Dumb warning labels

Options

Replies

• mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    OK, it's an ad, but still a warning label -

There's a commercial for a car that shows a white compact car jumping off a building and soaring through the air. At the bottom of the screen: Simulation. Do Not Attempt. Cars Cannot Fly.

well dangit, I thought we were in the 21st century. I want my flying car!!!
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I used to have a ride on lawnmower with an excellent manual, featuring helpful tips like "do not operate on riverbeds", and classically "do not operate on grass"...
  • tomcat941
    tomcat941 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    "Do not use orally after using rectally." -- In the instructions for an electric thermometer

I would say that was a personal choice...
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    someone came up with a story for this one once-- an old lady washed her cat and popped it in the microwave

I heard that story too. Then I found Snopes lists it as an urban legend:
    http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/microwavedpet.asp
  • karawRN
    karawRN Posts: 311
    Options
    duh.jpg
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    When my husband was in the Marine Corps, they would always give them these long lectures not to do really stupid stuff (don't eat the instant clot powder, for example). These warnings often came with the reminder that they were telling them this, because some Marine, somewhere had actually done it. I think the same holds in the civilian world, if a company bothers to print something on the label, it's because someone probably actually did that, and the company heard about it.

The obvious exception is labeling for common food allergens, they are required to print those, even if the product obviously contains ingredient X.

Edited for a stupid typo.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Silica packets -'Do not Eat'
    Oh really? Because for a second there I thought a snack came with my new shoes.

damn I only buy shoes for the sample of pop rocks.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,070 Member
    Options
    Why my husband was in the Marine Corps, they would always give them these long lectures not to do really stupid stuff (don't eat the instant clot powder, for example). These warnings often came with the reminder that they were telling them this, because some Marine, somewhere had actually done it. I think the same holds in the civilian world, if a company bothers to print something on the label, it's because someone probably actually did that, and the company heard about it.

The obvious exception is labeling for common food allergens, they are required to print those, even if the product obviously contains ingredient X.

I believe this is true, both parts, but I am referencing the first. I used to think it was crazy to list some of these warnings, particularly in regards to ingesting odd things like bleach, shampoo, silica, until watching that show "My Strange Addiction". Holy crap, people will eat pretty much anything.
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    May contain nuts on my Peanut butter jar. REALLY. No *kitten* Sherlock!!

Peanuts aren't nuts, they're a legume, it is entirely possible that someone is not allergic to peanuts, but is allergic to the tree nuts that are also processed on the same equipment.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    OK, it's an ad, but still a warning label -

There's a commercial for a car that shows a white compact car jumping off a building and soaring through the air. At the bottom of the screen: Simulation. Do Not Attempt. Cars Cannot Fly.

well dangit, I thought we were in the 21st century. I want my flying car!!!

well if Back to the Future part 2 is correct we should have the flying cars by Oct 2015. We're so close!
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    On my last toaster I bought "Do not operate in oven" ..........Is there really call for such double-toasted toast? :S
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    My shampoo label says not to use internally.

What flipping idiot drank it?

:noway: maybe they didn't "drink" it. *gag* :noway: :laugh:

Well, I know you shouldn't do a Ben Gay back rub before getting intimate. Maybe it's something like that.

My mother one ups you on this one, she had a diaphragm, you know, the type that you use with contraceptive jell, that comes in a little tube just like Ben Gay.
  • izzie2012
    Options
    My hair straighteners say "not for internal use" on them...

Eeeerm??? :P
  • Kathy_TheVampireSlayer
    Options
    "Do not use for drying pets." -- In the manual for a microwave oven.
    [/quote]

Really ? This is how i always dry them though... :embarassed:
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    Almond Milk. It is NAMED Almond Milk. The first ingredient in the ingredient list is ALMONDS. And it STILL has a big, bold cautionary message after the ingredient list that says: WARNING. CONTAINS ALMONDS

Mixed Nuts. No name brand at my store. MIXED NUTS with a picture of peanuts, almonds, walnuts, etc on the cover. It is called Mixed Nuts. Ingredient list includes peanuts, walnuts, etc. And underneath the ingredient list is a big bold warning that says: CONTAINS MIXED NUTS.

DOH!

Personally, if you have an allergy to nuts, and you eat something that obviously has NUTS in the name....you deserve to get taken out of the gene pool.

It's not about that. The law is written in a way that makes very few exceptions for the warning labels, and for good reason, if you let companies make "judgement calls" about what products get labeled, the whole system would be pointless as a lot of products wouldn't get labeled properly. The solution is to make everyone label everything. Yes, it results in some stupid warnings, but it also saves lives.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    duh.jpg
    :laugh: :drinker: :laugh: :drinker: ^^Fantastic!!^^ :drinker: :laugh: :drinker: :laugh:
    Yes, I've also bought packets of nuts with “Warning: May Contain Nuts” on the pack. If you've a nut allergy and you eat a packet of nuts because it didn't have a warning label on it then I believe that's called natural selection, no?
  • laughingnome
    laughingnome Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    These are funny
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Bump, plus:

"Do not use for drying pets." -- In the manual for a microwave oven.

sad story: my dad (aaages ago) worked at a place and a woman tried to return the microwave oven because it killed her dog. So unfortunately, some people are just that dumb.
  • JayStu
    JayStu Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have a friend in the pharmaceutical business that told me a box of suppository pills has remove from packaging before use
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    Silica packets -'Do not Eat'
    Oh really? Because for a second there I thought a snack came with my new shoes.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: