Options

Replies

• fraser112
    Options
    Myth: muscle and fat weigh the same

Fact: since muscle is denser than fat it weights more so the saying
    Muscle weighs more than fat is correct.

Myth : health at every size

truth : just because an obese woman can do yoga does not change the fact they are harming their bodies.

tumblr_ly6oc8ITpj1qgk1mco1_500.jpg
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Myth: Starvation mode
    Fact: You're not in starvation mode

You PITA :tongue: ....ok, just for DanaDark....please cite sources.

Just for you :flowerforyou:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2495396/pdf/postmedj00315-0056.pdf
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I'm just big boned it. That's why I can't lose weight.
  • LilEmm
    LilEmm Posts: 240
    Options
    One method is best for all bodies.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Yes, that shows that in the specific usage of starvation mode of meaning you will stop losing weight at any calorie level, that is most definitely a myth,
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Who was left alone? The only one that I saw was the starvation mode one - and Sidesteel explained that.

As for the last sentence, what on earth are you talking about? Devastated - lolz. All you were asked for were examples. You gave one and then started having a bit of an 'I am being singled out' moment.

I actually think it is ironic that SideSteel has actually done some mythbusting in this thread, yet you have not,

LoL. "Devastated" is another aspect of my humor that doesn't translate well with text. =X I'll never stop... he he.

Having one person in an entire thread perform mythbusting is nice... would be better if it was the topic of the thread... even though it's the written topic, it is not the topic.

I am not mad, upset, sad, annoyed, etc. I am entertained. I honestly never meant for my simple statement to turn into a page+ long serious discussion. =/ Heck, I totally expected it to be ignored. At best, figured maybe one person would state a popular held myth and do some real critical mythbusting on it...
  • LilEmm
    LilEmm Posts: 240
    Options
    I believe she's referencing the pressure system mentality that being thin is the only acceptable way for women to be, hence the insanely high incidences of anorexia and bulimia. It's a mindset she is addressing, which is pretty powerful.

truth : just because an obese woman can do yoga does not change the fact they are harming their bodies.

tumblr_ly6oc8ITpj1qgk1mco1_500.jpg
    [/quote]
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

Yes, that shows that in the specific usage of starvation mode of meaning you will stop losing weight at any calorie level, that is most definitely a myth,

Which is the most common definition used on mfp
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Myth: I came to MFP for the fitness

Fact: I came for the boobs.

i came for the fitness, but stayed for the boobs. even though i'm more of a butt-man.

High five, brutha!!!

:happy:
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Myth: MFP massively over estimates exercise calories

Fact: it might for you but for those I have been able to verify with a HRM for me it has been accurate to within 50 calories or so
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Myth: The bigger you are the more calories you burn.

Damn I wish this was true. I always see people posting huge calorie burns in short amounts of time - because they've got a lot of extra weight. I have a ton to lose and no matter how hard I bust my butt my burns are tiny. I'm sure it's true for some people but it just makes me insane and super frustrated because it is totally not true in my case.

This is actually true. The more weight you have, the more calories you burn. Lets say you lose 50 lbs. You will burn less calories just walking around than the previous you. If you don't believe me, try carrying a 50lb weight around and see if you burn more calories. Also, how are you measuring your burns?

Well that would be unfortunate - because if I burn any less I should just give up exercising all together, as it is it barely seems worth it to me. I use an HRM. I have never even come close to burning the 500-1000 calories in an half hour or hour that I see other people posting up. It may be true for others but NOT for me.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Myth- Eat less to weigh less.
    Myth- Eat more to weigh more is a myth because we are here because we all ate too much to gain the weight.

Fact- You are here because you probably consumed more than you burned, AND consumed junk food laced with preservatives and fat and sugar. You are here because you rather have watched the newest episode of the big bang theory and not take 30 minutes to work out. You are here because you did not know anything about nutrition and bought into "quick fix diets" that caused your metabolism to crash and think you are starving so when you fell off your diet, you gained it back and then some.

See people are fat because they don't have DVRs. I can go to the gym and then watch the newest episode of the big bang theory when it is convienient to ME. Not only is it about balance in how you eat, its about balance in how you live. I don't go to the gym until my wife and daughter have gone to sleep. Then I go to the gym, then I have a cookie and watch big bang theory or the walking dead. I definately cannot watch that while my wife and daughter are up because it scares the poop out of them :noway:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Damn I wish this was true. I always see people posting huge calorie burns in short amounts of time - because they've got a lot of extra weight. I have a ton to lose and no matter how hard I bust my butt my burns are tiny. I'm sure it's true for some people but it just makes me insane and super frustrated because it is totally not true in my case.

This is actually true. The more weight you have, the more calories you burn. Lets say you lose 50 lbs. You will burn less calories just walking around than the previous you. If you don't believe me, try carrying a 50lb weight around and see if you burn more calories. Also, how are you measuring your burns?

Well that would be unfortunate - because if I burn any less I should just give up exercising all together, as it is it barely seems worth it to me. I use an HRM. I have never even come close to burning the 500-1000 calories in an half hour or hour that I see other people posting up. It may be true for others but NOT for me.

Myth: you are a special snowflake

Truth: You're not
  • msgabismit
    Options
    Myth- Eat less to weigh less.
    Myth- Eat more to weigh more is a myth because we are here because we all ate too much to gain the weight.

Fact- You are here because you probably consumed more than you burned, AND consumed junk food laced with preservatives and fat and sugar. You are here because you rather have watched the newest episode of the big bang theory and not take 30 minutes to work out. You are here because you did not know anything about nutrition and bought into "quick fix diets" that caused your metabolism to crash and think you are starving so when you fell off your diet, you gained it back and then some.

See people are fat because they don't have DVRs. I can go to the gym and then watch the newest episode of the big bang theory when it is convienient to ME. Not only is it about balance in how you eat, its about balance in how you live. I don't go to the gym until my wife and daughter have gone to sleep. Then I go to the gym, then I have a cookie and watch big bang theory or the walking dead. I definately cannot watch that while my wife and daughter are up because it scares the poop out of them :noway:

Love those shows!!!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options

It may be a good indication that some people are reporting more than they are actually burning.
  • justarandomperson
    Options
    Myth: "Curvy"

Fact: That word is rarely used in the proper context.

I could not agree more!
    When fat girls say they love their curves and you feel like commenting "not to spoil your body love, but on a circle the correct term is 'curve' " :laugh:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Myth: you are a special snowflake

Truth: You're not

:laugh: As long as I'm not the special yellow snow...
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    If we're myth-busting do I get to blow some *kitten* up? I will grow a moustache and wear a delightful hat if necessary.

I would like to marry you now.
  • safrancis
    Options
    So if this is a myth... if I don't get my 8 glasses in per day I'm not a BAD Girl? I feel so guilty sometimes.