forum monitors took it seriously, we might fight the good fight and WIN! :)

(And by snarky I mean purposefully hurtful, shallow, argumentative and rude. We know the difference between that and a sensitive disagreement.)

I'd personally rather the mods spent their time removing potentially dangerous posts than be your personal decorum police....I think I'll pass on joining this movement.

This place is way overpoliced and sanitized of discussion and opinion. It loses a lot of its value due to that.
    More energy on the forum software, less on the bridles.

Have you ever been to ww forums! Judgemental and it won't let you post if you use word hate or *kitten*. That site has made me cry and stop ww. I even went to atkins after... what a protein fat laden nightmare!

Jane
  • janehlansing
    Options
    If each of us reported every snarky post and if the forum monitors took it seriously, we might fight the good fight and WIN! :)

(And by snarky I mean purposefully hurtful, shallow, argumentative and rude. We know the difference between that and a sensitive disagreement.)

I'd personally rather the mods spent their time removing potentially dangerous posts than be your personal decorum police....I think I'll pass on joining this movement.

This place is way overpoliced and sanitized of discussion and opinion. It loses a lot of its value due to that.
    More energy on the forum software, less on the bridles.

Have you ever been to ww forums! Judgemental and it won't let you post if you use word hate or *kitten*. That site has made me cry and stop ww. I even went to atkins after... what a protein fat laden nightmare!

Jane

Not that I say those words alot in writing alot.. but I do say boobs! and butt... can't post those either!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm still waiting for the mean people to come out of their holes on this thread.

Are you saying that I'm not one of the "mean" people???

Hmmm...I'm not sure how I feel about this.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I'm still waiting for the mean people to come out of their holes on this thread.

Are you saying that I'm not one of the "mean" people???

Hmmm...I'm not sure how I feel about this.

evil-kitty.jpg&w=300&h=200&zc=1&q=100
  • vice350z
    vice350z Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I was on MFP over a year ago and found it to be a super helpful site for tracking diet and exercise. I also found the community to be full of supportive people who gave helpful advice, motivation and camaraderie. Even those people who gave out "tough love" did it in a respectful way. After a major injury and a pregnancy I stopped logging and participating on MFP. Now that I'm back on MFP I've been lurking through the community and see a ton of disrespectful comments towards the original poster as well as towards other people who have commented on the post. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of people who still hold true to my past experiences and the site is still very helpful but... wow there sure are a lot of people out there who are jerks to each other. I have been lucky enough to not experience these people first hand on this go-round but I really feel for the people who have.

Did I just miss these folks the last time I was on?

Sucks, but there's aresholes out there that don't have consideration for other's feelings.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I can't believe we have another why are people mean post and that it has gone for 9 pages. That's ridiculous. More ridiculous is the fact I'm gonna give you a serious and hopeful answer.

It is a different place.

Smart people, the ones who've been really successful and learner a lot. The people who were generous and kind answering the same questions over and over and who would even apply patience and forebearance when people would argue against fact because they so badly wanted to believe a myth, those people one by one got sick of it. People would attack them. One chick went positively ape **** when smart people suggested her plan of 3 replacement shakes a day and only that was a bad idea.

It got rudr they'd respond with funny. And the funny smart people willing to help would get warnings or strikes or banned. Leaving the forums to the ketone juice fasters who use small plates before seven and tae bo so they don't get bulky because they work their workout and don't let their workot work them. A women knows their body. So they're still here or replacements.

And then there's people like me left. But this all disgusts me and I miss my friends I learned so much from and am sad they're not in the forums. Then I go in and see the same ignorant rudeness arguing the same crap and believing the same myths and refusing to consider other information without complaining they're being attacked and I decide the people left in the forums have gotten what they deserve and so I spend my time on my wall with the people who used to make the forums so fun and SOOO informative. I truly owe them for much of my success.

So you're right OP and I feel like the onceler. And I don't know how to get the truffula trees back but I know what I see around here isn't worthy of them. Continue on with your fat blasting thneeds.
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I thought there were some mean people here too.

And then I realized that they aren't mean, they're just tired of providing the same common-sense, well-researched, solid advice over and over and over only to be told that they are wrong and they're bullies if they don't offer flowers and rounds of applause when someone posts a bad idea or pity party.

And....since I got myself and my opinions in check and added several of them to my friends list, I can plainly see that they are great people who really truly want to help. And they keep providing advice (over and over) despite being reported and messaged and blamed for the "meanness."

So, you'll find a lot of people here to be blunt, matter-of-fact and maybe offering advice that you don't agree with. But if you take the time to read their posts and see how much they try to help, you'll probably be surprised to learn that they aren't mean at all.

Quoted because it's spot on.

Most of the people who gave me help and great advice when I started here have since been banned. Why? Because someone posts "I'm gonna do a 14 day cabbage soup diet to kick start my metabolism!!", someone explains why this is not a good idea, and then it's all "Why isn't this site supportive waaaah!!"

Wanna find people on this site who have lost weight, know what they're talking about and are willing to help? Simple. Find people who've been banned.

x sigh x
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    The empty vessel makes the loudest sound - William Shakespeare :)

Most people are very very very nice.

^ I agree with this 100%. I also want to add that I find this on here and everywhere in society.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Not once have I ever heard anyone walk into their office and proclaim, "You know.. not everyone here is a nice person!" Of course not, that would be crazy. But for some reason people expect it here.

I must test this...

The response I would get in my office would be worse than anything said on this thread.

