Can we start a mythbusting thread?

Options

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Myth: Our bodies all work differently

Fact: No they don't

one persons metabolism is slow, other is fast. One person hear rate is fast, the other is not, one person catches alot of colds, the other does not, one person can handle high doses of Medication the other cannot, One person grows tall the other does not, One persons internal heater runs hot, the other does not. My daughter eats the same foods as the rest of the family and she has an active job, yet she weighs more that the rest of the family. My Aunt has the same problem...mmm genectics

I have 2 2010 ford focus cars

One gets 23mpg, the other gets 25mpg

Yet they still work the same way, it does not mean they work differently

This is actually a really good analogy, and as I'm named after a car, it's even more fitting.

We all work the same, yes, but each car has different problems that can affect it. I was about to try and make analogies (for instance: lacking certain hormonal organs that sure as hell make it harder to do things) with the cars... but goddamit, I know **** about cars.
  • azzkikin
    azzkikin Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Myth:
  • lazymochabear
    Options
    Good I hate breakfast :P
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Myth: It's not cheating if you spread peanut butter on your balls and let your dog lick it off.

That's BS, it's totally cheating...or at least I have heard.

TVtIs.gif
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Myth: It's not cheating if you spread peanut butter on your balls and let your dog lick it off.

That's BS, it's totally cheating...or at least I have heard.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jessenicole
    Options
    Myth: Anything anyone ever says about insulin

Fact: Don't eat too much

Ummm.... what? As a Type 1 diabetic, I say I need insulin to stay alive. That is no myth. What kinds of things get "said about insulin" that would make you say such a thing? Just curious. I haven't heard any of those, I guess..
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Myth: You can't go over your calories during holidays or special occasions, ever, or else you'll gain weight back.

Fact: Eat the food, enjoy the break. You won't.

Disclaimer: Anything you 'gain' back will likely be excess water weight and will subside.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Myth: people that appear to eat a lot and remain lean have super charged metabolisms

Fact: they actually move more.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    If we're myth-busting do I get to blow some *kitten* up? I will grow a moustache and wear a delightful hat if necessary.

If we do, I'm in!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Ummm.... what? As a Type 1 diabetic, I say I need insulin to stay alive. That is no myth. What kinds of things get "said about insulin" that would make you say such a thing? Just curious. I haven't heard any of those, I guess..

Comes from the eating carbs = insulin spike = fat gain theory.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Myth: This thread is utterly useless.

Fact: Oh wait, it is.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Non diabetic low carb fanatics who unfortunately adhere to Gary Taubes, will often claim that insulin is the important thing to regulate for fat loss, regardless of energy balance. They neglect to consider that protein is insulinogenic among several other facts. Insulin is a very misunderstood hormone. Lastly, I'm not applying this statement to all low-carb dieters as there are plenty of them who actually understand that energy balance is still the primary determinant for weight control.

http://www.weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Myth: This thread is utterly useless.

Fact: Oh wait, it is.

Strong contribution!
  • ejbraun
    ejbraun Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If we're myth-busting do I get to blow some *kitten* up? I will grow a moustache and wear a delightful hat if necessary.

Yes Please!
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Myth: people that appear to eat a lot and remain lean have super charged metabolisms

Fact: they actually move more.

I'd also add to this this often times they aren't actually eating all that much.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Myth: "Curvy"

Fact: That word is rarely used in the proper context.

OMG, ^This.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Myth: Everyone is different

Fact: You're doing it wrong
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Myth: Shakeology is the healthiest meal of the day

Truth: It's a crappy run of the mill supplement
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Really... saying something you disagree with is a myth and then stating your opinion if HARDLY myth-busting.

Some of the stuff listed here as "fact" by several people is completely wrong while others list items as myths simply because they do not understand them.

/sigh
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Really... saying something you disagree with is a myth and then stating your opinion if HARDLY myth-busting.

Some of the stuff listed here as "fact" by several people is completely wrong while others list items as myths simply because they do not understand them.

/sigh

Examples?