Can we start a mythbusting thread?

Options

Replies

• LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Myth: you MUST drink at least 8 glasses of water a day to lose weight.

Truth: No one really knows where that number came from.

24278935.jpg

Tsk!
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Myth: Baby fat

Fact: You're 32 d*mnit

Ahem ... I think at 32, the baby fat may come from the fact you had one (or 2) not that you are one.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Myth: You have to "eat more to weigh less"

Fact: Most of us are here because we got fat eating too much and "EMWL" is often (but not always, settle down) a tag line for justifying crappy food. Please, 5' females, stop letting 6'2, 210 pound male body builders tell you how much to eat and then start a thread a month later on why you aren't loosing. DERP.

While I agree with your premise about people eating too much, I think singling out bodybuilders is a bit rude.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Myth: Muscle weights more than fat, so when you start working out (lifting or cardio) you might gain muscle weight...
    Fact: 1 day of "working out" will NOT put on 2-3lbs of muscle. In anyone...period.

It's water weight, muscle are used to being a couch potato and they are retaining water. Unless you went over your calories by 7000 in one day. In which, BRAVO! :noway:
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Myth: Baby fat

Fact: You're 32 d*mnit

^ ROFL!
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options

Fact: Most of us are here because we got fat eating too much and "EMWL" is often (but not always, settle down) a tag line for justifying crappy food. Please, 5' females, stop letting 6'2, 210 pound male body builders tell you how much to eat and then start a thread a month later on why you aren't loosing. DERP.

While I agree with your premise about people eating too much, I think singling out bodybuilders is a bit rude.

Oooh wasn't trying to single them out, just saying that you can't really let someone who can't relate to your body tell you what's best for you. I've never actually seen a body builder tell someone who wasn't a body builder how to eat. I was just being "funny". I love body builders............... *mouth breathing*
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Myth: Weighing yourself everyday will make the weight come off faster...

Fact: Seriously?
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Myth : carbs are evil

Truth : carbs are yummy
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Myth: Women will get bulky by lifting heavy weights.

Truth: :noway:
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    myth: You don’t have to count calories

Fact: calories in < calories out = weight loss
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Myth: "I have big bones"

Fact: Lolwut? Wide frame, sure. Big bones....I'm thinking nay.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

technically you you don't have to count calories to lose weight
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Myth: Clean foods

Fact: You have to consider the context of the person's entire diet.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options

The fact remains calories in < calories out = weight loss, if your paying attention to your food intake and purposefully keeping it below your energy expenditure then you are "technically" counting calories whether you are putting a number to them or not.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options

I am a 5' tall female and what they body builders tell me works more often than not actually :-)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Diet pills help... not the calorie deficit and exericse that you do alone with it.

myth: The only weight you lose in in your wallet.

Dr. Oz sells and pushes only real and scientifically proven products

Myth... you are kidding me right?
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

The fact remains calories in < calories out = weight loss, if your paying attention to your food intake and purposefully keeping it below your energy expenditure then you are "technically" counting calories whether you are putting a number to them or not.

So if I eat less for any reason, i'm "counting calories"?
    Seems legit good job
  • terrabit
    terrabit Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Myth: situps/crunches will shrink your tummy
    Fact: You cannot target fat zones ... fat just comes off wherever its genetically programmed to. Reduce your overall bodyfat.

Myth: "Toning"
    Fact: There's no such thing... only fat reduction and muscle-building. Do both, and you will look "toned".

Myth: "Diets"
    Fact: There are no "diets"... only YOUR diet. Permanently change that and you will look the way you want.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Guys and gals, all these myths are actually true. YOu can try and deny them but I know they're true because this trainer at my gym can bench 400 and he said they are true.

Also I did some research on this and I have a graph here that explains things;
    n6ov2a.jpg