When did you know it was over?

Options
Bentley2718
Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
I’m starting to find the “when did you know” relationship threads tedious, so just for balance I thought we’d address the opposite end of this issue. For those of you who are divorced (or have ended a “serious” relationship), when did you know it was time to end things? How long after that did you actually do it? How long has it been since you broke things off?

For the record, I'm happily married, although I did end my fair share of relationships before meeting my husband. I just have a realistic streak.

Replies

• wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    i dated a girl for 3 years that i knew i would never marry, but she was fun to hang out with. i had to end it because it was starting to be so long that the "next step" was starting to be expected.
    31993703 Posts: 1,144
    Options
    When all we had was a routine. Never anything different. No thanks.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    when _DaniD_ said "just break up"
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    When the rules changed to "I expect to know every move your make every day" for me. At the same timeI was being "nosy and "rude" and "distrusting" if I asked the same. Not gonna live with a double standard like that.

JM
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    When she said, "I don't love you anymore". God, I never want to ever hear those words again.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    When I found out she was the local party favor for the 513th MI Brigade.
  • farfoorah
    Options
    When the other ***** he was ****in messaged me on FB...
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    When he moved in and started acting weird. I just assumed it was because his parents were still here and he was adjusting..but it turned out he was cheating and too freaked out to be away from his family (He moved from IL to FL to be with me,, we'd been dating 3 years and it was his idea to follow me to graduate school). That was it. I never want to be cheated on ever again, nor do I ever want to feel like I did when he left. I was devastated. But I know I'm a total catch, so hopefully someone amazing will scoop me up next and not need to stray :)
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options

/thread
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    when would finish work 2 hours early and would just stay there becasue i didnt want to go home to him lol long gone now yahoo lol him along with his whole family were crazy, worst bf mistake ever
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    When sex was withheld as a passive aggressive punishment.
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    when he didn't show up for a weekend getaway trip we had planned
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    With my ex-husband, I knew as soon as our daughter was born and I realized that he was never going to grow up and put anyone (even his own child) before his own selfish needs. I kicked him out shortly after that and filed for divorce. Best decision I ever made.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    The relationship that never should have happened but did result in my daughter - so I can't regret all of it.
    Honestly I don't know WHY my ex fiancee and I ever dated. It was bad from the start to be honest. After I got pregnant I went through the motions b/c we were having a baby. Worst time of life. Looking back I shouldn't have followed through with the motions; should have gone through the pregnancy on my own and never let him have a part of any of it.
    Anyways shortly after my daughter was born I was in a car accident, then cut my biological father out of my life and it was all down hill from there. The first time I told my ex I didn't need him was the most freeing moment ever.
    Things did drag on for a while and I grew to just HATE him
    We ended moving in with a family friend and I saw my opportunity to leave. Went to my sister's for the memorial day weekend - made out with her neighbor and left a week later. Never looked back
  • ohmelgosh79
    ohmelgosh79 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    when he tore me and my daughter down verbally. I was a "fat, ugly, worthless, c**t and he had to think about other women to get off, a horrible mother" and my 8 yr old daughter was "a f**ked up little brat". I hung up the phone and was DONE.
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Thirty years ago I was engaged to a girl I met at Grad School. I took her home ot meet my folks, and they were not charmed. In front of her, they said to me "You know with medical science the way it is, you will likely be together for 60-80 years. Is that what you want?" I decided right then the answer was "No!" Took three months to break up.

She found a sweater I loved thirty years later and returned it to me via mail! Decent person. Still I made the right decision.
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options

Hahaha
  • Countryboy_
    Options
    When I caught her in teh back seat of a mustang with a minor league baseball player, the same week that she was fired from her job at the bank for stealing $10k to fund a cocaine filled weekend with her "friends".

If a 1988 toyota 4wd pickup would have gone as fast as a 1990 mustang, I would have core aerated them both that night.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Hahaha, THIS.

....And when he punched me in the face, took my keys and phone, and left me crouched, crying and bleeding in a deserted parking lot.