Dumb warning labels

Options

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    any type of coffee cup that has to say caution may be hot .... damn people and there crazy lawsuits for spilling coffee on themselves cause they where driving, texting and holding coffee all at the same time

That started with an elderly lady in a McDonald. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald's_Restaurants

The fact she had over $10 k in med bills in 1994 makes me wonder how hot it was.

It made for some great Seinfeld episodes :tongue:
  • Captainobvvious
    Captainobvvious Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    any type of coffee cup that has to say caution may be hot .... damn people and there crazy lawsuits for spilling coffee on themselves cause they where driving, texting and holding coffee all at the same time

That started with an elderly lady in a McDonald. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald's_Restaurants

The fact she had over $10 k in med bills in 1994 makes me wonder how hot it was.

The woman had incredibly bad burns and had to have skin grafts. She was in the hospital for a long time. The coffee was WAY WAY WAY too hot...Its used as the classic example of the frivolous lawsuit but that's just because McDonald's won the PR war with the case. They were wrong.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    TWO of my curling irons have a warning that states "Not for use while taking a bath/shower". Who the heck is trying to curl their hair while they're washing it?

The box of my perfume had a "not for human consumption" label on it. Um...I want to know who confused perfume with a breath mint?

No... that's just so you know it's ok to give to your cat... :bigsmile:
  • HollowedOutHeartx
    Options
    Oh my...These are entertaining. XD
    Bump!
  • jennibee70
    jennibee70 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    On my iron: "Do not iron clothes while being worn."

How lazy does one have to be to not take off the shirt?
    I have ironed the bottom of a shirt while wearing it :)
    I'm ashamed to say I have also done that :(

I once burned my stomach with the iron while ironing the shirt I was about to put on. The iron should probably have had a warning label for me!
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    Silica packets -'Do not Eat'
    Oh really? Because for a second there I thought a snack came with my new shoes.

if it was edible that would be my perfect gift ! :smile:
  • Pikkuinen
    Options
    I was on a flight to the US a few years ago and they handed out those small packets of peanuts.
    Next to a warning label that said 'Warning: May contain traces of peanuts' (whoa, those are some big traces) there were also detailled instructions on how to eat them... 1. Open package. 2. Take a peanut. 3. Put it in your mouth. 4. Chew!
  • sho3girl
    Options
    duh.jpg

love it !
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    jennibee70 wrote:
    I once burned my stomach with the iron while ironing the shirt I was about to put on.

I burned my ear - somebody phoned me while I was ironing.
  • sho3girl
    Options
    jennibee70 wrote:
    I once burned my stomach with the iron while ironing the shirt I was about to put on.

I've done this with the hair straighters ... should have read the instruction doh!
  • mfp_1
    Options
    mfp_1 wrote:
    sho3girl wrote
    I've done this with the hair straighters ... should have read the instruction doh!

Actually I was only joking ...
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    duh.jpg

I love this so much!

My old mattress had a tag on it that said "Do not attempt to swallow mattress."
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    ok I've had my morning chuckles thanks
  • arewethereyet
    Options

The woman had incredibly bad burns and had to have skin grafts. She was in the hospital for a long time. The coffee was WAY WAY WAY too hot...Its used as the classic example of the frivolous lawsuit but that's just because McDonald's won the PR war with the case. They were wrong.

Completely agree. Because of this coffee and hot chocolate makers have to be checked all the time, those coils break and over heat I mean 10k in medical bills indicates she had skin grafts, etc.

I once watched as a small boy reached up to the bar in a ski resort and poured the cup down his ski bibs. Because of that lawsuit I acted quickly and removed his clothes immediately so he'd stop cooking. Asked for tepid water soaked clean bar rag. Poor momma had just turned for a second. When ski patrol came I heard them say I did the right thing as I exited.

I guess some good came of the suit. I never would have reacted so quickly if I hadn't studied the prior coffee.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    duh.jpg

I love this so much!

My old mattress had a tag on it that said "Do not attempt to swallow mattress."

They just forgot punctuation.

"Do not swallow, Sincerely The Mattress"
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Good morning laugh! These were hilarious!
  • mfp_1
    Options
    arewethereyet wrote:
    I acted quickly and removed his clothes immediately so he'd stop cooking.

I agree you did the right thing. Unfortunately, a lot of people would now be scared to do that with another person's child.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    arewethereyet wrote:
    I acted quickly and removed his clothes immediately so he'd stop cooking.

I agree you did the right thing. Unfortunately, a lot of people would now be scared to do that with another person's child.

Oh then too! It was instinct but I shook for an hour afterwards. Also, note I left without leaving my name. :wink:

I bet you would have done the same thing:love:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    The warning on the peanuts almost made me choke!
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of oven mitts that have "do not use on babies" on the tag. I mentioned it to the man, and he says "people are so dumb. Everyone knows when you pull a baby out of the oven, you're supposed to use bbq tongs."
    :laugh:

My favorite was on a "shower radio", that is a radio intended for and with advertising on the package saying it could be hung in and played in the shower. (It was even shaped with a hook to go over the shower head or towel bar.)

And then you open it up and the packaged instructions say, "do not get wet". :sad:

P.S. That may not be my favorite anymore after reading all these! :happy: