Dumb warning labels

Options

Replies

• katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    ...my dad (aaages ago) worked at a place and a woman tried to return the microwave oven because it killed her dog.

I heard that story too. Then I found Snopes lists it as an urban legend:
    http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/microwavedpet.asp

I'm sure all of the stories are not made up, even if you see something on snopes. When I was a kid, my mom was babysitting two of my cousins. They were terrorizing a kitten (they were really bad kids) and my mom walked in the house just as they were putting it in the microwave. Thankfully she walked in when she did.

Also:
    Shin pads cannot protect any part of the body they do not cover." -- On a pair of shin guards made for bicyclists
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    katy84o wrote:

I'm sure all of the stories are not made up, even if you see something on snopes. When I was a kid, my mom was babysitting two of my cousins. They were terrorizing a kitten (they were really bad kids) and my mom walked in the house just as they were putting it in the microwave.

The Snopes link addressed that specific point:
    "Although there have been a few verifiable cases of pets subjected to microwaving, each of them were deliberate acts of cruelty, perpetrated by twisted souls who knew all too well what they were doing. Micropoochings arising from a lack of understanding of the technology, however, are still incidents of lore
    only."

Urban legends can be true or false. False ones rely on 'capability to be true'. True ones don't have to, of course.
    http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/errata/a/urban_legends.htm
    Urban legends are popular stories alleged to be true and passed from individual to individual via oral or written (e.g. forwarded email) communication. Typically, said stories concern outlandish, humiliating, humorous, terrifying, or supernatural events — events which, in the telling, always seem to happen to someone other than the teller.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    any type of coffee cup that has to say caution may be hot .... damn people and there crazy lawsuits for spilling coffee on themselves cause they where driving, texting and holding coffee all at the same time

That started with an elderly lady in a McDonald. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald's_Restaurants

The fact she had over $10 k in med bills in 1994 makes me wonder how hot it was.

It made for some great Seinfeld episodes :tongue:

The woman had incredibly bad burns and had to have skin grafts. She was in the hospital for a long time. The coffee was WAY WAY WAY too hot...Its used as the classic example of the frivolous lawsuit but that's just because McDonald's won the PR war with the case. They were wrong.

I watched a great documentary about this case, and others, called Hot Coffee, highly recommended.....from what I remember, that McDonald's had also been warned several times that their coffee was WAY too hot....

http://www.hotcoffeethemovie.com/
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    dumb-warning-labels-and-signs03.jpg

This tells me some idiot tried to use those as sounds, WOW
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    My favorite was I bought a blow dryer that said

Do not use while showering or sleeping....

Really? I can't wash my hair and dry it at the same time? And if I resist that, I can't even just dry it for EIGHT HOURS while I am sleeping? Man, that sucks!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    arewethereyet wrote:
    I acted quickly and removed his clothes immediately so he'd stop cooking.

I agree you did the right thing. Unfortunately, a lot of people would now be scared to do that with another person's child.

Oh then too! It was instinct but I shook for an hour afterwards. Also, note I left without leaving my name. :wink:

I bet you would have done the same thing:love:

Most states actually have what are called "Good Samaritan Laws" that protect individuals who try to help in emergencies. As long as you don't do something like a tracheotomy when you are not a doctor, you do have SOME protection. Until the damn lawyers get involved.

What if you do a tracheotomy and it saves the person's life? :happy:
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I can explain the not using the hair dryer while sleeping one. My very own mother is responsible for this one. We were very poor when I was younger. Not because of a recession or anything, but because she was a drug addict, and all the money went for that. But anyway, she came home one night, and we didn't have any electricity in the house, and it was very cold. But thankfully, our neighbors let us run a single extension cord from their house. Well, my mom took the extension cord, plugged a hair dryer into it, and stuck the hair dryer under her blanket and went to sleep. She was so F***ed up, that it didn't even wake her as the hair dryer burnt a whole into her leg, nearly to the bone. And did my mom sue? Oh yes, yes she did. She loves to sue people. I think she got something like $10,000 for that little fiasco.
  • mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    duh.jpg

omg this haha
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Lol!