Maybe I miss a lot of threads but MFP is pretty tame.............go to a scuba diving site and start a thread about diving to 240fsw on air using a single 80cf aluminum tank; then come back and tell us what snarky is! :laugh:

I'll one up you - certain wedding site - and the words "cash bar".
    Seriously when I came to this site I couldn't believe how nice it was.
    Honestly, even the people who think they are the "innocent victims" can be just as ugly as anyone else with their comments. Just watch the comments that follow - people will come in here, and agree with you about all the "meanies", and turn around and throw around insults.

One of the biggest problems I have with people who complain about how bad things are, is that most of the time the examples they use about someone being mean or snarky just turn out to be about another poster who simply didn't agree with their comment. In the land of MFP, not agreeing makes you and a-hole, bully, snark, or meanie! Some people's kids! :grumble:

Yep. It's usually the "kind, supportive, caring folk" who run around reporting every thread and poster they don't like. If you say you really enjoy Thanksgiving one of those "kind, caring" people will report you because you don't understand how hard it is to try to control your eating. Yep. No lie.

The internet is like life. Not everyone is nice. But for some reason people expect the thousands and thousands of members here to all be their friends and love them.

Not once have I ever heard anyone walk into their office and proclaim, "You know.. not everyone here is a nice person!" Of course not, that would be crazy. But for some reason people expect it here.

This exactly. It constantly amazes me that people seems to think that on the internet everyone should be hearts and flowers. If you dont like someone skip there post. If you dont like the topic in a thread dont read it .It s really very simple

and yet it constantly amazes me that people seem to think that on the internet you can be flat out rude just because its the "internet" and people shouldnt have feelings. Regardless, its a form of bullying and its not okay. Just goes to shows one character AND I try to keep off the forums for this very reason. Treat others how you want to be treated...in real life OR on the internet...period.

I have a question. If you saw someone saying mean things to another person in public, would you run and tell the authorities every time? I don't tattle at home and I don't tattle on the internet. Let the police and mods deal with real issues.

Do you have any idea how many people call Police because someone said something mean on Facebook or to them? It's astounding.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's been that way since I joined. It seems to mostly be the members following some strict diet protocol, whether it's vegan or Paleo or eat X grams of protein, and the "look at my abs! If you don't eat like me you'll be skinny fat and never look good naked" crowd.

Those that are really just here to improve/maintain weight and health are usually pretty supportive.

There are paleo people like this? Where? I've been here over a year and haven't found any like that...and I've been looking for them. Please provide a list of names so I can send them FRs.

Ha Ha

I think most of the original people that made my ignore list were paleo folks who made the most ludicrous claims that I refuse to see anything they type ever again. :laugh:

The first time someone told me legumes were poisonous I seriously thought they were trying to be funny.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    It's been that way since I joined. It seems to mostly be the members following some strict diet protocol, whether it's vegan or Paleo or eat X grams of protein, and the "look at my abs! If you don't eat like me you'll be skinny fat and never look good naked" crowd.

Those that are really just here to improve/maintain weight and health are usually pretty supportive.

There are paleo people like this? Where? I've been here over a year and haven't found any like that...and I've been looking for them. Please provide a list of names so I can send them FRs.

Ha Ha

I think most of the original people that made my ignore list were paleo folks who made the most ludicrous claims that I refuse to see anything they type ever again. :laugh:

The first time someone told me legumes were poisonous I seriously thought they were trying to be funny.

Okay, fine...but when I read in your obituary that you died from acute black bean poisoning, we'll see who's laughing then.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Ha Ha

Okay, fine...but when I read in your obituary that you died from acute black bean poisoning, we'll see who's laughing then.

My husband doesn't like black beans so I don't eat too many of those. But if pinto, garbanzo or kidney beans were poisonous I'd have been dead decades ago. I doubt more than a couple of days has gone by in the past 1/2 century that I haven't eaten at least one of those.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The gases created from eating black beans might be deadly. :sick:
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options

I must test this...

The response I would get in my office would be worse than anything said on this thread.

Maybe I miss a lot of threads but MFP is pretty tame.............go to a scuba diving site and start a thread about diving to 240fsw on air using a single 80cf aluminum tank; then come back and tell us what snarky is! :laugh:

Honestly, even the people who think they are the "innocent victims" can be just as ugly as anyone else with their comments. Just watch the comments that follow - people will come in here, and agree with you about all the "meanies", and turn around and throw around insults.

One of the biggest problems I have with people who complain about how bad things are, is that most of the time the examples they use about someone being mean or snarky just turn out to be about another poster who simply didn't agree with their comment. In the land of MFP, not agreeing makes you and a-hole, bully, snark, or meanie! Some people's kids! :grumble:

Yep. It's usually the "kind, supportive, caring folk" who run around reporting every thread and poster they don't like. If you say you really enjoy Thanksgiving one of those "kind, caring" people will report you because you don't understand how hard it is to try to control your eating. Yep. No lie.

The internet is like life. Not everyone is nice. But for some reason people expect the thousands and thousands of members here to all be their friends and love them.

This exactly. It constantly amazes me that people seems to think that on the internet everyone should be hearts and flowers. If you dont like someone skip there post. If you dont like the topic in a thread dont read it .It s really very simple

and yet it constantly amazes me that people seem to think that on the internet you can be flat out rude just because its the "internet" and people shouldnt have feelings. Regardless, its a form of bullying and its not okay. Just goes to shows one character AND I try to keep off the forums for this very reason. Treat others how you want to be treated...in real life OR on the internet...period.

I have a question. If you saw someone saying mean things to another person in public, would you run and tell the authorities every time? I don't tattle at home and I don't tattle on the internet. Let the police and mods deal with real issues.

Do you have any idea how many people call Police because someone said something mean on Facebook or to them? It's astounding.

no
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I must test this...

no

^this
  • SofaKingRad_
    Options
    :cry:
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m306dx8lsT1rp4i6ho1_r1_400.gif
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options