I drink about a bottle of wine a day. Should I cut back?

Options

Replies

• SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    Was your liver bad and you felt a need to punish it?

Of course its bad, its binge drinking. Granted a bottle of wine is much nicer sounding then a six pack of beer, but alcohol is alcohol and our bodies can only handle so much of it.
  • vstraughan
    vstraughan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Laughing my *kitten* of at the comedy comments. I like a large glass of red most nights (and track the calories) but even I'm aware that I need to cut down, although I refuse to cut it out completely.

If you comment is serious, which the more I read the more I'm not convinced, then you really REALLY need to cut back. Would you drink 4 pints of beer a day, 7 days a week and expect it to be ok? Whether it's the sugar or empty calories for your diet, whether its your liver or whether it's a future alchohol problem and all that brings, start cutting back NOW!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

Of course its bad, its binge drinking. Granted a bottle of wine is much nicer sounding then a six pack of beer, but alcohol is alcohol and our bodies can only handle so much of it.

It's not a binge if it's every night.

More of a lifestyle.

Anyway, on topic, no.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    If it's boxed wine ... count towards your water?

Chateaux Cardboard, love it ... Bottle schmottle ...
  • Rossa59
    Rossa59 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'd say stick with what you are comfortable with as if you cut it out you'll only crave it more and then binge drink if you lose control. I drink a glass of wine with lunch, an aperitif before dinner and a glass of wine with dinner. About 500 mls a day. Been drinking that for years (now 54) and it's just a lifestyle habit. I've still lost 25lbs without needing to cut it out. And I'll drink a beer, cider or alcoholic ginger beer occasionally. Also drink loads of water and black tea (3-4 litres) to keep me hydrated.

Was brought up as a francophile with a Dad who was a wine merchant, holidays in France etc. Guess it all depends on what you can tolerate. If you get a 'wine headache' in the morning that's probably a sign it's too much, though that can also be a reaction to the sulphites used in the winemaking process. Cheaper wines are the worst for that. Rather have less of a good quality wine that a whole bottle of plonk. Somehow a meal ain't complete without a glass of my favourite 'fruit juice' ;-)
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

It's not a binge if it's every night.

More of a lifestyle.

Anyway, on topic, no.

Thats kinda what im thinking hombre.....A lifestyle!
    Cheers mates!!!:drinker:
  • hulahula86
    Options
    To me it seems to be a lot... I mean that's almost 5ish beers a night. Empty calories yes but it's also a lot of alcohol. The recommended is two a night for men. To me it's fine once in awhile but every single night is making it addictive. How long have you been doing this? It's awesome you can still work out and everything, but maybe the alcohol isn't so good after exercising. Every night is a little much... Have you considered talking to a counselor about this? It sucks I know, but I'm just trying to help... When we depend on something it sucks... I know from experience.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    It seems to be a pretty common amount for people I know.....
    I did recently hear a saying -
    Everything you drink immediately enters your bloodstream.
    Everything you eat eventually becomes your blood.
    Some people's blood is worth bottling!
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    :tongue:
    To me it seems to be a lot... I mean that's almost 5ish beers a night. Empty calories yes but it's also a lot of alcohol. The recommended is two a night for men. To me it's fine once in awhile but every single night is making it addictive. How long have you been doing this? It's awesome you can still work out and everything, but maybe the alcohol isn't so good after exercising. Every night is a little much... Have you considered talking to a counselor about this? It sucks I know, but I'm just trying to help... When we depend on something it sucks... I know from experience.

Someone didn't read through the posts... He said he was cutting back a while ago. In any case, I find it interesting that there are so many people in this forum who project alcoholism onto the OP and suggest he seek treatment. They all seem to think their own personal issues legitimize their claims.
    Not trying to muck up the issue, but there are plenty of people on this forum who drink or eat one specific thing everyday (ice cream, pop tarts, spinach) and no one's preaching moderation at them.

Well, no one who's preaching is being taken seriously, anyway.
  • BEERRUNNER
    Options
    Gracias babycakes !^^^ You totally get what my direction is...............I am cutting back...ever so slightly :bigsmile:
    However today is Friday and Im gonna let it rip!!! My cheat day!!! MERLOT!!!!!!
    Im lifting heavy tommorow....THis is how im gonna tear it up......

WARMUP:
    Dips and Pull ups
    Crunches and Back extensions(with 25lb weight)

The BEEF of the workout:

Seated Cable rows
    Bench press
    Lunges

Wattt upppP!
  • BEERRUNNER
    Options
    Oh Oh Happy new years!!!! the drink of choice today will be ....merlot! :devil:

I will be going to the gym this afternoon to account for the calories im gonna flex tonight!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Oh Oh Happy new years!!!! the drink of choice today will be ....merlot! :devil:

I will be going to the gym this afternoon to account for the calories im gonna flex tonight!

Dude! Why'd you necro this really old thread?!?

OP probably deactivated long ago.

Oh, wait. Never mind.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    graphics-alcohol-784542.gif
    God bless 'ya, Happy New Year!
  • RivenV
    Options
    Merlot is always a fine choice!

f8173edb713cd2c49315b89ea280eac1-awesome-corgi-rolls-down-the-stairs-on-purpose.gif
    ... Just don't have too much! :tongue:
  • ckauszler
    ckauszler Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should. Any type of alcohol will inhibit your success trying to stay healthy/lose weight.
  • RivenV
    Options
    Yes, you should. Any type of alcohol will inhibit your success trying to stay healthy/lose weight.

Whaaaaaaat.gif
  • hulahula86
    Options
    :tongue:

Someone didn't read through the posts... He said he was cutting back a while ago. In any case, I find it interesting that there are so many people in this forum who project alcoholism onto the OP and suggest he seek treatment. They all seem to think their own personal issues legitimize their claims.
    Not trying to muck up the issue, but there are plenty of people on this forum who drink or eat one specific thing everyday (ice cream, pop tarts, spinach) and no one's preaching moderation at them.

Well, no one who's preaching is being taken seriously, anyway.

I must have missed those posts as it is hard to see the whole thread on the mobile app. Anyways, LOL. I never said "alcoholism" but rather referred to the addictive nature of the wine. I think it's great to cut back if someone wants to regardless of the reason, lose weight, whatever. And the counselor suggestion was based on the fact that if you are asking a question like this on a forum... doesn't that imply that you are seeking a verbal response? If you had posted "I eat a box of pop tarts every day. should i cut back?" i would have had the said some of the same things. Anyways, your post was just a passive aggressive way of trying to muck up the thoughts of other people on here. Seems pretty petty to look and pass on your judgment in these forums when in reality we are here to give input to someone that asked.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    A bottle of wine a night doesn't seem so bad.... I hit the Jameson every night and still get up to run at 4:30 a.m.... I drink hard and run hard and works for me.....

ETA to correct my alcohol-induced misspellings....
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Another zombie thread :indifferent:
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I think you already know the answer.