Can we start a mythbusting thread?

Options

Replies

• freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Myth: Starvation mode
    Fact: lol

every time someone brings up the mythical "starvation mode" I get a chuckle..unless you are below the minimal body fat % this is utter BS
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Your fact is a myth.

I have and so have others I know gained muscle and lost fat on a deficit.
  • fraser112
    Options
    Its odd people always take the stance its not possible but it is for the obese or the new to lifting. Now if i had to geuss i would say 90% of people asking this are new or obese. Hell id geuss anyone can to some extent it makes sense if your using your muscles in some way while on a deficit your body will say i need more muscle i have spare fat. It only applies to the seasoned lifter.

Since muscle loss has been shown to be pretty much zero if lifting is used id say this myth will be fully debunked when some proper studies are done.
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    FACT: I am going to be late for work, because i read this whole thread :tongue:
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Okay, so this will probably get me slammed - and so I'm kind of timid about putting this out here, but:

MYTH: Everyone on a 1,200 calorie diet feels deprived and is shaming themselves for every over-count food choice they make.

TRUTH: If I go over a hundred, or two hundred, or three hundred, I make sure to end my day at MFP with a positive and self-encouraging statement. I absolutely make SURE to note that I enjoyed the food I ate, just to remind myself that it is okay to enjoy food. And I always state that still have the permission to make better food choices.

Rather than claiming my over days at 1200 are things to be upset about, I use those days as positive affirmation that it's okay to eat whatever I'd like and that I don't have to feel guilty about it.

I know I can't be the only one with this experience......
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I actually just read an article that stated Breakfast IS actually good for your metabolism and energy level so I am confused where others are hearing different
    http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/weight-loss/fact-or-fiction-eating-breakfast-can-help-you-lose-weight.html

Sorry but that article is not even scientifically based! It tediously goes on about the dieting myth norms...fat is bad for you..not having breakfast will put you in starvation mode etc.

Your body does not go into starvation mode until 72 hours of eating NOTHING.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Your fact is a myth.

How are the BF percentages being measured in order to make this assertion?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Your fact is a myth.

Yeah, you haven't. Unless you are a genetic mutant or a wizard? Please explain where the energy and amino acids for growing new tissue would come from in a calorie deficit? Again as I stated, you can experience newbie gains of a pound or 2 and the same if you are obese but beyond that, physiologically impossible.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Its odd people always take the stance its not possible but it is for the obese or the new to lifting. Now if i had to geuss i would say 90% of people asking this are new or obese. Hell id geuss anyone can to some extent it makes sense if your using your muscles in some way while on a deficit your body will say i need more muscle i have spare fat. It only applies to the seasoned lifter.

Since muscle loss has been shown to be pretty much zero if lifting is used id say this myth will be fully debunked when some proper studies are done.

Newbie gains are about 1 - 2 lb - negligible when you think about it's distribution over the entire body. Most people claim to have gained a huge amount of muscle - just not true.

Here is a study on obese people - what it showed was LBM was maintained (actually lost slightly but within the SD so a loss cannot be assumed), not even gained when strength training. I would note though that they were on a VLCD so some gains may have been made if the calories were higher.

http://www.korr.com/solutions/files/faq-4-3.pdf
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Myth: eating back exercise calories makes you lose weight a lot faster.

Fact: it doesn't your just minimizing the effects of the exercise, a calorie deficit causes weight loss, eating back the calories was a waste of time...you just ran for nothing!

Myth: eating back exercise calories is a waste of time as you just ran for nothing
    Fact: many people run for food and for the cardiovascular benefits
  • vegapsi
    Options
    Your fact is a myth.

Could it be possible that your loss in fat exposed the muscle you already had?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Your fact is a myth.

So you have the weight and corresponding body fat numbers to back these claims ;)

There are only a few conditions where a person can gain new lean body mass in a calorie deficit.

1. noob gains 1-2
    2. Morbidly obese
    3. Shown only in some elite athletes with a very small deficit and only in the legs.

If you do not fit any of those 3, then it's probably an assumption because you got stronger and your muscle is more visible.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Your fact is a myth.

So you have the weight and corresponding body fat numbers to back these claims ;)

There are only a few conditions where a person can gain new lean body mass in a calorie deficit.

1. noob gains 1-2
    2. Morbidly obese
    3. Shown only in some elite athletes with a very small deficit and only in the legs.

If you do not fit any of those 3, then it's probably an assumption because you got stronger and your muscle is more visible.

I don't know enough to agree or disagree here, but I do always wonder about the "noob gains 1-2" assertion. How is that consistent? Once you give up your noob card, your muscles stop cooperating?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Myth: I have a small penis

Fact: 2 inches is a fine size

Where's Ron Simmons when you need him?
  • PINKinquisition1908
    Options
    That one is true. :-)
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Your fact is a myth.

Your anecdotal, not-quite-informed "fact" is a myth :laugh:

Really, though. There's a difference between building muscle and strengthening muscle, and it's VERY easy to lose fat and expose said muscle (while also strengthening it) on a deficit. You'd need to be eating at a surplus to actually increase muscle mass.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Your fact is a myth.

1. noob gains 1-2
    2. Morbidly obese

I don't know enough to agree or disagree here, but I do always wonder about the "noob gains 1-2" assertion. How is that consistent? Once you give up your noob card, your muscles stop cooperating?

You still see strength gains, just not mass gains.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Your fact is a myth.

1. noob gains 1-2
    2. Morbidly obese

Why can't all that fat you're losing fuel your way to larger muscles?
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Myth: This thread is a good idea.
    Fact: This thread is an AWESOME idea.

:) Thanks for the wildly entertaining arguments on the Interwebs.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Your fact is a myth.

1. noob gains 1-2
    2. Morbidly obese

Why can't all that fat you're losing fuel your way to larger muscles?

On a deficit it goes towards fueling other things - like daily activity and 'maintenance' of your body. Muscle is expensive to maintain and will pretty much be given last priority.