Can we start a mythbusting thread?

Options

Replies

• DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Myth- Eat less to weigh less.
    Myth- Eat more to weigh more is a myth because we are here because we all ate too much to gain the weight.

Fact- You are here because you probably consumed more than you burned, AND consumed junk food laced with preservatives and fat and sugar. You are here because you rather have watched the newest episode of the big bang theory and not take 30 minutes to work out. You are here because you did not know anything about nutrition and bought into "quick fix diets" that caused your metabolism to crash and think you are starving so when you fell off your diet, you gained it back and then some.

See people are fat because they don't have DVRs. I can go to the gym and then watch the newest episode of the big bang theory when it is convienient to ME. Not only is it about balance in how you eat, its about balance in how you live. I don't go to the gym until my wife and daughter have gone to sleep. Then I go to the gym, then I have a cookie and watch big bang theory or the walking dead. I definately cannot watch that while my wife and daughter are up because it scares the poop out of them :noway:

Love those shows!!!

Aww :( How can that show scare them?! I can't go one week with out my episodes of The Walking Dead!!
  • cyclingben
    cyclingben Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Myth: "Curvy"

Fact: That word is rarely used in the proper context.

I could not agree more!
    When fat girls say they love their curves and you feel like commenting "not to spoil your body love, but on a circle the correct term is 'curve' " :laugh:

Very Very true
  • jessgumkowski88
    jessgumkowski88 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    bump because i like reading these :smile:
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Myth: You have to "eat more to weigh less"

Fact: Most of us are here because we got fat eating too much and "EMWL" is often (but not always, settle down) a tag line for justifying crappy food. Please, 5' females, stop letting 6'2, 210 pound male body builders tell you how much to eat and then start a thread a month later on why you aren't loosing. DERP.

While I agree with your premise about people eating too much, I think singling out bodybuilders is a bit rude.

I actually didn't take that as "singling out bodybuilders" but she has a point. A bodybuilder's goals and eating patterns aren't generally in line with those of a woman trying to get lean and sculpt. They just aren't the same. While I'm sure the bodybuilder is likely to have really good advice about how to go about sculpting and reducing body fat because they spend a LOT of time cutting for competitions... what one person does (be they a bodybuilder or not) doesn't always work for someone else. Whatever combination of diet and excercise that one person uses isn't going to be any kind of bible for another person to follow as gospel, whether they're a bodybuilder or not.

And for the record... at 5'8" & 157lbs I was told I'm OVERWEIGHT by a bodybuilder/trainer at my gym, who told me that I'm not likely to EVER get thinner legs or lose weight from RUNNING. Well... that goes to show him... I'm down to 149lbs now, ALL from diet and running, & my legs are no longer disproportionate to my waist size. So now, I can walk in to a store & try on any pants I want & they are all fitting properly. I guess maybe his opinion wasn't gospel was it?

One person's opinion on you, your body, your habits, what you should do, need to do, or can't do.... is ONE PERSON's opinion. Take what common sense tells you is good advice when you hear it (regardless of the source), and eventually you'll learn by trial and error what works for you and what doesn't.

Good luck on your fitness journey... both of you!
  • Leo_Jasmine
    Options
    I actually just read an article that stated Breakfast IS actually good for your metabolism and energy level so I am confused where others are hearing different
    http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/weight-loss/fact-or-fiction-eating-breakfast-can-help-you-lose-weight.html
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Myth: Not knowing TDEE and BMR will help me lose!

Fact: Knowing those two numbers are an aid in weight loss

Myth: "Diets" work!

Fact: no they don't. They just don't. And anyone who says it does is full of it!!!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Myth: muscle and fat weigh the same

Fact: since muscle is denser than fat it weights more so the saying
    Muscle weighs more than fat is correct.

Myth : health at every size

truth : just because an obese woman can do yoga does not change the fact they are harming their bodies.

tumblr_ly6oc8ITpj1qgk1mco1_500.jpg

Oh, wow! Politically correct gone awry!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Myth: The bigger you are the more calories you burn.

Damn I wish this was true. I always see people posting huge calorie burns in short amounts of time - because they've got a lot of extra weight. I have a ton to lose and no matter how hard I bust my butt my burns are tiny. I'm sure it's true for some people but it just makes me insane and super frustrated because it is totally not true in my case.

This is actually true. The more weight you have, the more calories you burn. Lets say you lose 50 lbs. You will burn less calories just walking around than the previous you. If you don't believe me, try carrying a 50lb weight around and see if you burn more calories. Also, how are you measuring your burns?

Well that would be unfortunate - because if I burn any less I should just give up exercising all together, as it is it barely seems worth it to me. I use an HRM. I have never even come close to burning the 500-1000 calories in an half hour or hour that I see other people posting up. It may be true for others but NOT for me.

I would guess that *most* of those people aren't actually burning that amount. It could be, but it's doubtful.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I actually just read an article that stated Breakfast IS actually good for your metabolism and energy level so I am confused where others are hearing different
    http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/weight-loss/fact-or-fiction-eating-breakfast-can-help-you-lose-weight.html

One article =/= fact. You have to read and research and read and research. The big thing you should do? Look at studies. Your link doesn't cite a single reference... that should be a red flag for any website.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ly6oc8ITpj1qgk1mco1_500.jpg

Myth: This isn't photoshopped.

Fact: I can tell by the pixels.
  • Ivian_
    Ivian_ Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Myth: They can't post anything on the internet that isn't true.

