• alicialee05
    alicialee05 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    "everyone in my family is skinny, I must've gotten the fat genes"

..... I hear this quite a lot.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Myth(s): Eating 1200 cals per day is good for you and will help you lose weight and keep it off the "experts say" so and my personal experience proven that (fill in the blank) therefore since it is good and works for me it is also good and will work for you too. MYTH!

AND

Eating 1200 cals per day is bad for you and won't help you lose weight but will cause you to go into starvation mode and you'll stay fat forever the "experts say"so and my personal experience has proven that (fill in the blank) therefore since it is good and works for me it is also good and will work for you too. MYTH!

Truth: Everyone is different, what works for some may work or may not work for others. eating 1200 cals per day for some people is wrong, eating 1200 cals per day for some people is right. The do as I do and say/believe eating and exercising routines and it'll work for you too is a big ole myth.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Myth: Our bodies all work differently

Fact: No they don't
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Fat makes you fat

Myth: Fat is actually very healthy for you and in fact, low fat diets have been proven to be less effective than other types of diets.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Myth: I came to MFP for the fitness

Fact: I came for the boobs.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Myth: A thread such as this can survive to 500 posts.
    Fact: We shall see.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Myth: I am gaining lot's of muscle in a calorie deficit.
    Fact: Beyond a couple of pounds of newbie gains, you need a calorie surplus to gain muscle.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Myth: Dr. Oz is a recognized authority on weight loss, supplements, diets, and nutrition and has your best interest at heart in everything he promotes.

Fact: Dr. Oz is a "snake oil" salesman trying to make a buck.
  • PrivateVenue
    PrivateVenue Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Myth: Muscle weighs more than fat.

Fact: Muscle is more dense. A pound of muscle is the same as a pound of fat.

Myth: You can burn 1,000 calories doing low impact exercise for 30 minutes.

Fact: Pretty much all of the calculations on exercises on this site are WRONG. Wear a HRM.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Bumping this for later :)
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    Guys and gals, all these myths are actually true. YOu can try and deny them but I know they're true because this trainer at my gym can bench 400 and he said they are true.

Also I did some research on this and I have a graph here that explains things;
    n6ov2a.jpg

This is great! You better patent that before I steal it... you've been warned.
  • Bernadettetoo
    Options
    Myth: You should eat 6 small meals a day

Fact: This does absolutely nothing in terms of weight loss. If 3 meals a day plus snacks keep you satisfied, then go for it. If 6 small meals is more to your liking, great- then eat that way. There is no magic combination of meals that will make you lose weight any faster.

This
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options

one persons metabolism is slow, other is fast. One person hear rate is fast, the other is not, one person catches alot of colds, the other does not, one person can handle high doses of Medication the other cannot, One person grows tall the other does not, One persons internal heater runs hot, the other does not. My daughter eats the same foods as the rest of the family and she has an active job, yet she weighs more that the rest of the family. My Aunt has the same problem...mmm genectics
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Myth: We're all unique, special snowflakes.

Fact: We're not.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Myth: You have to "eat more to weigh less"

Fact: Most of us are here because we got fat eating too much and "EMWL" is often (but not always, settle down) a tag line for justifying crappy food. Please, 5' females, stop letting 6'2, 210 pound male body builders tell you how much to eat and then start a thread a month later on why you aren't loosing. DERP.

Myth: To lose weight you should eat the smallest number of calories possible.

Fact: A small calorie deficit will cause fat loss while retaining LBM, provided some type of resistance/strength training is done to work your muscles. Stop trying to lose the weight as fast as you can. DERP
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

one persons metabolism is slow, other is fast. One person hear rate is fast, the other is not, one person catches alot of colds, the other does not, one person can handle high doses of Medication the other cannot, One person grows tall the other does not, One persons internal heater runs hot, the other does not. My daughter eats the same foods as the rest of the family and she has an active job, yet she weighs more that the rest of the family. My Aunt has the same problem...mmm genectics

But the process of weight gain and weight loss is still remarkably similar despite all of the above differences.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    Myth: We're all unique, special snowflakes.

Fact: We're not.

My bubble is totally bursting here...
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Myth; You are actually going to achieve something other than debates

Fact; So many people; so many opinions
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Myth: you MUST drink at least 8 glasses of water a day to lose weight.

Truth: No one really knows where that number came from.

The 8 glasses/day to be healthy came from US Army recommendations to soldiers during WWII. For weight loss, who the heck knows, but it does stop me from eating when really I am simply thirsty.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Myth: "Toning"
    Fact: There's no such thing... only fat reduction and muscle-building. Do both, and you will look "toned".

OK I have questions - I know this is true that there's no such thing as spot toning. But when I go to my aerobics class or do my aerobics video and we're doing triceps, the teacher ALWAYS says "this is so great for toning your arms and getting rid of your problem area." Is there literally nothing to this? Why do we even do triceps and squats and shoulder press-ups then? What IS the benefit? Especially since I'm on a calorie deficit now so according to one poster here I can't really gain muscle on a deficit, then what is the point of lifting any weights? Thanks.