Love some of the posts.

I love how toiletries say do not eat etc
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    arewethereyet wrote:
    I acted quickly and removed his clothes immediately so he'd stop cooking.

I agree you did the right thing. Unfortunately, a lot of people would now be scared to do that with another person's child.

Oh then too! It was instinct but I shook for an hour afterwards. Also, note I left without leaving my name. :wink:

I bet you would have done the same thing:love:

Most states actually have what are called "Good Samaritan Laws" that protect individuals who try to help in emergencies. As long as you don't do something like a tracheotomy when you are not a doctor, you do have SOME protection. Until the damn lawyers get involved.

What if you do a tracheotomy and it saves the person's life? :happy:

Well if it is MY life, or that of my child, your warning label would be "Watch out for that lady behind me she will KICK YOUR AZZ if you try to hurt me" Then I would follow you around looking like this:love:

:laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I can explain the not using the hair dryer while sleeping one. My very own mother is responsible for this one. We were very poor when I was younger. Not because of a recession or anything, but because she was a drug addict, and all the money went for that. But anyway, she came home one night, and we didn't have any electricity in the house, and it was very cold. But thankfully, our neighbors let us run a single extension cord from their house. Well, my mom took the extension cord, plugged a hair dryer into it, and stuck the hair dryer under her blanket and went to sleep. She was so F***ed up, that it didn't even wake her as the hair dryer burnt a whole into her leg, nearly to the bone. And did my mom sue? Oh yes, yes she did. She loves to sue people. I think she got something like $10,000 for that little fiasco.

There is always someone, huh? My mom fell asleep with a cig when she was drinking. Awoke to heavy black smoke and fire. Thank GOD we all got out safely. The first thing the neighbor said? "You should sue, a couch shouldn't burn so quickly!" My mom said "Haha, we are alive, I don't think so!"
  • YoshiZelda
    YoshiZelda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    2zf7fxu.gif
  • mfp_1
    Options
    arewethereyet wrote:

My mom fell asleep with a cig when she was drinking. Awoke to heavy black smoke and fire.

36% of fire deaths are smoking related.
    Cigarettes should pay for 36% of emergency service costs.
  • MissFitee
    MissFitee Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I dig the one that says "Don't attempt to stop chain with hands" on a chainsaw... =/
  • CudyBug
    CudyBug Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

How is it the cigarette's fault if someone catches something on fire with it? Umm duh it is hot and burning, it will catch something on fire. So if someone falls asleep with a cigarette and burns their house down, the cigarette company should pay for the costs? UMM NO. How about wild fires started from idiots who just toss a lit cigarette without putting it out? Should the cigarette company pay for the emergency services to put said fire out?
  • arewethereyet
    Options

How is it the cigarette's fault if someone catches something on fire with it? Umm duh it is hot and burning, it will catch something on fire. So if someone falls asleep with a cigarette and burns their house down, the cigarette company should pay for the costs? UMM NO. How about wild fires started from idiots who just toss a lit cigarette without putting it out? Should the cigarette company pay for the emergency services to put said fire out?
    [/quote]

I think that was sarcasm :laugh:

The fact that on the side of the US cig package it has all these warnings about death,sick babies, fire hazards..ad nauseum is the best evidence we have gone mad with litigation.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    At a hotel with full kitchen "do not sit on stove top while hot"

Oh OK, cuz I was going to ask my guest to sit there for dinner!
  • heidimaggott78
    Options
    My macadamia nut butter's label says that it has been packed in a factory that uses nuts.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Cadbury's whole-nut, contains traces of nut/not suitable for those with a nut allegy. Ummm really
  • mfp_1
    Options
    CudyBug wrote:
    >How is it the cigarette's fault if someone catches something on fire with it?

It isn't the cigarette's fault, it's the smoker's fault.