Can we start a mythbusting thread?

Options

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Myth: Our bodies all work differently

Fact: No they don't

one persons metabolism is slow, other is fast. One person hear rate is fast, the other is not, one person catches alot of colds, the other does not, one person can handle high doses of Medication the other cannot, One person grows tall the other does not, One persons internal heater runs hot, the other does not. My daughter eats the same foods as the rest of the family and she has an active job, yet she weighs more that the rest of the family. My Aunt has the same problem...mmm genectics

I have 2 2010 ford focus cars

One gets 23mpg, the other gets 25mpg

Yet they still work the same way, it does not mean they work differently
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Myth: "Toning"
    Fact: There's no such thing... only fat reduction and muscle-building. Do both, and you will look "toned".

OK I have questions - I know this is true that there's no such thing as spot toning. But when I go to my aerobics class or do my aerobics video and we're doing triceps, the teacher ALWAYS says "this is so great for toning your arms and getting rid of your problem area." Is there literally nothing to this? Why do we even do triceps and squats and shoulder press-ups then? What IS the benefit? Especially since I'm on a calorie deficit now so according to one poster here I can't really gain muscle on a deficit, then what is the point of lifting any weights? Thanks.

Your instructor is wrong regarding problem areas. Resistance training during a deficit helps to retain LBM while you lose weight. Losing weight without proper training stimulus basically puts you at risk for losing more muscle mass than you should.... I didn't word that very well...
  • DeadsandOats
    DeadsandOats Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Myth: You shouldn't believe everything you read on an internet forum.

Fact: Oops just created a paradox.
  • almostmrsfox
    almostmrsfox Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ha! These are great!
  • Whimzeee
    Whimzeee Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Bumping
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If we're myth-busting do I get to blow some *kitten* up? I will grow a moustache and wear a delightful hat if necessary.

snidely-whiplash-by-nightrpstar-cc.jpg
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Myth: You have to "eat more to weigh less"

Fact: Most of us are here because we got fat eating too much and "EMWL" is often (but not always, settle down) a tag line for justifying crappy food. Please, 5' females, stop letting 6'2, 210 pound male body builders tell you how much to eat and then start a thread a month later on why you aren't loosing. DERP.

Myth: To lose weight you should eat the smallest number of calories possible.

Fact: A small calorie deficit will cause fat loss while retaining LBM, provided some type of resistance/strength training is done to work your muscles. Stop trying to lose the weight as fast as you can. DERP

Yeahhhh that's what I said. Oh.. wait. Or I just said that you can't let the cries of "you HAVE TO DO THIS" dictate what works for your body. Let's go with that.

You're cranky on every single thread I see you posting on. Maybe you need to up your calories, you're sort of testy. Especially when people talk about low calories.... gasp... on a diet website.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    oo nice thread..

Myth: You should only eat if your hungry

Fact: Eating little calories a few times daily (or waiting until you are really hungry)may result in your hunger feeling being reduced but your body still needs fuel and nutrients during the day when you may not feel hungry.
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    If we're myth-busting do I get to blow some *kitten* up? I will grow a moustache and wear a delightful hat if necessary.

OK, I'll go get buster and let's blow a cement truck up!!!! TNT!!!
  • ashleen7
    ashleen7 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Myth: women who lift heavy look like muscly freaks.

Fact: women who lift heavy usually look freakin awesome.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Myth: "I gain muscle really fast so I shouldn't lift heavy"
    Fact: no you don't. Yes, YOU
  • katikate
    katikate Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Myth: anyone skinny is anorexic, and anyone overweight has no willpower
    Fact: Yeah, no, doesn't work that way

Myth: The BMI is a catch all great way to tell if someone is healthy
    Fact: The BMI doesnt take into account lifestyle, body type, muscle gain....
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Myth: Our bodies all work differently

Fact: No they don't

one persons metabolism is slow, other is fast. One person hear rate is fast, the other is not, one person catches alot of colds, the other does not, one person can handle high doses of Medication the other cannot, One person grows tall the other does not, One persons internal heater runs hot, the other does not. My daughter eats the same foods as the rest of the family and she has an active job, yet she weighs more that the rest of the family. My Aunt has the same problem...mmm genectics

I have 2 2010 ford focus cars

One gets 23mpg, the other gets 25mpg

Yet they still work the same way, it does not mean they work differently

I think that it's the same as in we breath, our hearts beat, our blood flows, but beyond that there are vast differences. Does that mean that a person cannot lose weight or be healthy? Absolutely not. Calories in, calories out. Personal choice, personal responsibility.....

If we were all the same and our bodies all work alike or even close then there would be one "diet" fits all.

What about allergies, hormones, being male, being female, genetics, illness? There are so many factors that make us all different. Again, I do not think these are reasons for making poor choices for ones health.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Fact: Most of us are here because we got fat eating too much and "EMWL" is often (but not always, settle down) a tag line for justifying crappy food. Please, 5' females, stop letting 6'2, 210 pound male body builders tell you how much to eat and then start a thread a month later on why you aren't loosing. DERP.

Fact: A small calorie deficit will cause fat loss while retaining LBM, provided some type of resistance/strength training is done to work your muscles. Stop trying to lose the weight as fast as you can. DERP

Yeahhhh that's what I said. Oh.. wait. Or I just said that you can't let the cries of "you HAVE TO DO THIS" dictate what works for your body. Let's go with that.

You're cranky on every single thread I see you posting on. Maybe you need to up your calories, you're sort of testy. Especially when people talk about low calories.... gasp... on a diet website.

I'm cranky? Really?

What an interesting observation. I suppose SideSteel was cranky too, in his comment? Or do guys with sexy abs get a pass?

FTR: I am eating more than you. :laugh: :tongue:

I *will* grant you that I'm opinionated. But cranky... hardly.
    :smokin:
  • DeadsandOats
    DeadsandOats Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Don't get the IFer's all riled up. I only eat twice a day.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    A lot of diet advice really relates to how to eat less - small meals, no eating after 8, low-carb, etc... they are all just ways to lose weight without logging food.
  • annehdavis
    annehdavis Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    yeah cuz you can totally beleive everything on the internet !!!:noway:
  • Queen8shaq
    Options
    Bump
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Oh hi personal attack. Yeah, pretty sure WendyTerry's one of those "tells it like it is/logical/objective" people... guess you see that as "cranky"?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Oh hi personal attack. Yeah, pretty sure WendyTerry's one of those "tells it like it is/logical/objective" people... guess you see that as "cranky"?

No, "tells it like it is/logical/objective" people are bullies right?

Seriously though, I've never seen Wendy be cranky. I'm actually wondering where that came from......