Can we start a mythbusting thread?

Options

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I challenged you to be specific. I did so because of the above quote.

And it is and I expressed one example (I dislike pointing fingers at people and saying "WRONG YOU IDIOT"). That is typically not my style.

Still worth noting you ONLY called for me to start stating examples and data while letting everyone else here have their "Because I said so" myths and facts.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Then it may help if you are specific in requesting an explanation of the statement rather than making a broad generalized one.

Anymore you noticed or was it just the one that you admit to having discrepancies with definitions?

I suppose if everyone stops posting for a little while I can go through each post specifically and assess the correctness of both the statement of an item as myth and the statement of an item as fact and then prove of disprove it one way or another. That could take significant time.

It is more of a call for people to explain their justifications and cite some sort of proof or evidence to support their claim.

Otherwise, nothing here is "mythbusting" at all.

Sorry that the thread is not progressing exactly to your liking.
  • Thokiz
    Thokiz Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Myth: You shouldn't eat Cats or Dogs

Fact: Dog & Cats are about 400 calories per 1/4 pound serving; so it should be done in moderation.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    NO! STOP IT!

You are only allowed to start mythbusting threads if explosions are involved!!! You're all horrible. HORRIBLE! *storms out in disgust*
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

And it is and I expressed one example (I dislike pointing fingers at people and saying "WRONG YOU IDIOT"). That is typically not my style.

Still worth noting you ONLY called for me to start stating examples and data while letting everyone else here have their "Because I said so" myths and facts.

Look, I'm not picking on you to pick on you. Not how I roll. The simple fact is that you called BS and I asked you to clarify so that more information is exchanged and someone, somehere, gets something out of it. Nothing more.

I also never asked you for data or for proof, I asked you for specific examples of what it is you disagree with rather than a blanket statement about things being wrong.

Nothing personal.
  • DanaDark
    Options
    Sorry that the thread is not progressing exactly to your liking.

I forgive you. JUST you though. lol.

Seriously, I would love for actual myth BUSTING. I didn't mean to make it seem like I ran in here freaking the heck out over the lack of half the title being actually in the thread. he he
  • DanaDark
    Options
    Look, I'm not picking on you to pick on you. Not how I roll. The simple fact is that you called BS and I asked you to clarify so that more information is exchanged and someone, somehere, gets something out of it. Nothing more.

I also never asked you for data or for proof, I asked you for specific examples of what it is you disagree with rather than a blanket statement about things being wrong.

Nothing personal.

Blanket statements from everyone else = okay.

Blanket statement from me = HOLY CRAP ON THAT LIKE FLIES ON POOP.

Gotcha.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'll start, and it'll work as an example;

I've heard that eating carbs (or just eating at all) after 6pm should be avoided because when you're sleeping it's harder to break it down, but I've also heard that this isn't true. If it is true then it's a good tip I guess.

Some threads add value to the internet. Others take away. This is one of the others. But if you were just trolling then it's a good thread I guess.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Nothing personal.

Gotcha.

*sigh*

I give up.
  • DanaDark
    Options
    *sigh*

I give up.

Yay I win be default! lol jk

I think my witty sarcasm doesn't always translate well on teh interwebs =/ Perhaps I come off as "Caring" more than I really do about some things (such as this).
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Myth- Eat less to weigh less.
    Myth- Eat more to weigh more is a myth because we are here because we all ate too much to gain the weight.

Fact- You are here because you probably consumed more than you burned, AND consumed junk food laced with preservatives and fat and sugar. You are here because you rather have watched the newest episode of the big bang theory and not take 30 minutes to work out. You are here because you did not know anything about nutrition and bought into "quick fix diets" that caused your metabolism to crash and think you are starving so when you fell off your diet, you gained it back and then some.

Fact- Eat what you burn, don't go over, eat good food, and be active.

Honestly, don't say "eating more will cause you to gain" It will if you eat OVER what you burn, if you eat OVER your TDEE. But if you eat your BMR, and then burn 300 calories in a work out, eating those 300 calories helps your body more than hurts... so long as you're not giving your body junk food.

Look at your body like a car. If you're sitting at a red light, you still need gas to run. That's your BMR. You want to drive 5 miles, that's like your TDEE. If you have enough gas to run while at a red light, and want to go 5 miles, you need to have enough to fuel yourself that far.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

If you look back, SideSteel has actually posted against claims to clarify them so I am not sure where you are getting that from. Also, you do not like pointing fingers but you expect others to do it?
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

I give up.

Yay I win be default! lol jk

I think my witty sarcasm doesn't always translate well on teh interwebs =/ Perhaps I come off as "Caring" more than I really do about some things (such as this).

Someone needs a hug . . .
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Nothing personal.

Gotcha.

I suggest you actually look back at the thread more carefully before getting caught up with assumptions that it is only you that people are 'picking on' or whatever the correct expression is for 'crap on that like flies on poop'
  • DanaDark
    Options
    If you look back, SideSteel has actually posted against claims to clarify them so I am not sure where you are getting that from. Also, you do not like pointing fingers but you expect others to do it?

From what I read, his responses were not exactly against nor for but rather clarifications mostly.

And no, I do not like pointing fingers. That is not to say I like unequal treatment. Some people simply stated incorrect things. They were left alone. I stated that some people were stating incorrect things and would be better off at least explaining with some sources their stance given the title "myth BUSTING".

And I got called out for it. So, I casually replied. I honestly didn't think you and Side Steel would be completely devastated by my desire to see the BUSTING part of a MythBUSTING thread.
  • DanaDark
    Options
    Someone needs a hug . . .

Lol, nah. Didn't really care much about the thread, but would have enjoyed mythbusting. So, I mentioned what I did casually. Now left and right people are on me lol. So, suddenly gotta focus more. >.>
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Myth: Starvation mode
    Fact: You're not in starvation mode
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

From what I read, his responses were not exactly against nor for but rather clarifications mostly.

And no, I do not like pointing fingers. That is not to say I like unequal treatment. Some people simply stated incorrect things. They were left alone. I stated that some people were stating incorrect things and would be better off at least explaining with some sources their stance given the title "myth BUSTING".

And I got called out for it. So, I casually replied. I honestly didn't think you and Side Steel would be completely devastated by my desire to see the BUSTING part of a MythBUSTING thread.

Who was left alone? The only one that I saw was the starvation mode one - and Sidesteel explained that.

As for the last sentence, what on earth are you talking about? Devastated - lolz. All you were asked for were examples. You gave one and then started having a bit of an 'I am being singled out' moment.

I actually think it is ironic that SideSteel has actually done some mythbusting in this thread, yet you have not,
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Myth: Starvation mode
    Fact: You're not in starvation mode

You PITA :tongue: ....ok, just for DanaDark....please cite sources.
  • msgabismit
    Options
    Really... saying something you disagree with is a myth and then stating your opinion if HARDLY myth-busting.

Some of the stuff listed here as "fact" by several people is completely wrong while others list items as myths simply because they do not understand them.

/sigh

Examples?

One off the top of my head I noticed was "Myth: Starvation mode". While many have a misconception of WHAT starvation mode is, it is actually a fact.

If you want to proclaim something as fact, you have to prove it with some data.

Data:

piratesarecool.jpg

F**king thought so.