Fact: Message me so I can send you the link to my CL ad about the plot of land I am selling on Mars.

:laugh:
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Myth: "I have big bones"

Fact: Lolwut? Wide frame, sure. Big bones....I'm thinking nay.

I am a "big boned" gal - just had my DEXA scan done - ALL the bones in my body weigh 3.249 kg (7lbs) - so yes biggest myth out that you weigh more because of your bones!!
  • vegapsi
    Options
    Myth: Having hot chocolate will make your chocolate cravings go away.
    Fact: Having chocolate makes my chocolate cravings go away.

Myth: Drink water to fill you up.
    Fact: Eating food fills me up.
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Myth: Anything anyone ever says about insulin

Fact: Don't eat too much

Ummm.... what? As a Type 1 diabetic, I say I need insulin to stay alive. That is no myth. What kinds of things get "said about insulin" that would make you say such a thing? Just curious. I haven't heard any of those, I guess..

Non diabetic low carb fanatics who unfortunately adhere to Gary Taubes, will often claim that insulin is the important thing to regulate for fat loss, regardless of energy balance. They neglect to consider that protein is insulinogenic among several other facts. Insulin is a very misunderstood hormone. Lastly, I'm not applying this statement to all low-carb dieters as there are plenty of them who actually understand that energy balance is still the primary determinant for weight control.

http://www.weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

Interesting article, I have to go back and read his references - I'm another Type 1 diabetic, and have to take insulin 4 times a day.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Fact: Most of us are here because we got fat eating too much and "EMWL" is often (but not always, settle down) a tag line for justifying crappy food. Please, 5' females, stop letting 6'2, 210 pound male body builders tell you how much to eat and then start a thread a month later on why you aren't loosing. DERP.

While I agree with your premise about people eating too much, I think singling out bodybuilders is a bit rude.

I actually didn't take that as "singling out bodybuilders" but she has a point. A bodybuilder's goals and eating patterns aren't generally in line with those of a woman trying to get lean and sculpt. They just aren't the same. While I'm sure the bodybuilder is likely to have really good advice about how to go about sculpting and reducing body fat because they spend a LOT of time cutting for competitions... what one person does (be they a bodybuilder or not) doesn't always work for someone else. Whatever combination of diet and excercise that one person uses isn't going to be any kind of bible for another person to follow as gospel, whether they're a bodybuilder or not.

And for the record... at 5'8" & 157lbs I was told I'm OVERWEIGHT by a bodybuilder/trainer at my gym, who told me that I'm not likely to EVER get thinner legs or lose weight from RUNNING. Well... that goes to show him... I'm down to 149lbs now, ALL from diet and running, & my legs are no longer disproportionate to my waist size. So now, I can walk in to a store & try on any pants I want & they are all fitting properly. I guess maybe his opinion wasn't gospel was it?

One person's opinion on you, your body, your habits, what you should do, need to do, or can't do.... is ONE PERSON's opinion. Take what common sense tells you is good advice when you hear it (regardless of the source), and eventually you'll learn by trial and error what works for you and what doesn't.

Good luck on your fitness journey... both of you!

I do not think she has a point. If a 6 2" body builder tells someone to eat what they do, well they are stupid. But that does not mean that they do not have an idea of what would be a beneficial way to help others meet their goals. The basics are still the same - you want to get lean, you eat less than you expend. You want to get muscle definition, you strength train. The extremes you go to and the exact program will obviously be different. Also, re your experience at the gym - you get people that do not give good information no matter what their profession is.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    So if this is a myth... if I don't get my 8 glasses in per day I'm not a BAD Girl? I feel so guilty sometimes.

Myth.

Go by thirst and pee color.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Myth: This isn't photoshopped.

Fact: I can tell by the pixels.

mind-blown-11.jpeg
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    How about a mythbusters episode on once you go black you never go back

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

Myth: You have to eat like a bird to lose weight.

Myth: We all got fat by eating a moderate amount of calories, exercising, having self-control, and enjoying things we like in moderation. No, it definitely wasn't pigging out on McD's every day...

Myth: Women who eat more than 1200 calories are just gluttons and eat pizza all day.

Myth: Women who eat more than 1200 calories and lift weights are mistakenly listening to giant male body builders, and will continue to be fat and gluttonous and gross. There's no way they could be following the advice of lean, strong women who are under 5'5", wear size 4 jeans, and eat 2000 calories a day.

Truth: Do your research, honey. :flowerforyou:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Myth: The bigger you are the more calories you burn.

Damn I wish this was true. I always see people posting huge calorie burns in short amounts of time - because they've got a lot of extra weight. I have a ton to lose and no matter how hard I bust my butt my burns are tiny. I'm sure it's true for some people but it just makes me insane and super frustrated because it is totally not true in my case.

This is actually true. The more weight you have, the more calories you burn. Lets say you lose 50 lbs. You will burn less calories just walking around than the previous you. If you don't believe me, try carrying a 50lb weight around and see if you burn more calories. Also, how are you measuring your burns?

Well that would be unfortunate - because if I burn any less I should just give up exercising all together, as it is it barely seems worth it to me. I use an HRM. I have never even come close to burning the 500-1000 calories in an half hour or hour that I see other people posting up. It may be true for others but NOT for me.

Maybe you need to "give it" a bit more. I'm small and burn about 300 calories per half hour running 5K so I have no doubt someone large could burn 500 or more doing the same thing. You only get out of exercise what you put in.